My questions on Nutrition

Sparkle

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 07:40 am
We are recommended to eat five pieces of fruit and vegetable a day. Does it matter if it largely consists of one type? For example, someone can have a banana smoothie in the morning with two bananas and eat one for bedtime.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 776 • Replies: 10
No top replies

material girl

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 08:02 am
Hmm, Im sure some paper at sometime will print 'Top Scientists say'Too much of the same fruit can be bad for you' shocker!!'

I think surely the fact that you are eating fruit cant be a bad thing.I made myself eat an apple this morning as I felt for the last 2 days Id only eaten processed food.

I think bananas have high levels of potassium which does something to the body.You may want to find out what that is.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 08:07 am
That is too much of one fruit. Besides, a banana smoothie is not only bananas, but ice cream, which has a lot of sugar. Bananas are very high in carbs and potassium. I think that it is a much wiser idea to "mix it up" with various fruits and vegetables.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 08:13 am
Sparkle--

Welcome to A2K.

I agree with Phoenix. Vary your diet. If a testing lab fed its animals only bananas all sorts of animal rights organizations would be screaming about cruelity.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 08:13 am
Mix up a smoothie, hmm, how about banana and sprout?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 09:07 am
Bananas would not be my first choic if I were going to eat five servings of a single fruit. They are a good source of potassium but they are pretty high in sugar. On the other hand, my dr once put me on a banana diet when I was suffering from hypoglycemia. He had me eat a banana with every meal to help stabilize my blood sugar. I guess that's another reason I wouldn't choose bananas, I got mighty sick of them after a few months.

Bananas don't have as much fiber as most fruits and vegetables and the reason for 5 servings is to get a good mix of different nutrients from the varied servings.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 09:13 am
Lets start a list of fruits-
Apple
Banana
Orange/satsuma
Nectarine
Peach
Saltana/raisons
grape

my fruit knowledge is limited.....
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 09:21 am
There are so many more to choose from:

Stawberries
Raspberries
Blueberries
Boysenberries
Mango
Kiwi
Plums
Melon
Pineapple
Papaya
Tangerine
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 10:40 am
Ay!You're right Cal.

There's drupe,lichi,grenadilla,pomelo,cherries (very nice),dates,figs,jackfruit,pawpaw,monkey nuts and last but not least,voluptuous ladies.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 11:27 am
Oh yes, how could I forget cherries.
You might look over your food pyramide again spendius,
not everything you suggested, is considered a fruit.
0 Replies

Sparkle

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 08:27 pm
Next:
nuts contain important minerals, in what quantities should we be consuming them?
0 Replies