Are you changing plans for travel Due To Coronavirus Fears

oralloy

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2020 08:51 pm
@BillRM,
The estimate did not come from a salesperson, but from a medical doctor specializing in public health.

This guy here:
https://www.unmc.edu/intmed/divisions/id/faculty/lawler.html
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2020 06:24 am
So they canceled my daughter's trip which was supposed to happen next month. They said they are going to replace it with a trip within the US that will be several days shorter in length than the international trip to help out a medical clinic in South American.

To me this is plain old stupid. The country they were to travel to has no cases of this virus. They would be in a small village so even less contact with others. So instead they are going to travel within the US where we have significantly more cases of the virus. Logically - how is this helping to NOT spread the conronavirus or for their health reasons?

We will get credit for any difference in cost so it is not an issue of money - to me this is actually more of a risk than where they were supposed to go.

They also canceled in Boston the St. Patrick's Day parade - but we still have things like Bruins hockey and Celtics basketball games? These are indoors where people are cramped in close together - what is the difference between these games and an outdoor parade (personally being outdoors in the outside air seems healthier and less of chance of catching a virus than in an indoor facility?

The plain old lack of common sense --- look at the panic in the stock market --- people that panic do dumb things - it scares me more that we have people in leadership positions making decisions that panic than really think logically.
roger

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2020 11:09 am
@Linkat,
It's important to be seen doing something. They are doing something.
Linkat

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2020 03:03 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

It's important to be seen doing something. They are doing something.

Yeah something stupid ... causing people to panic unnecessarily... instead of taking common sense precautions you have paranoid people sticking up on crap and hiding inside.
farmerman

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2020 05:05 pm
@Linkat,
whenever Plump schedules press conferences he always first tells staffers to "look busy".
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2020 05:08 pm
@Linkat,
I was told that the Great Maryland SHeep and Wool Festival may be cancelled because it draws folks from all over the country and CANADIA. They dont raise a lot of sheep in bigger cities do they??
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2020 05:17 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
Logically - how is this helping to NOT spread the conronavirus

maybe by keeping the infection coming in from the US?
maxdancona

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2020 05:31 pm
@ehBeth,
The "infection" is already in the US.
oralloy

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2020 06:37 pm
@maxdancona,
I think she meant in to the other country from the US.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2020 07:00 am
@ehBeth,

And so instead these kids are traveling to DISNEY. Tell me how this would prevent the infection from spreading further in the US - do you think they will come into more contact with a higher percent chance of the virus at a Disney theme park than at a remote village within a country that currently has zero cases of the infection.

Thank you governor Baker for your intelligent and common sense leadership.

And if you meant by the other way - I don't think governor Baker's request for no overseas travel was to prevent it from coming into that country - it was to "protect" Mass. It was not a request from that country - that country is allowing cruise ships to embark there still so they have not requested stopping of travel to their country.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2020 09:24 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
And if you meant by the other way - I don't think governor Baker's request

exactly

I don't care what governor meant. Smart thing for other country would be to not allow people into their country if they haven'thad any cases yet.

the whole helpingtourism thing is another issue
Linkat

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2020 07:43 am
@ehBeth,
Yeah that was what I was referencing because that is the reason for this trip to be canceled - which I was pointing out what an idiot he is ---

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2020 08:09 am
@Linkat,
Quote:
They also canceled in Boston the St. Patrick's Day parade - but we still have things like Bruins hockey and Celtics basketball games? These are indoors where people are cramped in close together - what is the difference between these games and an outdoor parade (personally being outdoors in the outside air seems healthier and less of chance of catching a virus than in an indoor facility?

Factually, the NBA (Celtics) has been suspended. the Bruins (NHL) will be playing to empty stadiums.

I am going to stand up for Governor Baker. I think he is wise to listen to the medical experts.

I think the experts (the people who actually know the risks) are taking the coronavirus very seriously. This is being turned into policy by the politicians who have to balance the health scare with public policy.

The more I learn about this crisis, the more I am on the side of canceling things. It seems like there is real science saying that public gatherings and travel should be curtailed.

I can't speak for your daughter's trip. The difficulty with public policy is that you have to set broad guidelines. It isn't like they can easily set up rules to determine good travel from risky travel.

