Coronavirus Diaries

Lash

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2020 05:15 pm
My child lives in CT, and her college is very recently closed, but she still has to work in a glorified grocery store, coming into contact with a new person every five minutes. I suggested she quit and come half a country south to me. She’s not worried enough to do that.

My school says we may close for a week; they’ll tell us Monday. We might be asked to teach remotely. I’m fine with whatever happens in the regard.

I feel that it’s a forgone conclusion that many of us will die—people with compromised immune systems, respiratory complications, old people.

I thought we might want to leave a record of our experiences, thoughts as we move through this pandemic. I will be leaving one, anyway.

Having checked on my lovely resolute northward bairn and finding her matched to the moment, my greatest concern is finding things to do in my tiny apartment. Sharing Netflix, Hulu, and HBO fare with my kids for now. Not even worried about TP...

My school kids don’t seem overly concerned though we talked more than once about what 20 seconds of hand washing looks like...

I won’t get into the political implications of a pandemic in a country with unaffordable healthcare today.

But, I will get into it.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 27 • Views: 14,910 • Replies: 593

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2020 07:12 pm
@Lash,

i work for an engineering firm in bahstin.

today we were told to work from home for the next two weeks.

tonight we went to two supermarkets -- neither one had bread or frozen vegetables...
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2020 07:25 pm
First off, my wife and I are old. She takes blood pressure med, which is said to be a factor.

Some of my close family work in Walmart and otherwise deal with the public. We stay at home, mostly. When we walk in the park, we rarely touch anything. The biggest threat is when we shop for groceries or at some place like Lowes. Also, we eat out once a week. We are not hoarding supplies. Out of self defense we may be forced to buy a few things ahead. At Walmart all the meat is gone and I was told they are buying all the groceries. One local store online photo shows the toothpaste aisle practically decimated.

We are attempting to go on as normal, for now.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2020 08:27 pm
@Region Philbis,
Weird. Even in Farmington, NM, there was a shortage of frozen vegetables! For heaven's sake, why frozen vegetables? Oh, yeah, the paper products aisle was totally depleted. I wonder what we are planning for.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2020 08:38 pm
Weird--Canadia has many confirmed cases of he virus, including the PM's wife. Trudeau has "self-quarantined." None of this craziness is going on here, though. We've been shopping at several stores over the last few days. If a shelf is empty, that's because that item is on sale this week. Either tonight after midnight, or sometime tomorrow, I'm going to Shopper's Drug Mart for the weekend sale. One of the items on sale will be *gasp* toilet paper.
roger

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2020 09:38 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Trudeau has "self-quarantined."

Interesting contrast to our own president.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2020 05:47 am
The shelves of Houston stores emptied out this week. They aren't leaving us non hoarders anything. Not even toothpaste.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2020 09:38 am
I get a mass text on Saturday morning from my school admin saying we need to prepare for possible closure to students and gather some flipped classroom plans to teach remotely.

So many of them don't have wifi...
So many of them get their only meals at school...

We're mid-90% free lunch.
So many victims of this virus.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2020 09:45 am
Helen Teixeira
@imhelendt
·
15h
I am sitting in an ER in the epicenter with COVID symptoms being told that I am not able to have the 2 view chest x-ray the doctor ordered so that I do not contaminate the x-ray room and that I am not able to have a COVID test because they are being tightly rationed for patients
Lash

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2020 10:28 am
@edgarblythe,
oh my god.

American healthcare, ladies and gentlemen.
Lash

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2020 10:48 am
Tania Singh Retweeted
Tim Tagaris
@ttagaris
·
22h
"We are only as safe as the least insured person in America.” -
@BernieSanders
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2020 12:02 pm
@Lash,
And yet the woman is a Biden booster.
Lash

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2020 12:43 pm
@edgarblythe,
I'll talk to her... Smile
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2020 12:50 pm
JR Gaillot
@jrgaillot
·
Mar 13
I landed in Haiti and as I got off the plane I was tested for #COVID19 let that sink in
maxdancona

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2020 01:01 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

JR Gaillot
@jrgaillot
·
Mar 13
I landed in Haiti and as I got off the plane I was tested for #COVID19 let that sink in

He got a nasal swab? I find this difficult to believe.

A quick search says that the "testing" Haiti is doing for airline passengers involves having your temperature taken and filling out a form.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2020 01:16 pm
I finally ventured out into the world since the coronavirus became a thing locally. My corner Dollar Store had nary a tp roll, so I picked up paper towels, tissues, and normal items since it's my shopping day and I usually pick up certain items from different stores because I'm on a budget.

I drove down to the closest WalMart and they had in their possession two 15-roll packs and two four roll packs in all the store.

I ask the woman employee, on a ladder, pulling the toilet paper forward from waaay back on the top shelf, "This is it, huh?" She rolled her eyes and nodded.

I picked up a 4-roll pack and grinned.
Lash

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2020 01:19 pm
@Lash,
My admin just mass-e-mailed the 12 teachers on my hall.

His sister, an MD in TX says new data shows that young people dying from coronavirus have a statistical commonality of having taken ibuprofen early in illness.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2020 01:23 pm

JR Gaillot
@jrgaillot
·
Mar 13
Kathy Steiner
@kakss1_kathy
·
18h
Did they have the WHO kits? The ones Trump declined?
JR Gaillot
@jrgaillot
·
5h
Cdc kits as well
alex240101

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2020 01:58 pm
I think the anxiety of typical people will lessen next week. Yes the grocery stores were hit hard. Most large retailers have adjusted their strategies from errors in China. Unprecedented times, but I have faith things will plain out sooner then most think.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2020 02:25 pm
@edgarblythe,
I realize this is some random guy on twitter. I have no reason to question the veracity of random guys on twitter. But I am still skeptical.

1) There are no credible news stories that Haiti is testing for coronavirus at the airport (other than taking people's temperature and giving them a questionaire). See voanews.com/science-health/coronavirus-outbreak/haiti-intensifies-coronavirus-preparations for example.

2) Haiti is a very poor country who gets much of its test kits from the US CDC. The shortages in the US will be greater shortages in Haiti.

1. Forums
  2. » Coronavirus Diaries
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 12:51:42