Shelby Foote, Historian And Novelist Dead At 88

panzade

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 08:42 am
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/29/books/29foote.html?pagewanted=all

"Shelby Foote, the historian whose incisive, seasoned commentary - delivered in a drawl so mellifluous that one critic called it "molasses over hominy" - evoked the Civil War for millions in the 11-hour PBS documentary in 1990, died on Monday at a Memphis hospital He was 88 and lived in Memphis.
The novelist, whose Southern storyteller's touch inspired millions to read his multivolume work on the Civil War, was 88.

His death was reported by his wife, Gwyn, The Associated Press said.

Mr. Foote's 89 cameo appearances in Ken Burns's series "The Civil War" were informed by his own three-volume history of the war, two decades in the making, that blended his practiced novelist's touch with punctilious, but defiantly unfootnoted research."

I don't know what possessed me to check out one of his books from the library but by 1985 when Ken Burns' documentary came out I had read all three of his volumes on the Civil War. It was an extra treat to see him explaining the war from his Southern rooted vantage point.
He'll be missed
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 749 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 08:58 am
I truly enjoyed Mr. Foote's informed analysis and his unique presentation style. Now, historians may write of him.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 09:00 am
I adored him in that documentary - absolutely fell for him.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 09:02 am
One of the best historical novels i've read was by Mr. Foote--Shiloh. I've read no other which so accurately conveys how the firing line must have been sensed by those in it. It lead to a request by Bennet Cerf for him to write a history of the American Civil War, which of course, became his magnus opus.

There is an excellent biography of Mr. Foote to be found here.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 09:06 am
Thanks Set - the man oozed scholarship, love for his subject, wit, style, gentilesse, comapssion and humanity.
0 Replies