Prostitution -- why is such a glorious profession illegal?

Setanta

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 09:03 pm
All the flannel-mouthed excuses in the world won't justify what has happened here. The two terms are not equivalent, and Yitwail has a good point about who gets lynched and who does the lynching.

I've rarely been so digusted in an online setting.

I have nothing further to say to either the culprit nor his hypocriticaly defender.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 09:06 pm
bubba wrote :
"Very cool! As of now, I have never stepped foot outside the US. When I finally do venture over to Europe I'll have to check it out."

be careful, you may never want to return to the u.s.a. with all the fun you are going to have on the "reeperbahn" (just bring along a little money and the girls will treat you like royalty.
history has it that a king of sweden died in the arms of one of the girls and had to be spirited away in a taxi to pretend that he had died in a hotelroom. they gave him a "royal" sendoff !). hbg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 09:20 pm
Baldimo wrote:
To be honest I'm not white and I'm proud of that fact. Being in married to a black woman gives me a whole different perspective on these types of things then the rest of you.

You're assuming that you know something about the rest of us.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 09:25 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Baldimo wrote:
To be honest I'm not white and I'm proud of that fact. Being in married to a black woman gives me a whole different perspective on these types of things then the rest of you.

You're assuming you know something about me.
0 Replies

BubbaGumbo

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 09:55 pm
"Being in married to a black woman gives me a whole different perspective on these types of things then the rest of you."

Laughing ...let me catch my breath... Laughing ... that was truly classic. Now I can't decide if I'm more insulted by your racial slur or the insinuation that your wildly apocryphal comments would fool me. Give it up.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 10:12 pm
Just to be clear here.

The "R" word is republican, correct ?
I find the word distasteful, but not necissarily hateful. If I should use a more "PC" term, please advise.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 10:14 pm
BubbaGumbo wrote:
"Being in married to a black woman gives me a whole different perspective on these types of things then the rest of you."

Laughing ...let me catch my breath... Laughing ... that was truly classic. Now I can't decide if I'm more insulted by your racial slur or the insinuation that your wildly apocryphal comments would fool me. Give it up.

Are you calling me a liar?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 03:48 pm
<where did B's post go that was above mine?>

weird times at Ridgemount High for sure
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 04:11 pm
Baldimo wrote:
I used it as an example and it was used in such a way that I knew some of you would be offened who found the R-word ok to use. If you don't get it then get out of your lily-white world and learn something.

i hope nobody got offened, brother baldimo. plenty were offended, probably, who never use the R-word or the N-word. and i can't take you up on your suggestion to get out of a lily-white world since i was never in that world.
0 Replies

BubbaGumbo

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2005 05:32 pm
to the top for some new insight
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2005 05:38 pm
Good, i'm glad that previous little spate of idiocy hasn't ruined this thread.

Bubba, do you have any ideas of how one might get a reasonable political solution to this hypocrical situation?
0 Replies

austinsdaddy0105

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 11:32 am
A lot of the points that have been brought up here were, oddly enough, brought up in the Police/Corrections Academy I attended. We had a Cpl. from the jail say that she would be the first in line to run a "hoe" house. She said that if it was well regulated, which means ID cards for the hoes that show that they are on file with the state, monthly mandatory STD/HIV/AIDS testing/must use some form of protection, and other things. They could also tax it, which would mean more state revenue. I personally would not use a brothel, but I would certainly not mind if a grown adult chose to go there for some fun.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 12:43 pm
Re: Prostitution -- why is such a glorious profession illega
While I agree with the fact that prostitution should be legal, I have a few issues with why it should be.

BubbaGumbo wrote:

Secondly -- Dating Games: Isn't dating just implicit prostitution? If you are single and want to get some 'tang, you'll have to go to a bar and by a girl about 30 dollars worth of drinks before she falls under your spell and you can take her home. Also, if you're in a relationship sometimes you have to take your gf/wife out for a nice dinner or buy her a necklace if you want guaranteed loving.

That has got to be the worst reason I've ever heard for legalizing prostitution. First of all, insinuating that choosing to have consentual sex with a date or spouse is prostitution is just silly. You don't have to spend $30 to get some "tang". In fact, most girls I knew in college who went home with guys didn't have one drink bought for them. Not to mention, if your girlfriend or wife needs things to be enticed into bed, you have bigger problems than getting some "tang".
Prostitutes don't necessarily enjoy sex with their Johns. It's like pressing a bumper to them, or frying up a burger. It's a job. It has little to do with anything more than money.

BubbaGumbo wrote:

Third -- Societal Benefits:
-The gov't could force all prostitution to be done in brothels. This would get prostitutes off the streets, keeping them safe and our cities dignified.

How is this a social benefit? You can't be murdered or raped in a brothel? Drugs wouldn't be in a brothel? Nothing dignified about a cat house in the middle of a neighborhood.