This is one of the cases where I have changed my mind after listening to people who know more than I do. I started out with the idea that this was exagerrated (and I posted as such). Now, after learning more, I have stopped playing poker (something I love to do, but puts me in close contact with thousands of strangers in a hotel/resort), and I have to figure out what to do with my vacation plans in April.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2020 09:59 am
@maxdancona,
My company is not generally open to people working from home even though we are software engineers who can work just fine from anywhere with internet.

They just told us to work from home for two weeks.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2020 10:27 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:

Factually, the NBA (Celtics) has been suspended. the Bruins (NHL) will be playing to empty stadiums.

I am going to stand up for Governor Baker. I think he is wise to listen to the medical experts.

I think the experts (the people who actually know the risks) are taking the coronavirus very seriously. This is being turned into policy by the politicians who have to balance the health scare with public policy.

The more I learn about this crisis, the more I am on the side of canceling things. It seems like there is real science saying that public gatherings and travel should be curtailed.

I can't speak for your daughter's trip. The difficulty with public policy is that you have to set broad guidelines. It isn't like they can easily set up rules to determine good travel from risky travel.

This is one of the cases where I have changed my mind after listening to people who know more than I do. I started out with the idea that this was exagerrated (and I posted as such). Now, after learning more, I have stopped playing poker (something I love to do, but puts me in close contact with thousands of strangers in a hotel/resort), and I have to figure out what to do with my vacation plans in April.

Sorry I still see no sign that this is going to be worst then the average repeat the average Flu season.

Hell the death toll seem very unlikely to match the average Flu season.

Quote:
In total, the CDC estimates that up to 42.9 million people got sick during the 2018-2019 flu season, 647,000 people were hospitalized and 61,200 died. That's fairly on par with a typical season, and well below the CDC's 2017-2018 estimates of 48.8 million illnesses, 959,000 hospitalizations and 79,400 deaths.Jun 20, 2019
maxdancona

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2020 10:47 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
Sorry I still see no sign that this is going to be worst then the average repeat the average Flu season.

I do see signs that this is going to be worse than the flu.

1. The death rate (according to medical experts) is about 20 times higher than that of the flu. This means a greater percentage of people with corona virus die than people with influenza.

2. The R0 number (according to medical experts) is about twice that of normal influenza. This is the main number experts use measure of how contagious a virus is.

3. If people were simply getting corona virus in place of the flu, then you would have a point. But that isn't what is happening. The flu isn't going away. The hospitals still need the same number of beds for the normal flu patients, and now they need more beds for this new pandemic.

As I understand it, the crisis is that we will run out of hospital beds.

BillRM

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2020 10:54 am
I have a close friend who is supporting herself and two minors children by working, until recently, long long hours for a company that supply cruise ships and who have no idea now if or when she might be lay off due this virus harming the cruise companies.

Told her that I would have her back if need be.

That in my opinion is the major harm this Flu type virus is likely to do.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2020 10:59 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:

I do see signs that this is going to be worse than the flu.

1. The death rate (according to medical experts) is about 20 times higher than that of the flu. This means a greater percentage of people with corona virus die than people with influenza.

2. The R0 number (according to medical experts) is about twice that of normal influenza. This is the main number experts use measure of how contagious a virus is.

3. If people were simply getting corona virus in place of the flu, then you would have a point. But that isn't what is happening. The flu isn't going away. The hospitals still need the same number of beds for the normal flu patients, and now they need more beds for this new pandemic.

As I understand it, the crisis is that we will run out of hospital beds.

Where the hell do you get those numbers as I had not seen such numbers on the CDC website.

Hell children seems so far to be not effect by this virus unlike the Flu.

It can be deadly to old people such as myself but most people hardly know when they have it.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2020 11:09 am
@BillRM,
These numbers are being reported on multiple sources. See https://www.livescience.com/new-coronavirus-compare-with-flu.html for example.

My position is that you listen to the medical experts. The medical experts are taking this new virus damn seriously... I figure I (not being a medical expert) should listen to them. I do have the advantage of being close to my brother, who does have expertise in public health.

I agree that the CDC is doing a horrible job communicating with the public.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2020 12:04 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
the Bruins (NHL) will be playing to empty stadiums. 
the NHL is likewise suspending all games until further notice...
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 05/07/2024 at 02:45:56