Prostitution -- why is such a glorious profession illegal?

BubbaGumbo

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 01:16 am
Any new insight? I stand by initial assertion and believe that prostitution should be legal for the safety and health of prostitutes and to prevent the spread of disease.
0 Replies

BubbaGumbo

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 12:14 am
one more go at it.....
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 04:11 pm
I just heard on the news that a sheriff has been busted in an child-internet sting.

I have the feeling that the police put a lot of money and manpower into busting prostitutes because it is fun for them and result in easy collars.

Victimless crimes should be decriminalized.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 11:13 am
for what it's worth, it appears that the UN does not consider "voluntary" adult prostititution a form of "trafficking" (from a United Nations Convention against Transnational Organized Crime protocol)

Quote:
Article 2
Statement of purpose

The purposes of this Protocol are:

(a) To prevent and combat trafficking in persons, paying particular attention
to women and children;

(b) To protect and assist the victims of such trafficking, with full respect for
their human rights; and

(c) To promote cooperation among States Parties in order to meet those
objectives.

Article 3
Use of terms

For the purposes of this Protocol:

(a) "Trafficking in persons" shall mean the recruitment, transportation,
transfer, harbouring or receipt of persons, by means of the threat or use of force or
other forms of coercion, of abduction, of fraud, of deception, of the abuse of power
or of a position of vulnerability or of the giving or receiving of payments or benefits
to achieve the consent of a person having control over another person, for the
purpose of exploitation. Exploitation shall include, at a minimum, the exploitation
of the prostitution of others
or other forms of sexual exploitation, forced labour or
services, slavery or practices similar to slavery, servitude or the removal of organs;

(b) The consent of a victim of trafficking in persons to the intended
exploitation set forth in subparagraph (a) of this article shall be irrelevant where any
of the means set forth in subparagraph (a) have been used;

(c) The recruitment, transportation, transfer, harbouring or receipt of a child
for the purpose of exploitation shall be considered "trafficking in persons" even if
this does not involve any of the means set forth in subparagraph (a) of this article;

http://www.unodc.org/pdf/crime/a_res_55/res5525e.pdf

the USA is a signatory of the protocol:

http://www.unodc.org/unodc/crime_cicp_signatures_trafficking.html

i don't necessarily agree with the voluntary/involuntary distinction. the parts i underlined characterize the involuntary forms of trafficking.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 01:17 pm
One can find abuses in every area of commerce or the professions. However, these areas should be reformed, not eliminated.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 01:24 pm
yitwail wrote:
for what it's worth, it appears that the UN does not consider "voluntary" adult prostititution a form of "trafficking"

I think that I've said such before already: here in Germany - like in a couple of other countries - prostituion is a legal profession: registered prostitutes contribute to health insurance, federal pension fonds, pay taxes ... either self-employed or as employees.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 01:38 pm
Walter, as you may know, it's legal in many counties in Nevada. it's also legal indoors in Rhode Island, which i didn't know until i started googling for this thread.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 02:09 pm
How should you know when you haven't been to RI? :wink:
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 02:38 pm
good point, WH; for some reason it's not advertised.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 03:30 pm
Rhode Island didn't positively decide to have legalized prostitution, but neglected to make indoor prostitution illegal. Authorities have tried to get around this omission by finding excuses to bust businesses that provide it, such as spas, massage parlors, etc.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 4 May, 2020 09:37 am
Tag
0 Replies

theworldawaits181

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2021 07:50 am
because it can be a very dangerous thing messing with someone's wife and you never know how desperate ppl are and what they do and why they do it but its a very scary world that we all live in and maybe if it isn't they shouldn't have made all those violent groosem movies that depict people dying and being murdered all the time cause there are some ppl like myself who have come close to death from people many of times. anyways ya that is why it is illegal is because not all just made-up theatrics, it is the reality that happens out there. I know because I grew up watching and hearing about a lot of violence everywhere and maybe it was just me maybe something in my head or how i was raised or w.e it was but now i am traumatized beyond belief. Don't even like to leave my house very often it is that bad. I have nowhere to go and no one to go with. Anyways, anything I can do to help this world to be a better stronger more safe place, don't hesitate to ask me for my opinion, dm me, call me anything. I will be there for you and stand behind you in your time of need. Let's play ball! πŸ˜ŽπŸ¦ŠπŸ¦ΎπŸ‘€πŸ“’πŸ”ŠπŸŽ¬πŸ“½πŸ“‘πŸ“†πŸ“βšΎ
0 Replies