Are you changing plans for travel Due To Coronavirus Fears

Linkat

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2020 02:09 pm
Our Governor wants us to -

Baker Wants Mass. Schools To Cancel Trips Abroad Due To Coronavirus Fears

Gov. Charlie Baker asked colleges and high schools in Massachusetts to cancel international school trips due to coronavirus risks Wednesday morning during a news conference. Baker also reminded residents that coronavirus risk in the state is still low.

This comes in the wake of the CDC issuing updated guidance Tuesday night directing people who have returned from China, South Korea, Italy and Iran to self-quarantine for 14 days. Baker said he has been meeting with public health experts and stakeholders, as well as coordinating with federal agencies, in the past few days to come up with coronavirus precautions and guidelines for institutions.

Full article -
https://boston.cbslocal.com/2020/03/04/baker-wants-mass-schools-to-cancel-trips-abroad-due-to-coronavirus-fears/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 13 • Views: 2,830 • Replies: 132

maxdancona

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2020 02:13 pm
@Linkat,
I am sure looking out for great deals on airfare.

0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2020 02:13 pm
@Linkat,
Does this make sense? I can understand those countries where the risk is higher? But should all schools stop because they are traveling to say --- Canada?

I think that is a bit much - my daughter is actually traveling internationally with her school next month and I did not give it a thought as she is not going near anywhere I even heard of one person with this virus. She did meet with a travel doctor to ensure she was fully vaccinated and there was no mention of a fear of coronavirus.

My other daughter has plans to travel to Europe end of May -- not Italy as far as I know her travel plans have not changed - but this is not part of a school.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2020 07:27 pm
Yes. I am going to try to reduce contact with other people this year to a minimum. I have already canceled my plans to visit a museum in Chicago this spring.

And while I wouldn't count this in the "travel" category, I'm not going out to movie theaters this year either. I'll wait until I can watch on HBO/Showtime/EPIX/Starz.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2020 08:27 am
The only thing I changed was just being more aware of what I am doing - such as touching things --- when I take the subway I minimize anything I touch for example. I keep my hands away from my face at least until I get somewhere that I can wash my hands and are only touching items that are likely not touched by someone else.

I do not want to live in a bubble - I do not want to stop going to the movies, out to dinner, etc. Just be aware.

My daughter is flying tomorrow to come home from spring break - I expect she will use her common sense and simply be more aware of the same. In one way this might be good - there may be less people on her flight making it more enjoyable rather than being squeezed in like sardines.
oralloy

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2020 05:11 pm
@Linkat,
What if someone who has the virus coughs in your face when you are on the subway?
maxdancona

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2020 05:53 pm
There is an interesting economic game to play here....

The courageous of us are greatly rewarded. While you are all cloistered in your houses watching NetFlix the more adventurous are going to be enjoying empty beaches, great deals on hotels, famous sights with no lines to wait in and rock bottom airfares.

You might argue that it isn't "rational" to trade risk for reward in this way... but that is exactly what you do any time you step on an airplane (or step out of your house for that matter). I am betting that people in general will exaggerate the risk. This is something that greatly benefits me economically speaking.

The irony is that all of the people choosing to stay home actually benefits me... decreasing the risk to that that I have already decided is manageable. And of course, you staying home is the reason that I will be getting great hotel rooms at rock bottom prices.

So... be very afraid. I am planning to up my travel game this year.
Linkat

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2020 06:07 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

What if someone who has the virus coughs in your face when you are on the subway?

No different than the bonehead who sneezed on my head a couple of years ago.

So I lose my job because I am afraid that the small percent chance someone with this virus coughs on me

I probably shouldn’t get in a car cuz the chances for an a car accident are much higher
oralloy

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2020 06:24 pm
@Linkat,
If he had the virus, I think there would be one significant difference.

I understand the need to keep your job. But you might want to consider trying to find a less public way of getting to work.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2020 06:58 pm
No. I was staying home anyway.
BillRM

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2020 02:35 am
@edgarblythe,
You know I hate to agree with Trump on anything at all but this is beyond silly as the flu that we all live with every year is many times more likely to harm you or end up even killing you then this virus.

Once more we need to demand that our children at the high school level be taught how to judge everyday risks.