BubbaGumbo wrote:

-Prostitutes could be issued licenses. So revenue would be generated and tax dollars would be saved as police offers could be doing more productive things than setting up stings. Also, to obtain a license prostitues would have to be periodically tested for disease and those with severe STDs would be banned from working or at least have to warn customers.

You act like there wouldn't be any "iillegal" prostitution even if it were legalized. Women would still do it without a license. And men would still buy sex from them. Primarily because the unlicensed ones would be cheaper.

BubbaGumbo wrote:

-Sexual crimes would probably decrease. Sexually frustrated men could easily drive to a brothel and act out their aggressive fantasies instead of attacking some innocent civilian.

Rape isn't about sex. So the sexual crimes wouldn't go down. Read up on your facts before making an assumption about you don't know about.

BubbaGumbo wrote:

-Men in society would be generally happier as EVERYONE would be getting action. Possible outcome... world peace? I don't know throwing that out there.

This was funny. Laughing

BubbaGumbo wrote:

-Good employment for illegal immigrants and the poor. Why work 10 hours a day in a field making 30 cents an hour, when you could blow businessmen for 60/hr every day?

I hope this was a joke too.

My reasons for saying prostitution should be legalized?

1- We have better things to do with our jails, police, money and time than pick up and detain hookers.

2- It's going to happen anyway, why not tax it?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 12:49 pm
" -Sexual crimes would probably decrease. Sexually frustrated men could easily drive to a brothel and act out their aggressive fantasies instead of attacking some innocent civilian. "

if sex crimes were truly about SEX this may be true.
Sex crimes are not about sex. Well... maybe a very VERY small percentage..
in general( 99% is my guess), rape is about power. Not sex.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 01:15 pm
don't know if prostitutes have a much better life in netherlands than where prostitution isn't legalized. drugs, trafficking, kidnapping, enslaving women....all that goes on all the time. am not sure if legalization wouldn't only validate some of such situations. i am all for legalization, but there are many issues that it would not solve.

history and culture caused that vast majority of prostitutes in the world are women. sure one can say men are just that way, it's a demand and supply thing, plus women can always opt not to do it. but it's not that simple and prostitution is a complicated cultural, social issue. it's not just paying for sex. it got a little more complicated than that and all that needs to be taken into account as well.

i want to see more balace between female and male prostitutes, brothels, services... but legalization would most likely help that. as well as situation of some of the women on the streets. who knows. it won't happen anytime soon anyway.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 01:24 pm
I've had dealings with about ten rapists in my time, and you're absolutely right.

It's a power thing. Some of them didn't even "complete the mission" if you know what I mean. They just wanted to scare some poor woman out of her skin, usually because they have some baggage concerning a female, lurking somewhere in their past.

A rapist will probably go to a prostitute, just like any other male that needs that sort of "kick". Then again, they may not. But it will not stop them from raping, as their offending is nothing to do with the sexual tension building up, due to lack of it at home..etc.

Personally, it doesn't even enter my head to go and pay an absolute stranger to let me maul her, while she is probably bored to tears and thinking of what she is going to cook when she gets home.
Not my idea of a fun time at all.

I would be hopeless anyway, even if I DID go to one. I would probably want to sit down with her and have a nice chat and a laugh, as I would want to know someone quite well before I introduced them to Percy.

I don't know how men do it, really.....so demeaning. I can understand someone who, for physical reasons, wouldn't stand much chance with women and wants a bit of "company", going to one, but usually it is your average male.

Why?
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 09:47 pm
Quote:
Rape isn't about sex. So the sexual crimes wouldn't go down. Read up on your facts before making an assumption about you don't know about.

I've read the literature. I've investigated a few rapes too. I can think of some cases where it was about sex and power and some where it was about power and sex but none where it was only about power.

As for why men visit prostitutes. No secret. They get to indulge in whatever their woman refuses to do or what they are too scared to suggest to her. Oh and I suppose some blokes just can't get it anywhere else, which is a bit more of a prosaic reason.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 06:42 am
Goodfielder, where is this literature you've read? Because nothing in my life experience has indicated that there is any valid literature or actual events that would support your statement.

If rape was about getting off, then these guys have so many more options, and way more willing partners. It's about wielding your power over someone in the most intimate way you can.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 07:58 pm
Quote:
First of all, insinuating that choosing to have consentual sex with a date or spouse is prostitution is just silly. You don't have to spend $30 to get some "tang". In fact, most girls I knew in college who went home with guys didn't have one drink bought for them. Not to mention, if your girlfriend or wife needs things to be enticed into bed, you have bigger problems than getting some "tang".

I don't know about you but I always make sure the guy pays, one way or another. I guess it's just a badge of honor.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 08:01 pm
Baldimo wrote:
ehBeth wrote:
Baldimo wrote:

You're assuming you know something about me.

Her reply indicates nothing of the kind. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies