Teach Russian anyone?

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 10:32 pm
I am looking for a Russian penpal. I am just starting russian and would like to email them about any questions i might have about russian. They can ask me questions about English if you would want. IT would be greatly appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 936 • Replies: 3
No top replies

SerSo

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 11:48 am
Re: Teach Russian anyone?
littlelefty7 wrote:
I am looking for a Russian penpal. I am just starting russian and would like to email them about any questions i might have about russian. They can ask me questions about English if you would want. IT would be greatly appreciated.

littlelefty7, welcome to A2K and good luck in studying Russian. For me it is a pleasure to know that people are willing to study the language I speak. You must be brave enough to have chosen Russian because Slavic languages are among the most difficult to learn as far as grammar and word formation are concerned. I do not want to frighten you though. I personally know people - one is English and two other are French - who speak Russian so well that I would never think it is not their mother tongue if I did not know it in advance. My own students started to speak fluently (though with some mistakes) after approximately a year of study. A record was three months but that girl was extremely talented and somewhat crazy.

I stopped teaching Russian 8 years ago, so I am not such a pro as I used to be and I am afraid I cannot enter into long e-mail correspondence with you simply due to my permanent lack of time. Very sorry but I do not want to promise what I am unlikely to fulfill. However you are very welcome to post all you questions here at A2K and I or other Russian A2Kers (Docent P or somebody else) will be only happy to answer them when we only have a chance. I hope it could be also interesting to those who, like you, study Russian. There are a couple of threads here where people write in other languages they are learning. You may find it interesting to look through some other threads concerning the Russian language. Here are the most recent ones:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/about53978.html
http://www.able2know.com/forums/about52997.html

And two earlier threads about Russian:
http://www.able2know.com/forums/about38457.html
http://www.able2know.com/forums/about38045.html

If you are interested not only in the language, here is another A2K thread:
WHAT'S IT LIKE LIVING IN RUSSIA TODAY?

You may also view A Guide to Russia, this site also has a forum with a language section.

P.S. You also asked:
www.masterrussian.com
littlelefty7 wrote:
has anyone had any experience with this site. Is it a good valuable site?

I have had a quick look on this site and I think it is good. But believe me, I know no one who started to speak a foreign language through Internet, computer courses or teach-yourself books only. Such things may be helpful as an addition. You can use them for grammar reference and do exercises from there. Mastering a foreign language is a matter of practice eventually and you cannot do without boring drilling especially at initial stages.
0 Replies

Docent P

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 11:16 am
>WHAT'S IT LIKE LIVING IN RUSSIA TODAY?

Damn, that's what I once started two years ago! A never-ending topic. I bet if someone manages to read it all he will become the greatest expert of Russia.

>I am looking for a Russian penpal.

There are rather more Russian seeking an English penpal than vice-versa. Have you already checked such things as penpal.ru or efl.ru? Also you can type "penpal English" in ya.ru and then sort them according to their dates.

And any grammar question can be freely put down here (like I put my French questions).
0 Replies

Virago

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 10:51 pm
Quote:
Damn, that's what I once started two years ago! A never-ending topic. I bet if someone manages to read it all he will become the greatest expert of Russia.

Docent, I have read it all. :wink: Very informative and interesting, but I'm sorry to say I'm still no expert. Smile

Littlelefty, I wish you success.

Virago
0 Replies