Due to my age and medical conditions I am at higher risk of not surviving this virus if I catch it but there are any numbers of things that we all risk in daily life that is must more likely to end my life then this virus.

To sum up this is not the black death of the middle ages or even the 1918 flu.
oralloy

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2020 03:24 am
@BillRM,
We can vaccinate vulnerable people against the flu.

We don't have a vaccine against this yet.
Linkat

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2020 07:28 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

If he had the virus, I think there would be one significant difference.

I understand the need to keep your job. But you might want to consider trying to find a less public way of getting to work.

So instead of taking the subway - I would need to drive. So that actually increases my chances of dying as it more likely that I would die in a car crash than catching and dying of the coronavirus.

Really doesn't make much sense. Unless of course I am in a high risk group - which I am not of my group I would have 1.3% chance of dying IF I caught the coronavirus - not sure what the stats are of even catching this virus is so statistically my chances of dying of this virus is obviously significantly less than 1.3%.

Whereas just getting in a car gives me that 1.3% chance of dying - not sure if you know but dying in a car accident is the highest chance of dying of anything the CDC tracks -- considering I would have to drive in Boston rush hour traffic - probably safer on the subway.

Wait I am more worried about an accident happening on the subway, getting shot on the subway (yes someone pulled out a gun on it) or many other crazy things that occur on the subway - the virus is very low on the list.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2020 07:30 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

We can vaccinate vulnerable people against the flu.

We don't have a vaccine against this yet.

agreed so the focus should be on preventing those that are vulnerable from getting this virus. I understand anyone in that category changing their lifestyle as a result and avoiding public places. But for the average person - one that is not vulnerable - common sense should prevail. You do not need to change your whole life - do normal precautions (as you should any way). Same way you should avoid catching any flu or virus.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2020 07:33 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

The irony is that all of the people choosing to stay home actually benefits me... decreasing the risk to that that I have already decided is manageable. And of course, you staying home is the reason that I will be getting great hotel rooms at rock bottom prices.

So... be very afraid. I am planning to up my travel game this year.

Ha ha - I told my daughter who is flying home today for spring break - maybe this fear of the virus might help you get an empty flight where you can spread out! Kinda of the same attitude.

I was looking at the rates dropping due to stock market fears so instead of selling everything in a panic - I said lets look at our mortgage (we have a very low rate) - with the rate dropping we might be in a situation where a refinance could help us out financially.

Smart people do not panic - they prepare.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2020 12:16 pm
@maxdancona,
Ive been doing an increase of dollar cost averaging of really good quality stocks. Ive uppd my contributions and cycles(Im buying on a weekly basis and I expect to recoup , make up losses and profit well all within a 2 year window)

As far as travel, Ive cancelled my planned trips to NYC for client meetings . We are planning severl meetings in Charleston W Va .

Im not planning any trips to the N Pa mining ares till we start showing how the virus begins playing in the mid Atlantic.

farmerman

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2020 12:21 pm
@maxdancona,
It only takes one or two "donors" of respiratory phlegmatic ejecta to really **** up your weekend.

We really hd no big plans till late summer and we were going up to Newfoundland in a rental Winnie diesel 20 footer van. See what comes up to mess with that..

0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2020 12:38 pm
@farmerman,
I think it would depend on the trip - if it is not really needed business trip then why - if it is a life time opportunity trip (like my high schooler has next month) then yeah especially considering the country she is going to has zero reported cases - she will be safer there from the virus.

My other daughter coming home for spring break - again she is so looking forward to it ---

If it is something easy to postpone that is one thing - and also where you are going.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2020 12:46 pm
@farmerman,
given the rate at which conferences/meetings/festivals are being cancelled, seems we'll be staycationing. just read about Lufthansa grounding Airbus A380 fleet, and other airlines considering grounding their largest planes ... will wait to see how things go. pretty sure I don't want to be on a tiny plane crossing an ocean.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2020 12:49 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

I think it would depend on the trip - if it is not really needed business trip then why

I'm actually quite pleased about some of the business conference / meeting cancellations. Most of that crap can be done online - which works for my desire to decrease my contribution to climate change. Big tech conference in Toronto just announced it's going to be online. Lousy news for hotels/restos but ... it makes more sense than needless travel.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Are you changing plans for travel Due To Coronavirus Fears
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/07/2024 at 07:17:01