Coronavirus Diaries

Lash

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2022 09:18 am
Recap on Covid experiences, my decision-making process, and recent revelations about vaccine vs previous infections.

I had Covid very shortly after it had been reported to have hopped over to the US. It was notable for me—I was almost completely debilitated with fatigue, I had a fever and headache that none of my lifelong remedies could improve, but I wasn’t gasping for breath, so I soldiered through on my own. One night in the midst of this ten-day haze, I woke up in the middle of the night and had this overwhelming feeling that if I went back to sleep, I’d never wake up again. I was too tired to do anything but close my eyes.

When I got through it, I believed my immune system had beaten it, (this was before vaccines were available) and when vaccines were being offered and then forcefully pushed, I felt confident that my immune system was as good if not better than a vaccine.

Then, Delta showed up. The fact that my immune system hadn’t experienced this exact variant plus the severity of Delta made me rethink my decision to rest in my immune system.

I talked to a couple of science teachers and a pharmacist family member, did some reading and very unhappily decided to get the vaccine—unhappily because every time I’ve received a vaccine (since my 30s), I’ve immediately gotten sick with what I was vaccinated against. (I’ve heard the rationale that I probably got a reduced version thanks to the vaccine…) But, Delta was deadlier, and I was trying to make the best decision.

I was very sick with the Delta variant 5 days after my vaccination.

I think we all know a lot of information will be gathered in the coming years about Covid and vaccines that we didn’t know when we stuck our arms out, hoping for the best.

Here’s one now: https://www.wsj.com/articles/prior-covid-19-infection-offered-better-protection-than-vaccination-during-delta-wave-11642619009?mod=e2fb&fbclid=IwAR39b5xQy4NoCZM0xVPt1Ga1q-W2wUO7up6qjpWbcw2tMWR-nrh8wlpEIwY

I’d have been better off without the vaccine. The news is in.
Wonder what else we’ll find out?

In the very least, let this help us not to be so judgmental about people who choose to rely on their immune systems. One size doesn’t fit all re the choice to use vaccines.
Mame

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2022 09:24 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

In the very least, let this help us not to be so judgmental about people who choose to rely on their immune systems. One size doesn’t fit all re the choice to use vaccines.

I have no problem with people not getting vaccinated. I just don't think they should be out and about with others. Go to the library or the grocery store, but as long as you're wearing a proper mask and not chatting with people (dispersing droplets), there should be no problem. Don't go to a restaurant where you'll be taking your mask off. Or a theatre where you'll be eating popcorn. That's all I ask - that people take the virus seriously.
Lash

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2022 10:00 am
@Mame,
I agree with you. I always have a mask with me and I wear it when I’m within 6 feet of people other than family.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2022 10:09 am
Just to make a note for comparison with others’ Omicron experiences:

Everyone in my extended family has had it.

Most widespread symptoms in common: flu-like body aches, extreme headache, dizziness, brain-fog.
Most illnesses lasted 1 week; two people had symptoms 2 weeks.
No respiratory symptoms.
One hospital visit in Michigan, 70 year old male, not admitted.
18 people in all—in three states.

Oh, I guess it’s good to delineate this info:
Two got Omicron within a week of their boosters.
70 year old was fully vaxxed and caught it from the two mentioned above.
Of the two with longer symptoms, 1 was the most careful, fully vaxxed and boostered 33 year old female—and completely unvaxxed 39 year old female.
The balance of us, almost half and half, unvaxxed and completely vaxxed. Me, the outlier again, partially vaxxed.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2022 11:37 am
With omicron we had several family members and friends test positive with it.

A week or so after Christmas those we gathered with...my brother, one of his daughters, his ex-wife and a friend. Two daughters did not, my mom, and other brother did not...they all live together in one way or another (two brothers and my mom live in the same house with his daughters when they aren't at their moms, one daughter lives with her boyfriend). All are vaccinated. Most with boosters.

My one daughter caught it that had covid before but had no symptoms this time... Neither my other daughter, my husband or I did not test positive or feel sick... We are.not boostered.

My friend got it mild symptoms..she is boosted and masks and is very careful due to her sons having transplants. One son got it but at a different time ... He got infusion after testing positive to help protect him and was not too sick. His brother and father did not get it...all live in the same house.

There seems no rhyme or reason why and when people are catching this. Fortunately it seems to be mostly mild for mist people. I know of two people who caught it recently that are not vaccinated and both had mild cold symptoms.

The vaccine does not seem to help with this variant.

And I think that doctors and the medical field are flying by the seat of their pants. They don't know honestly how to prevent this...I do think they are trying their best but honestly this is all new stuff how can they really know?
izzythepush

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2022 12:56 pm
@Linkat,
The vaccine does help, your friends had mild cold symptoms, if they had not been vaccinated it could have been a lot worse.
Albuquerque

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2022 01:12 pm
Got my third shot of Pfizer 2 days ago!
Felt a bit of dizziness on the end of the first day and on the second I was as good as new...now I have to wait 1 month to get the full effect of protection in order to get out. Keep pushing Vitamin C on moderate levels and taking Honey with Tea and a zip of milk.

...as inevitable many more then usual mutations will come out of the exponential growth of contagions all around the world from Omicron I expect to get another booster shot in the end of 2022!
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2022 01:14 pm
@izzythepush,
A friend of mine (unvaccinated) told me yesterday she tested positive for Covid. She got symptoms Saturday and is already over. Disembodied feeling and fatigued, sore throat, but not all at the same time.
Albuquerque

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2022 01:20 pm
@Mame,
...yeah around 70% have very mild symptoms on Covid, the problem for most is not about catching it but spreading it to people with fragilities as you well know...it is irresponsible behaviour that cannot and hopefully will not be tolerated!
Linkat

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2022 02:13 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

The vaccine does help, your friends had mild cold symptoms, if they had not been vaccinated it could have been a lot worse.

Both the unvaccinated individuals also just had mild cold symptoms.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2022 02:18 pm
@Albuquerque,
Albuquerque wrote:

...yeah around 70% have very mild symptoms on Covid, the problem for most is not about catching it but spreading it to people with fragilities as you well know...it is irresponsible behaviour that cannot and hopefully will not be tolerated!

The thing is people are also spreading it that are vaccinated. The family situation all were vaccinated and had boosters but yet the family spread it to each other.

I think that is what I am getting at I am seeing both situations. NIW I am vaccinated and just taking normal precautions like I would normally in cold season but I have decided to roam about as I feel. To be honest I don't mask in public unless a facility requires it. My husband similar ....

Neither one if us have tested positive or been sick.

I just find it weird that there really seems to be no definitive reason why person is positive or not.

I do agree to be careful about those at risk....like I did not visit an elderly family in a rehab when my daughter tested positive.. Since she is in the same house I did not want to chance to spread anything so until after the quarantine period and a negative result we resumed normal behavior.
Mame

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2022 02:30 pm
@Linkat,
I wear a mask indoors whether it's required or not because I don't want to get it, mild or not.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2022 09:50 pm
Thanks everybody. That’s the best I’ve felt about a conversation dealing with masks, vaccines, and opinions re our weird global situation since the whole thing started.

I keep fooling myself into leaning toward believing that since omicron was so much weaker, maybe it’ll be the last potentially dangerous iteration. Time will tell.

roger

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2022 10:01 pm
@Lash,
Yeah, I keep hoping this omicron thing will make us all somewhat immune to any other variations. That's a hope; not a prediction.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Coronavirus Diaries
  3. » Page 30
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 12:45:47