Should COVID19 policies encourage exercise as health/immunity maintenance?

farmerman

Sun 29 Mar, 2020 10:03 am
@chai2,
we always seek out the roads and paths less traveled by. I love NE MAine for that very reason.
hen I wa taching we always ha a field trip into the Kaibab of Grand Canyon. It was a geological necessity to observe and figure it out for oneself.
As far as Canyons though, the Goosenecks Canyons of Utah are lonely, mostly unvisited, almost unknown and spectacular.

farmerman

Sun 29 Mar, 2020 03:07 pm
@farmerman,
Was litening to an epidemiologist talk about how we who live in the N are mostly depleted of Vitamin D. So he posted some resaerch done and reported in Brit Journal Of Epidemeiology.
They did a randomized, double blind test, with1000mc Vit D (given to test groups at 1 month, 1week, and daily VERSUS a placebo. It was a study survey involving over 20000 randomly sellected people .

The results found that resistance to acute respiratory infection was increased by 12% for those (whose vit D levels were adequate) after receiving the Vit D on a monthly basis, 20% for those receiving it weekly or daily AND a whopping 71% for those receiving it daily and who are living in the N latitudes ( areas where their sunlight intake is seasonally low like above 35 degrees N Lat) . Mot of us in those areas, without a supplement or soaking in sunlamps are Vit D deficient.

SOOO. Whats the best available supplement?? JSUT for Vit D.
They announced it to the UK people, so, unlike Vit A, vit D has no real toxicity alerts.

Fatty fish (youd need like 4 servings a week of cold water fish , mackerel, salmon or haddock or tuna, Citrus, 2 naranj a day, fortified cereals (a bowl /day) and 2egg yolks (No weekly amt , I forgot to write that one down )

Real Music

Sun 29 Mar, 2020 09:48 pm
@livinglava,
Quote:
We need exercise and fresh air, exposure to sunlight

I personally believe that all three of these items are beneficial to our overall mental health and physical health.
Linkat

Mon 30 Mar, 2020 08:37 am
@Real Music,
I agree it helps mental health - that is not to say that exercising indoors is bad.

You do not have to have all three at the same time.

Also during this time of year fresh air can be bad for certain people. The pollen is starting to get bad so many people are actually better indoors depending on their seasonal allergies.

However, you can get alot of sunlight too if you have enough windows and get good light in your house. I have a couple of rooms that have many windows that I love to be in when it is sunny. (the dogs love it too).
Real Music

Mon 30 Mar, 2020 09:34 am
@Linkat,
Quote:
I agree it helps mental health - that is not to say that exercising indoors is bad.

I AGREE.

Quote:
You do not have to have all three at the same time.

I AGREE.

Quote:
Also during this time of year fresh air can be bad for certain people. The pollen is starting to get bad so many people are actually better indoors depending on their seasonal allergies.

I AGREE.

Quote:
However, you can get alot of sunlight too if you have enough windows and get good light in your house. I have a couple of rooms that have many windows that I love to be in when it is sunny. (the dogs love it too).

I don't think that sunlight through a window is better than outside sunlight, but it is definitely a good alternative.
Those rooms that have many windows for sunlight, might be just as good as being outside.
Real Music

Mon 30 Mar, 2020 10:16 am
@chai2,
Quote:
I don't particularly like being outside when the temperature is over 70, and I know I'm not alone.

1. For my personal preference, any daytime temperature that is in the 60s or the 70s is a beautiful day and perfect day to be outside.

2. Historically my favorite weather and temperature is probably during the months of March and April.

3. March and April are probably my two favorite months to be outside in the sunlight
livinglava

Mon 30 Mar, 2020 11:35 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

I've been thinking that pollen-avoidance and thus sensitization retards the immune system.

If you look at the similarities between pollen and COVID19 and other viruses, they are all little prickly balls designed to latch onto things, which get into mucus and stimulate mucus membranes to respond appropriately.

It seems likely to me that part of the reason people get sick more in the winter is because their mucus membranes are out of the habit of dealing with pollen.

Maybe pollen also gives viruses something to stick to besides the mucus membranes. It's like when tape gets dusty and doesn't stick as well, or when velcro gets covered with lint.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Mon 30 Mar, 2020 11:50 am
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:

I don't think that sunlight through a window is better than outside sunlight, but it is definitely a good alternative.

not even close. you lose between 90 and 95% of the value of the sunlight through a window - and that's through old windows. modern double-pane well-glazed lose even more. just came up on the radio during a sort of dual gardening/medicine call-in show.

open a window - lean outside
open a door - lean outside. sit outside. walk outside if it's possible.

direct sunlight - for physical as well as mental health
ehBeth

Mon 30 Mar, 2020 11:52 am
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:
3. March and April are probably my two favorite months to be outside in the sunlight

as my FB memories tell me March - May are hideous for my allergies. I've got a range of bandannas to somewhat protect me from pollen right now but it's pretty horrid. not going to go the mask route as they are needed desperately for med and med support. ready to up the meds to keep my ears and scalp from getting horribly horribly itchy.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Mon 30 Mar, 2020 11:54 am
@farmerman,
That's helpful. Hard to get good fish around here so will have to do some investigating.
farmerman

