From Gospel to Government: The Angry Left finds religion.

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 07:24 am
Few things seem to raise the hackles of the modern Left more than issues of religion, especially Christianity. A "wall of separation" between church and state may be the most invoked phrase from all the writings of the founding fathers. And nevertheless, the religious right goes merrily along, mostly smiling, enjoying their majority status and success.

But hallelujah!!! The calvary is on the way bearing the insignia of the religious LEFT! If it catches on in the Democrat party, it is certain to change the national rhetoric in interesting ways. It will be fun to see how the anti-religious, who mostly gravitate to the Democrats, will handle it.

From Gospel to Government
The Angry Left finds religion, and the result isn't pretty.

BY JOSEPH LOCONTE
Friday, July 1, 2005 12:01 a.m. EDT

They're the furious faithful--the growing number of religious liberals incensed by the political influence of Christian conservatives. Last week another organization joined their ranks with promises to "reclaim Christianity" and challenge the association of vital religion with conservative politics.

As far as Patrick Mrotek, founder of the Christian Alliance for Progress, is concerned, the gloves are off: "We can no longer stand by," he announced at a Washington press conference, "and watch people speak hatred, division, war and greed in the name of our faith."

With a membership of perhaps 6,000, the Christian Alliance for Progress qualifies as the organizational equivalent of a megachurch--but not much more. Nevertheless, its policy goals are ambitious, ranging from debt forgiveness to universal health care. It proffers an agenda "founded firmly on the teachings of the Gospel." Some students of the Gospel may be surprised at how neatly such an agenda fits the Democratic Party platform: The alliance supports stem-cell research, gay marriage and abortion; it opposes the Bush tax cuts, plans to privatize Social Security and the war in Iraq.

Every few years, it seems, another progressive group arises to contend with the political clout of Christian conservatives. The list includes the Interfaith Alliance, Call to Renewal, Soulforce, Let Justice Roll (run by the National Council of Churches), the Clergy Leadership Network, Faith Voices for the Common Good and the Network of Spiritual Progressives.
Most religious progressives, whatever their doctrinal differences, believe that the Democratic Party must attach spiritual values to its political agenda. Democratic leaders seem ready to heed the call.

Last summer the Center for American Progress, headed by John Podesta, President Clinton's former chief of staff, gathered 400 clergy and scholars at a "faith and policy" conference in Washington. Then came George Bush's re-election, made possible by church-going voters, and suddenly the "faith factor" gained new cachet among Democrats. Earlier this year, for example, Hillary Clinton told supporters in Albany that "religious and moral values" could help discourage teenage sex. In March, House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi formed a working group to design a "faith agenda" for her party.

"If the last election proved anything," notes a recent issue of The Economist, "it was that middle America found an overtly religious party much less weird than an overtly secular one." Religious progressives would agree. Yet despite their feeling comfortable with God talk, they share certain traits that may limit their appeal to other people of faith.

First, they're composed mostly of mainline clergy and church elites who are often culturally out of step with the rank and file. They're leaders with no obvious grass-roots constituency. Second, they treat traditional religion with either suspicion or outright contempt. Believers who raise concerns about complex social matters--such as embryonic cloning or the role of condoms in fighting AIDS--are dismissed as crazed theocrats. Third, religious progressives are often allied with left-wing partisans such as financier George Soros, MoveOn.org and Pax Christi, all of which loathe the Christian Right as much as radical Islam.

A final weakness of Christian progressives is one shared by some Christian conservatives: the impulse to leap directly from the Bible to contemporary politics. Few are as blatant as Jim Wallis, founder of Sojourners magazine and a darling of Democratic leaders. In his best-selling book "God's Politics," Mr. Wallis discerns from a short passage in Isaiah a blueprint for government welfare spending. "The starting point to check how our society measures up to Isaiah's platform," Mr. Wallis writes, "is by examining our federal budget." Or, as the Christian Alliance for Progress argues, rather confusedly: "In his sermons and in his parables, Jesus teaches that poverty can certainly be an effective weapon of mass destruction."

Their Web sites are awash with this kind of talk. In all of it, there is little room for political philosophy, or civil society, or even an appreciation of the different roles of church and state. Whatever the argument--whether it's a big government approach to poverty or a pacifist stance on terrorism--Bible verses are at the ready.

Call it fundamentalism from the left. If religious progressives help the Democratic Party to "find religion," we're going to see a lot more of it. Heaven help us.

Mr. Loconte, a research fellow at the Heritage Foundation, edited "The End of Illusions: Religious Leaders Confront Hitler's Gathering Storm."
http://www.opinionjournal.com/taste/?id=110006897
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 850 • Replies: 16
No top replies

JustWonders

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 07:33 am
LOL! "Heaven help us" indeed! Exactly what I thought when I saw a similar article on the Dems getting 'religion' a week or so ago.

I guess they've given up their old mantra of "It's the ECONOMY, stupid" and replaced it with "It's about VALUES, stupd!"

<Good luck with that, hypocrites>
SmileSmileSmile
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 07:42 am
Well, while I share your sentiments, JW, I've thought for a long time that the national debate should be about values and find ways to share those instead of ripping each other apart. Maybe this new trend will accomplish that. I'm not holding my breath either though.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 07:48 am
personally I find the title insulting in the fact that the left have to "find religion" merely because we believe it keeping it private.

Quote:
<Good luck with that, hypocrites>

So you are now able to judge who truly believes and who does not?

However on the whole I agree with you, these new groups that are just trying to be other side of the coin in religion politics are no better that the christiain rights.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 07:55 am
Quote:
...they treat traditional religion with either suspicion or outright contempt.

I think that just about says it all. Bill and Hil can show up on the front row of Billy Graham's latest revival in NYC, but who do they think they're kidding?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 08:01 am
You cannot see in their souls and judge if their faith is sincere or not. Only deity can do that. Merely because they have different views or have committed sins does not say anything except we are all sinners and have diverse views.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 08:17 am
Religion, the disease that will destroy America.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 08:21 am
Revel writes
Quote:
You cannot see in their souls and judge if their faith is sincere or not. Only deity can do that.

Neither can you.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 08:24 am
Never claimed I could.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 06:06 am
But hey, Au to the rescue, supporting the anti- religious group:
Quote:
Religion, the disease that will destroy America.

From the article
Quote:
Third, religious progressives are often allied with left-wing partisans such as financier George Soros, MoveOn.org and Pax Christi, all of which loathe the Christian Right as much as radical Islam.

If we can encourage the Democrats to turn on their own religious as well as the religious on the right, we could see Republican victories for the next century, not just the next decade. Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 06:12 am
What a pathetic, sick partisanship. It belongs with the Christians, purveyors of hatred for two millenia.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 07:34 am
How can you see Christian hatred with that huge beam in your eye?
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 07:37 am
Laughing
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 07:43 am
Lash wrote:

It's easily done, it's called self-defense from WoMD, thy sword and thy cross are not intened to comfort me, they are intended to crucify me. I object.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 07:44 am
Lash wrote:

I don't hate christians, Missy, i just despise them . . .
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 07:58 am
From my point of view, Set is an optimist looking at christians thru rose coloured glasses (he is too kind)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 08:56 am
There have always been real Christians on the left side of politics. The reason the right doesn't recognize this is because they only recognize the fundamentalist fireant mentality as genuine.
That said, I agree fully with set and dys as regards Christians, adding, religion in general.
0 Replies