http://www.thewbalchannel.com/news/2056537/detail.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,321 • Replies: 31
No top replies

snood

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 09:51 am
I notice you posted that unaccompanied by comment, Edgar - so, what d'ya think?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 10:00 am
I think the father is 100% correct. I can find no justification for the loss of a single American in that action.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 03:18 pm
I think a couple of things...
I think there's a lot of potential for a shitstorm of ridiculous proportions arising out of that father's words.
I think that there are ramifications not just about the opposition so many Americans have for this action in Iraq, but about issues raised because the son was a black man (I can hear the howls form some already of "Why do you have to bring race into it?")
I think not many people have any conception of what its like to make a commitment to fight and die for a cause, especially a cause they personally don't believe in, but do so because they see it as a matter of personal honor.
I think I have been forced by this whole conflagration (for now) centering in Iraq to rethink my whole attitude toward this country, and the military with which I make my living.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 03:43 pm
I almost mentioned the man's race, but I did not know how to approach it without putting my foot in my mouth. I just know the very poor and the people of color are used like pieces of toilet paper anymore.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 03:47 pm
The death is tragic as any death would and should be. The American public grieves along with the family. However, that is the tragic choice one makes when one inlists in the military.
Snood
I will bite, what has race got to do with it.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 03:57 pm
Nothing, as far as you're concerned, Au - so don't bother about it.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 04:05 pm
Edgar

Did you notice that the other people killed were all white or from the name one was Hispanic.
I should also note that in the past a good part of the service people were draftees and had no choice whether to serve or not.
Again I cannot see what race has to do with it the death of an American serviceman it is a tragedy no matter the race. I guess I have a problem in that regard while the first thing some people see is race the first thing I see it is an American boy.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 04:14 pm
So many black people have no other avenue to better themselves, so they join the military, hoping for education or a career - a piece of the pie. So after getting crapped on all their lives here they suddenly are going to war instead. A war they don't necessarily believe in.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 04:26 pm
I don't think that is one of options I was given when I enlisted.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 05:36 pm
I have talked to lots of young people who enlisted for the sole purpose of getting an education. Others of course may be thinking of a career in the military - nice retirement and all. In between wartime, I have yet to meet anyone who enlisted to fight.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 06:20 pm
Edgar.
Right they are gambling that there will be no action during their enlistment. That hasn't been a very good gamble since WW2
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 07:03 pm
I know they are gambling. I enlisted in peace-time and the Cuban Missile Crisis and the Vietnam war happened. I missed being sent to Vietnam by only a few months.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 07:18 pm
When you join the military, of your own free will, you are being trained to be a warrior. A person who enlists need to know that. Some of these kids think that they can get all the advantages of the military, without going to war.

I did not believe in the draft, as I believe it is involuntary servitude. If a person enlists of his own free will, he or she needs to know the risks of the job, and be prepared to fight.

I feel deep sadness for the young man who was killed in Iraq, and his family.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 07:22 pm
Regardless of the reality of being sent off to kill or be killed, in quiet times the military's offering very good educational benefits to entice people to join up is a powerful lure to those who see no other way to get an education. Hence, the large number of black enlistees.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 07:29 pm
edgarblythe- What you are saying is very true. The military puts a cheerful gloss on their advertisements. They have done a fine selling job, especially to poor kids who want to better themselves. But that is no more than public relations B.S.

If a youngster does not want to take the risk of going to war, he/she needs to find another way to get an education. Remember, in a non-conscription military there is ALWAYS a choice. No one is forced to go!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 07:31 pm
I don't argue that they join of their own free will. I only note that when options are few and there is no shooting, people will throw down them dice, hoping for a seven or eleven.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 07:35 pm
edgarblythe- They need to know, up front, that sometimes "snake eyes" will come up!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 08:58 pm
You should not underestimate the pressures caused by desperation.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 10:34 pm
The Military life has much to recommend it, especially the military of the 21st century. The pay is low, and most soldiers are overloaded with work. Staffing levels are kept to the minimum to save money, so non-coms and officers often fill multiple roles. It is a healthy life. Physical standards are high, and rigidly enforced. Woe unto those a half-pound over the designated weight! Soldiers are always being challenged, and measured and evaluated. Training schedules are rigid and demanding. You are often called away from your family, and sent to do stuff without being told exactly where and why you are going. You know what do, because lives depend upon your excellence; fail and your best friend may die. A hard life, a demanding life that not just anyone can do.

Military life is about shared difficulties, about working together as a team to achieve something fine. Military people are proud of themselves and their unit, and their country. Young people enter for many reasons, and most of them will come away satisfied. They will get their education, learn a skill, get away from the gang back home, make their old man happy, get to wear a snazzy uniform, and countless other motives will be satisfied. Those who don't come away better than they went in, weren't worth much in the first place. This military attracts the BEST, and those who can not measure up soon depart. Some of those young people, because the military life is a young person's game, will find even more.

They will descover friends they will cherish for the rest of their lives. They will find satisfaction and reward in serving and protecting their nation. These are not 9 to 5 jobs that never produce much more than a paycheck, but demanding jobs that serve the highest interests of their People. They will become not be glory hounds, but society's life guards. Their quiet modesty and confidence will make the best of them into leaders.

God bless them all, for they are the best of us.
0 Replies