Mutually assured destruction not so assured anymore?

Ray

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 12:31 am
With fanatic terrorism on the move, is the so-called balance of nuclear armaments or the mutually assured destruction obsolete?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 785 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 01:46 am
I think so.

1. Someone can sneak a small WMD into your country, perhaps in pieces, detonate it, and remain anonymous, denying involvement if accused. So why fear reprisals?

2. The Soviets and the Chinese, for all their faults, were not suicidal madmen like some of today's terrorists.

3. Terrorist organizations may not even have a return address to direct retaliation to.

4. The advance of technology continues to bring more and more powerful and affordable PCs within more peoples' reach, and the same is true of WMD technology.

The dynamics now are very different from when a few more or less rational countries possessed such weapons. I think MAD is not much applicable any more.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 11:53 am
I fully agree with you Brandon.

There are also those missing nuclear briefcases from the USSR.
0 Replies