Can someone translate this to latin for me?

iforgt9

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 05:48 pm
Protect me, my passengers, and all who I pass bywith a steady hand and a watchful eye.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 806 • Replies: 7
No top replies

George

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 02:15 pm
Me et vectores meos et omnes quos transeo manu stabile oculoque vigilante protege.
0 Replies

petros

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 08:57 pm
What about this?
"Of all the lillies of all the earth's rich fields, you are the finest."
[I know "finest" idiomatically would answer to something other than literal, as "fine" often connotes something other than an exact equivalent to such uses of the word as above.]
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 12:34 pm
Maior omnibus liliis in omnibus agris copiosis terrae es.
0 Replies

petros

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 09:04 pm
George wrote:

Thank you. I was just wondering, though, if someone was to translate this back into English, how would it most likely be rendered in the translation?
Not to bother you, George, but if the original English line were modified to :
"Your graces are greater than all the graces of all the lillies of all the earth's rich fields."

Pax et Gratia
0 Replies

iforgt9

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 11:15 am
George wrote:
Me et vectores meos et omnes quos transeo manu stabile oculoque vigilante protege.

How would this translate back into english?
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 02:11 pm
petros wrote:
George wrote:

Thank you. I was just wondering, though, if someone was to translate this back into English, how would it most likely be rendered in the translation?

The literal translation back to English would probably be:
You are greater than all the lilies in all the rich fields of the earth.
I say "probably" because most translation involves interpretation.

petros wrote:
Not to bother you, George, but if the original English line were modified to :
"Your graces are greater than all the graces of all the lillies of all the earth's rich fields."

Pax et Gratia

Gratiae tuae maior omnibus gratiis liliorum omnium in omnibus agris copiosis terrae sunt
0 Replies

petros

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 09:19 pm
In trying to work out variants of expression of a single thought in Latin, I am wondering what grammatical inaccuracies I may have produced with this following sentence:
Maxima in elegantia ex [omnibus] lilia/liliis in omnibus agris copiosis terrae es.
Because I am not sure which case lilium must here be in, as a class out of which one is presented as the best, I not only may have paired two wrong case forms for that word, but I also was notsure, then, to what form omne here must accordingly conform.
I find that by changing one original sentence at a point where a diferrent syntactical form can be inserted, I get a better idea of certain grammatical possibilities.
Thanks for your time and consideration.
Petros
[I am trying to settle on a single final line on a card, and thought it would be a good idea to pay a compliment that the recipient should discover by some effort.]
0 Replies