Deep Impact

PDiddie

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 06:47 am
You'll be able to see a spacecraft the size of a washing machine collide with a comet the size of a city just before 1 a.m. (Houston time) tomorrow morning.

NASA's Deep Impact mission is scheduled to crash an 820-pound (371-kilogram) Impactor probe into Comet Tempel 1 and record the event via a Flyby mothership, orbital observatories like the Hubble and Spitzer space telescope, and a myriad of ground-based telescopes from around the world. The impact is expected to take place at 1:52 a.m. EDT (0552 GMT) on July 4.

You can watch a webcast here (starting about one hour before impact). There's a hundred excellent links, including still images from observatory telescopes at Kitt Peak, Keck, and Dyer at this page.

edit: fixed the time
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 941 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 06:52 am
Bookmarking! This is one of the weirdest ideas I've heard of and reminds me of some awful Sci-Fi story I read a long time ago. (I think the comet turned out to be an alien spacecraft and all hell broke loose after the impact.)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 06:53 am
In the words of the great philosophers . . .

COOL BEANS ! ! !
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 07:03 am
WOW
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 07:06 am
Hmmm, PD. Wonder if I'll be able to see it from here without benefit of cam.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 07:22 am
But why? Just curious ....
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 07:27 am
why are we launching appliances into space?
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 07:28 am
Actually one ought to be able to see it with binoculars on the west coast of the United States, but not from where you are, Let.

Your best bet there in FL is the webcast, or if bandwidth doesn't permit, the series of minute-by-minute stills from one of the observatories or the Hubble or the Spitzer (space telescope), at the comprehensive link above.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 07:30 am
I would have launched a Yugo, at least , if there were aliens theyd have to know that theyd have nothing to fear from our technology.

Pork Ribs all day, F**k the kitchen appliances
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 08:25 am
msolga wrote:
But why? Just curious ....

Comets develope a crust (a rind if you will) made of dust and debris that obscures its true composition. Comets are thought to be composed of the material out of which the solar system was made. By breaking one up scientists can view the interior and get an accurate observation of what they are made of.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 08:43 am
Thanks, Acquiunk!
0 Replies