Happy Canada Day! July 1, 2005

ehBeth

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 04:33 pm
I'm getting out my flag-designed towel/knapsack.
Getting out my flags.

Getting ready to go the parade and party tomorrow.

Happy Canada Day!

http://canadadaysooke.ca/images2003/costumewinner.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,997 • Replies: 53
No top replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 04:40 pm
Have a great time!

I like Canadians. So well mannered.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 04:42 pm
Why how nice!

<curtsey>

~~~~~~~~~

My neighbourhood event ...

Quote:
Come for the parade, stay for Ontario's Greatest Woman and some "jagged rock", organizers of East York Canada Day celebrations say.

There will be much to do in Stan Wadlow Park between 11 a.m., when the two-hour parade from Broadview Avenue and Danforth Road arrives and 10 p.m., when fireworks start.

Rock fans can see East York bands at an afternoon showcase, including oldmandog, an indie trio which played its "jagged rock" at Toronto's North-By-Northeast this year.

"Every act that performs is from the area, so they're local born and bred," said Danny Monette, who has hosted the Canada Day venue for local talent since volunteering his own group, The Unseen Guest, three years ago.

"East York is a solid rock and roll community", he said Thursday, noting the legendary Canadian rock band Triumph performed its first show for a Canada Day crowd here.

Oldmandog is particularly happy to perform at a Canada Day festival they have been attending since childhood, Monette said.

The rock groups must share the stage with many cultural performances at the Cosburn Avenue park, where celebrants can also hear the East York Concert Band, the Canadian Youth Choir and a reggae "island style" musical treat.

Depending on their inclinations, festivalgoers can meet Second World War veterans from 1 to 3 p.m. in the park clubhouse, try out a portable skateboard park, see lifesaving demonstrations at the Kiwanis Pool or listen to a talk on "Emotional Fitness for Men" in the arena.

Naturally, there will be a Kiwanis Bingo tent, the Lions Club Fish Tank and an expanded midway, open this year until midnight.

And at some point, Ontario's Greatest Woman, brainchild of Toronto-Danforth MPP Marilyn Churley, will be announced to the crowd.

Voting at www.marilynchurley.com is brisk and Churley's own choice to win - politician Agnes Macphail - is no secret.

"East Yorkers better get their votes in for Aggie," the New Democrat MPP said this week.

"They've got until the end of June and that's it."

Churley said she loved The Greatest Canadian on CBC this year but was disappointed no women made it to the contest's Top 10. After more than 80 nominations and hundreds of votes, Churley's Top 10 has such luminaries as activist and journalist June Callwood and Laura Secord, hero of the War of 1812.

Though she wouldn't reveal the standings, Churley confirmed Macphail, who she calls her role model, was not in the lead.

As Canada's first female MP, Macphail fought for prison reform and women's suffrage. She's also the first women to sit in the Ontario legislature, elected to serve East York.

"She was a trailblazer," Churley said.

"She was witty, she was strong, she was articulate and she never backed down."

I love parades and community parties.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 04:50 pm
http://www.stoaknowledgesystems.com/key2ottawa/Graphics/Canadian%20flag.gif

http://www.murkyview.com/images/peacetowerflag.jpg

http://www.vella-zarb.com/thomas/FirstCanflag.JPG

http://scaa.usask.ca/gallery/flagdisplay/images/web/panel21-3.jpg

http://www.canadiansportcentre.com/Communications/SportPerformanceWeekly/2004%20SPW%20Images/Joanne_Malar.jpg
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 05:01 pm
In the civilised world, it is now OFFICIALY July 1st.....so, let me be the first to PROPERLY wish you happy Canada Day !!

I will now smear myself with maple syrup in your honour, and go to bed.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 05:02 pm
How lovely!

On behalf of Canada, thank you, Lord Ellpus.

<curtsey>

<don't lie down on an anthill>
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 05:04 pm
That there maple syrup's pretty damned expensive . . . you must be well-heeled indeed . . .
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 06:21 pm
Happy Canada Day. Will you be able to have a nice walk?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 06:22 pm
Wait, do we have a USA day?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 06:24 pm
Yeah, it's called the Fourth of July, you silly terrier . . .
