Mitt Romney proposes giving $1,000 to every American adult as coronavirus response measure.

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2020 08:35 pm
Mitt Romney proposes giving $1,000 to every American adult as coronavirus response measure.

Published March 16, 2020

Quote:
Republican Sen. Mitt Romney of Utah on Monday outlined a list of proposals to address the coronavirus outbreak, including giving all American adults $1,000 in response to fallout from the spread of the disease.

Romney's office framed the proposals as a way to ensure economic stability for working Americans.

"Every American adult should immediately receive $1,000 to help ensure families and workers can meet their short-term obligations and increase spending in the economy," a release from Romney's office states, adding, "Congress took similar action during the 2001 and 2008 recessions. While expansions of paid leave, unemployment insurance, and SNAP benefits are crucial, the check will help fill the gaps for Americans that may not quickly navigate different government options."

In addition to that, Romney's proposals call for providing grants to affected small businesses, measures aimed at easing financial burdens for students during this time and actions to bolster telehealth services amid the outbreak.

The House and Senate have already taken action to respond to the coronavirus outbreak, but lawmakers on both sides of the aisle say that more must be done for public health and welfare and for the economy amid mounting fears over the disease.

Earlier this month, Congress passed a multi-billion dollar response package. The House followed that by passing a second response package at the end of last week negotiated with the Trump administration. The Senate is expected to take up and pass that legislation this week.

In a statement, Romney said, "the House coronavirus response package contains critical measures to help families in Utah and across the nation in the midst of the coronavirus outbreak, and the Senate should act swiftly on this legislation."

He added, "We also urgently need to build on this legislation with additional action to help families and small businesses meet their short-term financial obligations, ease the financial burden on students entering the workforce, and protect health workers on the front lines and their patients by improving telehealth services. I will be pushing these measures as Senate discussions continue about an additional relief package."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/romney-proposes-giving-dollar1000-to-every-american-adult-as-coronavirus-response-measure/ar-BB11grJE?ocid=UE13DHP

maxdancona

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2020 09:01 pm
@Real Music,
I don't need that money. I don't want that money. I have a bit of cabin fever from not being able to go out to my favorite bar. But, I am not being hurt finanicially. I would guess that at least half of American workers, particularly in the tech and financial sectors, won't miss a cent from their paychecks.

Shouldn't the money go to people who are being financially hurt by the crisis? I would rather have this money be pumped into unemployment insurance. It should absolutely be means tested.
cherrie

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2020 09:21 pm
@maxdancona,
The Australian government is doing something like this too with a payment of $750 to people on welfare payments and pensions. To be honest I don't really get the point of it. If it was paid to people who are directly affected financially by losing work I would understand it but Centrelink recipients are still going to get their payments whatever happens.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2020 09:32 pm
@maxdancona,
Major changes on the Las Vegas Strip announced Sunday.

MGM Resorts International and Wynn Resorts announced closures on The Strip Sunday.

Published March 16, 2020

maxdancona

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2020 09:56 pm
@Real Music,
I want the money to be sent. I want it to go to the people who are hurt the most by the crisis.
Real Music

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2020 10:27 pm
@maxdancona,
I understand.

Thanks for the clarification.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2020 06:57 am
@Real Music,
With some caveats, this could be a good plan. My son is in good shape, but his roommates are really worried about losing income and they do not have significant reserved to fall back on.

My changes would be to limit the payments to taxpayers who reported a 2018 income less than say $100k and to pay for it by increasing taxes on income say over $250k. Just repealing the most recent personal tax cut would probably handle the situation.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2020 07:25 am
My proposal would be to guarantee unemployment insurance for people who are unable to work because of coronavirus. Let's say 75% of last years income (including tips), with no counts against any limit ant definitely no requirement to be going on interviews. Of course I support a wealth tax to support it.

I don't know how the economics would work out, but that is along the lines of what I would do.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2020 07:32 am
@maxdancona,
Totally agree with you Max.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2020 08:29 am
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:

I literally do not have any savings. I could use this to knock down my student loans and credit cards. Throw some into a new savings account. Definitely not enough start a retirement account (but if I could finally kill my student loans than I could use those future student loan payments for that IRA or a similar financial plan).
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2020 02:57 pm
I have decided I will give away this money. I am not losing anything economically from this crisis (I can work and get paid just fine through this), in fact locking me in my house means I have less to spend it on anyway. For them to give me money is ridiculous. I would like the money to stimulate the economy (i.e. someone who needs it should spend it) I don't want it to go into savings.

So where should I give this money? Charity? Which one?
0 Replies