Are you changing plans for travel Due To Coronavirus Fears

BillRM

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2020 01:42 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

We can vaccinate vulnerable people against the flu.

We don't have a vaccine against this yet.

LOL you do know that flu vaccinates are only around 5o percent efficient even assuming that they had guess correctly and therefore the vaccine produced is for this year strain of Flu.
oralloy

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2020 02:23 pm
@BillRM,
I've no idea of the efficiency, but I'd have thought it would be better than 50%.

Vaccines can also reduce severity of an illness even when they don't completely prevent someone from getting sick.

Plus, every person that a vaccine prevents from getting sick is also someone who doesn't transmit the illness on to others. Vaccines can prevent illness this way even for people who are not vaccinated.

So overall vaccines do quite a lot to reduce the severity of influenza.
BillRM

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2020 02:56 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

I've no idea of the efficiency, but I'd have thought it would be better than 50%.

Vaccines can also reduce severity of an illness even when they don't completely prevent someone from getting sick.

Plus, every person that a vaccine prevents from getting sick is also someone who doesn't transmit the illness on to others. Vaccines can prevent illness this way even for people who are not vaccinated.

So overall vaccines do quite a lot to reduce the severity of influenza.

Being vaccines is far better then not being vaccines but it is far far from a silver bullet my friend.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2020 08:36 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

For your information from the CDC website

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/vaccines-work/vaccineeffect.htm

Quote:
How effective is the flu vaccine?
CDC conducts studies each year to determine how well the influenza (flu) vaccine protects against flu illness. While vaccine effectiveness (VE) can vary, recent studies show that flu vaccination reduces the risk of flu illness by between 40% and 60% among the overall population during seasons when most circulating flu viruses are well-matched to the flu vaccine. In general, current flu vaccines tend to work better against influenza B and influenza A(H1N1) viruses and offer lower protection against influenza A(H3N2) viruses. See “Does flu vaccine effectiveness vary by type or subtype?” and “Why is flu vaccine typically less effective against influenza A H3N2 viruses?” for more information.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 06:29 am
Family gathering cancelled for this month. My folks are in their late 80s and my mother is a cancer survivor. 'Nuff said.
farmerman

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 06:36 am
@jespah,
I plan not to go to New Jersey.
Linkat

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 08:52 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I plan not to go to New Jersey.

Well I’d plan NOT to go to New Jersey any way.
farmerman

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 08:55 am
@Linkat,
New Jrsey is unhealthy
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2020 07:49 am
So my workplace is requiring us to work from home for two weeks straight. So 50% of us are supposed to work for the next two weeks at home and then we switch where the other 50% work from home the next two weeks.

I know last week there were increased hand sanitizer stations throughout the building with a large sign near it with an arrow pointing to it saying in large letters HAND SANITIZER.

There have been no reported cases of coronavirus within our company even though we are an international company.
farmerman

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2020 08:03 am
@Linkat,
wash hands before using the Purell. Sanitizers dont flush off the nasty bits that hide the virus.

Watch how you eneter and egress rooms with doors.

Linkat

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2020 08:23 am
@farmerman,
Yes I typically rely more on the asking than the sanitizers... I usually only use them when there is no alternative or until I can wash.

And like you said I am aware or try to be where I touch ... use my arm to push open a door, I grab the door knob toward the bottom or top rather than the muddle ( but maybe everyone is doing this now) and usually with just one finger not my whole hand anything to minimize what I touch.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2020 11:39 am
I was flying last week to Europe - plane was half emtpy, really nice!
Some people take precautions that are necessary, others are plain paranoid which is unjustified. Why on earth would I buy toilet paper like crazy?
Yes, I would not go to a mass events, but I am not willing to buy into the paranoia of others. The flu kills far more people every year and no one cares....
oralloy

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2020 12:08 pm
@CalamityJane,
COVID-19 is predicted to kill ten times as many people this year as the flu kills in a normal year.

That's half a million deaths in the US.

People can also get a flu vaccine if they wish.
BillRM

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2020 05:10 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

COVID-19 is predicted to kill ten times as many people this year as the flu kills in a normal year.

That's half a million deaths in the US.

People can also get a flu vaccine if they wish.

Death numbers guesses coming from wh0 my friend???????

An once more the flu vaccine is only roughly 50 percent efficient on a good year.

BillRM

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2020 05:22 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

I was flying last week to Europe - plane was half emtpy, really nice!
Some people take precautions that are necessary, others are plain paranoid which is unjustified. Why on earth would I buy toilet paper like crazy?
Yes, I would not go to a mass events, but I am not willing to buy into the paranoia of others. The flu kills far more people every year and no one cares....

The total air in airliner is change out many many times an hour an put through the same filter type HEPA systems as hospital operation rooms used on top of that.

0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2020 06:22 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

From medical experts.

BillRM wrote:
An once more the flu vaccine is only roughly 50 percent efficient on a good year.

That's still a lot of lives saved.

And even in the cases where a vaccine does not prevent illness, it lessens severity.

And every person who is prevented from getting sick is also someone who doesn't transmit the illness to others. A dose of vaccine can save more than just the life of the person who received it.
BillRM

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2020 07:07 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

BillRM wrote:

Quote:
From medical experts.

What medical experts would that be an please directly link to them as I did with the CDC.

oralloy

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2020 07:19 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
What medical experts would that be

The ones who advised America's hospitals on how to prepare for the pandemic.

BillRM wrote:
an please directly link to them as I did with the CDC.

The presentation was given to hospitals, not to the public.

The best I can do is link to the leaked PowerPoint slides from the presentation.

https://www.businessinsider.com/presentation-us-hospitals-preparing-for-millions-of-hospitalizations-2020-3
ehBeth

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2020 07:21 pm
@Linkat,
we all got giant tubs of lysol wipes on our desks + tubs of sanitizer all over the place. thanks. I prefer to wash my hands and actually keep a bit of skin.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2020 08:38 pm
@oralloy,
Sound like a sale person trying to sell supplies to hospitals but if you can come up with more then you have to this point I will look into it.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/07/2024 at 12:51:41