Mon 30 Mar, 2020 11:57 am
@ehBeth,
Ive found the articles from 2015. Whoda thought that something like that would be an important function of the bodies own defense mchanisms.
0 Replies

Linkat

Mon 30 Mar, 2020 01:36 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Real Music wrote:

not even close. you lose between 90 and 95% of the value of the sunlight through a window - and that's through old windows. modern double-pane well-glazed lose even more. just came up on the radio during a sort of dual gardening/medicine call-in show.

open a window - lean outside
open a door - lean outside. sit outside. walk outside if it's possible.

direct sunlight - for physical as well as mental health

I was referring more to mental health -- think when it is sunny out even if it is below zero ... so you wouldn't be hanging out outside... you feel more cheerful.
chai2

Mon 30 Mar, 2020 02:49 pm
@Linkat,
I'm not debating anything that has been said about sunlight and it's benefits.....as they apply to most people.

However, and maybe I'm writing this for the benefit of, and comfort to some random person who comes here and thinks "that's not me"

The truth is, for some people, maybe not many, but some, sunlight, summer days, etc. actually make some people anxious. It does me.
Part of the reason is the actual abundance of sunshine, but for me at least, there was the years I let the actual social pressure of being different from those that couldn't wait to get out on that first nice day of spring, etc. make me feel lonely because of feeling different, and pretending I wasn't.

Oh how I dreaded it in elementary school when it would occur to me in May that June meant 3 months of expected outdoor activites. Plus the heat.

Summer meant friends wanting to go to the beach and sunbathe. I would have thought I died and went to heaven if someone suggested an afternoon matinee.

My mood in general is always high in the Fall and Winter, feelings of uneasyness in the Spring, and downright resentment of the outdoors in general in hateful hateful Summer. However, as an adult, I realize I call the shots for myself and can choice to stay in a nice cool climate indoors from June to Sept, and don't have to feel I'm "supposed" to like Summer, when I don't

I get a lot of people are different from that. Whatever.
When people start in with the generalities of how this, that and the other make people feel good, my inner response is a vague "how nice for you"

btw, indoors does not mean inactive. The choices aren't just the gym or sitting on your couch.

Oh....and I know someone will come back to diagnose me with SAD.

That's nice too.
Linkat

Mon 30 Mar, 2020 02:59 pm
@chai2,
No - but curious - it seems like it is summer and outdoor activity - not sunshine ? I could be wrong - because I was mentioning in the winter - when the sun is strong and I just want to warm up in the rays of the sun as it comes through the window.
chai2

Mon 30 Mar, 2020 03:07 pm
@Linkat,
Sunshine.

The best way I can express it is that sunny days expect too much from a person.

Sunshine is like "HEY! I'M HERE!!! BE HAPPY!"
Nights and cloudy overcast days are "It's chill. Check it out, no pressue"

I love a cloudy, overcast winter day. I love a cloudy windy fall day.
I would much prefer to be outside on days like that, then a sunny fall or winter day.

There are fewer things better than doing a backstroke in the pool in January, no sun out, so you can watch the naked trees and the black birds sitting in them.

Sunshine is too "obvious" Nights and clouds require consideration.

livinglava

Mon 30 Mar, 2020 03:23 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
However, as an adult, I realize I call the shots for myself and can choice to stay in a nice cool climate indoors from June to Sept, and don't have to feel I'm "supposed" to like Summer, when I don't

I get a lot of people are different from that. Whatever.

Many MANY people prefer artificial environments to natural ones. It feels more under-control and thus safer to them, I think.

The worship of artificial environments and culture results in huge industrial waste that is terrible for the environment and climate sustainability, so you are definitely not alone by any stretch of the imagination.
0 Replies

farmerman

Mon 30 Mar, 2020 03:38 pm
@chai2,
sounds like Ll is against air conditioning too. I wonder how he feels about Saran Wrap?
Linkat

Mon 30 Mar, 2020 03:50 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

There are fewer things better than doing a backstroke in the pool in January, no sun out, so you can watch the naked trees and the black birds sitting in them.

Well you certainly do not live in New England!
livinglava

Mon 30 Mar, 2020 04:11 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

sounds like Ll is against air conditioning too. I wonder how he feels about Saran Wrap?

Why do you mention plastic wrap?
chai2

Mon 30 Mar, 2020 04:54 pm
@Linkat,
The outdoor pool I go to is heated from underground springs in the winter. They don’t let too much in but it’s warm enough. Meaning it’s really cold but builds character. I’ve swum in there when it’s snowing! The only month that’s bad enough not to go is Feb. of course this year is different.

The really bad part is getting out. Yikes!
0 Replies