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 06:26 pm
Terrier! TERRIER! HarUMPH!

Is Canada Day a celebration of it's Independence?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 06:27 pm
Yes, the Canadian Dominion was established July 1, 1867.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 06:27 pm
Ah, oh... er... thanks.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 06:31 pm
Happy Canada day! Enjoy your...tukes? Is that what those hat-thingies are called?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 06:31 pm
My Sweetiepie Girl has a basket full of little Maple Leaf flags, just in case someone out there on the street in East York actually doesn't have one in their hot little hand as they walk by. The small friends will have much barking and general objecting to teenagers and other undesirables to do. A good time should be had by all.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 06:20 am
Canada Day

Background

On June 20, 1868, a proclamation signed by the Governor General, Lord Monck, called upon all Her Majesty's loving subjects throughout Canada to join in the celebration of the anniversary of the formation of the union of the British North America provinces in a federation under the name of Canada on July 1st.

The July 1 holiday was established by statute in 1879, under the name Dominion Day.

There is no record of organized ceremonies after this first anniversary, except for the 50th anniversary of Confederation in 1917, at which time the new Centre Block of the Parliament Buildings, under construction, was dedicated as a memorial to the Fathers of Confederation and to the valour of Canadians fighting in the First World War in Europe.

The next celebration was held in 1927 to mark the Diamond Jubilee of Confederation. It was highlighted by the laying of the cornerstone by the Governor General of the Confederation Building on Wellington Street and the inauguration of the Carillon in the Peace Tower.

Since 1958, the government has arranged for an annual observance of Canada's national day with the Secretary of State of Canada in charge of the coordination. The format provided for a Trooping the Colours ceremony on the lawn of Parliament Hill in the afternoon, a sunset ceremony in the evening followed by a mass band concert and fireworks display.

Another highlight was Canada's Centennial in 1967 when Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II attended the celebrations with Parliament Hill again being the backdrop for a large scale official ceremony.

The format changed in 1968 with the addition of multicultural and professional concerts held on Parliament Hill including a nationally televised show. Up until 1975, the focus of the celebrations, under the name "Festival Canada", was held in the National Capital Region during the whole month of July and involved numerous cultural, artistic and sport activities, as well as municipalities and voluntary organizations. The celebration was cancelled in 1976 but was reactivated in 1977.

A new formula was developed in 1980 whereby the National Committee (the federal government organization charged with planning Canada's Birthday celebrations) stressed and sponsored the development of local celebrations all across Canada. "Seed money" was distributed to promote popular and amateur activities organized by volunteer groups in hundreds of local communities. The same approach was also followed for the 1981 celebrations with the addition of fireworks displays in 15 major cities across the nation.

On October 27, 1982, July 1st which was known as "Dominion Day" became "Canada Day".

Since 1985, Canada Day Committees are established in each province and territory to plan, organize and coordinate the Canada Day celebrations locally. Grants are provided by the Department to those committees.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 06:23 am
kickycan wrote:
Happy Canada day! Enjoy your...tukes? Is that what those hat-thingies are called?

Thanks.
On behalf of Canadians, I must respectfully point out that it is spelled toque
http://www.evergreen.edu/library/govdocs/canadagov/toquesm.jpg
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 06:26 am
http://www.issprops.com/home/images/doughnuts.jpg

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CANADIA
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 06:30 am
Thanks for the donuts, Setanta
Do you want us all to look like this?
Laughing
http://bezz.homelinux.com/chops/donuts.jpg
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 06:34 am
Hey, i never go to East York without heading right out to the Coffee Time. The doggies give me enough exercise to keep me from getting any fatter than i already am.
0 Replies