Favorite YouTube Channels

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2020 07:13 am
Especially with the pandemic, I find my self spending a lot of time on YouTube. It's kind of like a TV with tens of thousands of channels. By now, I am probably subscribed to more than 50 channels. Here are a few good ones. Do you have YouTube channels to recommend?

1. Enoma
A couple in India react hearing Western rock songs for the first time. They don't know much about Western music, particularly the wife, but they're smart and get a lot of understanding out of listening.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-lUDsUcjn1H1zU8y6gdtRQ

2. Tom Richey
A high school history teacher who has hundreds of videos explaining different things in history in a very simple and entertaining way.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJcjFtDGPBZ3SQGL-0WxFcg

3. Joel and Lia
A British man and woman who react to various things about America and sometimes even visit America.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmZbPH1hIdmhT8DpCjPm_vw

4. Rel Reacts
A British man who is going through all the top rock hits of every year beginning in 1958. It's interesting to see him become aware of the greatest hits of rock'n roll for the first time in his life.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 1,559 • Replies: 19
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2020 07:51 am
@Brandon9000,
These guys are adorable and are starting to get some fame - Twins the New Trend - 2 young guys (sometimes with their little brother) listen to older music. They've listened to (and loved) Dolly Parton's Jolene, Steely Dan's Do It Again, etc. But they really got attention for their reaction to Phil Collins's In the Air Tonight.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=twinsthenewtrend
Brandon9000

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2020 07:56 am
@jespah,
Yes. I'm subscribed to them. They were actually featured for three or four minutes one night on Fox News, and I think once on CBS News too. The thing that makes them interesting is that they know very little about rock history so that everything is new to them.
0 Replies

justaguy2

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2020 08:18 am
@Brandon9000,
If you are interested malware, this channel might be of interest;

https://www.youtube.com/c/danooct1/videos

Although, they haven't uploaded as many videos in recent years as they did in the past. And while there is some newer malware featured there, a lot of it is "old school" malware programs - since modern malware is pretty boring compared to "old school" malware. And a lot of the earliest videos in that channel don't have the narration that the more recent videos do, and also the camera focus is pretty shaky in the earliest videos on that channel.

But that said, there isn't a lot of others doing the same thing, and the channel linked above has the most videos of malware being run on a computer that I've seen anywhere.
farmerman

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2020 08:48 am
@justaguy2,
I enjoy "Cruising the Cut" which is vlog of a British guy who ply the open seas of UK canals an, like a tru Brit, pwnds undue amount of time giving you complete directions of the wet hiways of GB. The guy i media trained (He used to be a weatherman onBBC 1) so hi humor i typical British understated and quite funny a he tries to cope with thing lik baking bread in his diesel powered oven. Its enough of a canal travelogue that I actually can recall a few of the towns that Ive been to (never on leisure tours so I saw the relaxed side of life)

You can use the Title I gave "Cruising the cut"

Also its verything you maybe wanted to know about cnal boats as a life style.

Another one is "REX FIGURES IT OUT", Rex is a carpenter of advanced cabinetmaking skills. He tests and fixs stuff like old bench planes and makes shooting boards and work tables.
(Although I hve to say, ince most orkbenches are one off creations by each carpenter, My Work/assembly bench at 12'X3.5' and setting on 8 six inch square pieces of doug fir and outfitted with doggi hols and drawers , Suit me best of all.

"Peter Draws" is entertaining but the artwork produced therein by this fellow named Peter is quite uninspired doodling that , once you see one, etc etc... He is a kind of unfocused , ntertaining dude who compares fountain pens.

I usually avoid the music panels, except for some good jazz artists.
farmerman

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2020 08:51 am
@Brandon9000,
gonna tune in on that Richey guy. All the hitory buffs(especially the US Civil War guys, get o bogged down in the details of a particular battle that the big picture i totally missed. Maybe Mr Richey gets it that not all of us are professionals in history.
hightor

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2020 09:06 am
Earspasm Music — Michael Lowenstern's bass clarinet website featuring tips on practicing, performing, and maintaining my favorite instrument

Adam Neely is a professional bass guitar player, an excellent teacher of music theory, with lots of tips for working musicians

Timeless Classic Movies — what can I say, I like film noir and there seems to be an endless supply of them here
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2020 02:33 pm
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
...subscribed to more than 50 channels.

That's one of those things, I just refuse to do. Too many channels for me to ever make a commitment to any, or even 12 dozen channels.

Quote:
Here are a few....

Much obliged. I'll peruse them and take it from there.

Quote:
Do you have YouTube channels to recommend?

I've become somewhat absorbed by Lost In The Pond. Similar to your Joel and Lisa channel, it takes a gentleman from Grimsby England and places him in first, Anderson, Indiana and later the Chicago area. Married to an American gal, he has a cat by the name of Kafka.

He's at times amusing. an affable fellow, although at times he seems mildly neurotic.

Here's an example:

www.youtube.com/channel/UCqabPJa-N6ORAlO5yMBtWXg

More info here: www.lostinthepond.com. and also here: www.globallivingmagazine.com/laurence-brown-lost-in-the-pond/

With music, I just wander around from one place to another. No particular direction or channels.

Then there is the strange It's A Southern Thing. Oddly amusing at times.

Example:

The full channel: www.youtube.com/channel/UCDyCK-HRoSqUsowdKzOVHZA
Rebelofnj

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2020 03:11 pm
Defunctland - long videos about the history of old amusement park rides and theme park attractions.
https://www.youtube.com/c/Defunctland
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2020 11:56 pm
@farmerman,
After you see him, tell me what you think.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2020 11:58 pm
@Sturgis,
I have watched a few episodes of "Lost in the Pond." I know that he recently quit his job to do it full time.
farmerman

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2020 07:25 am
@Brandon9000,
ed Richey's episode about Native Americans. It was ok as a beginning ffort . My only concern to actual lerning is he avoided discussing anything about thenvarious cultures. He began his entire effort at about "1491" (To indicate that he was only intrested in late pre Columbian contact)

Im going to look at hi variou offerings to see if he mayb had a separate piece on , say Paleo Culture through late Woodland and earlier pre contact
Brandon9000

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2020 08:09 am
@farmerman,
Well, bear in mind that his audience is high school kids in his class.
farmerman

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2020 09:02 am
@Brandon9000,
I think the really interesting thing about early Native culture is that its an adventure through time. Im sure he could make that interesting to HS kids
0 Replies

justaguy2

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2020 09:49 am
@farmerman,
You've lost me farmerman. I honestly have no idea what you are talking about, let alone whatever it is has to do with my post above.
McGentrix

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2020 11:50 am
Davey504

MXR Reacts

Bear Independent

Steven Crowder

The Gray Bearded Green Beret

Canadian Prepper

HAWP

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2020 12:02 pm
@justaguy2,
"REX FIGURES IT OUT" and "CRUISING THE CUT" are titles of YOU TIBE stations. I earch by name of the ite. You guys pot on your program lits. Same thing.
Look at McG above, all his are titles.

I dont know, have I got something wrong??
McGentrix

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2020 12:25 pm
@farmerman,
The names I gave are the names of the channel ( or person running the channel) on Youtube. The channels have videos that have different names for each video.
farmerman

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2020 03:04 pm
@McGentrix,
zackly.

You should watch a few calming woodworking "how to" hows or "How to play the zither" . Take a break from storing food.
I never realized how much farm living is like prepping, cept we have BACON.
McGentrix

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2020 07:02 pm
@farmerman,
That's why I gave a variety of channels.

https://www.amazon.com/Yoders-Canned-Fully-Cooked-Bacon/
0 Replies