The age of Hawaii

farmerman

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2020 07:02 pm
@livinglava,
You are jut flt incorrect.A " plume" doesnt imply convection.As I said early in this thrad. A plume is the rising of magma and it causes undersea eruption. What the Op stated he calls a bulge is merely the HAwaiian volcanoes that rise above sea level as they pass over the hot spot. The (now called) lavas are "BASIC" in chemistry, they are hotter and more liqui than volcanoes along subdution zones where cascadia style volcanoes and Strombolis form. Acidic lavas are stony and laden with ashfll and nues ardentes(where In Hawaii they calll them Pelean Clouds). The Hawaiian "shield " type volcanoes just bubble up to the surface and create new land and mountains from great liquid lava fields that caused the Islands to form and then mosy at about 4cm/yr to the NW in a long chain where they erode back into the sea.

His term 'Bulge"IS primarily and merely a language difference so please take off your clerical collar and lecturing me bout stuff I know more about and which we talk with colleagues about. The geological term "bulge" has several exact meanings and none of which, except one has to do with his thread lead-in .
1. Remember Mt St Helens??? There ws a BULGE which was a rising surficially expressed pressure dome where the volcano (An andesitic type) FIRSTBLEW UP.
2. A nother BULGE is a landmass that protrudes farther into the sea than the general outline of the landmass. (Brazil 's landmass to the East Atlantic ocean is termed a "bulge"
3. A "tidal Bulge"is a theoretical increase in ocean water level directly in line or opposite the sun or the moon
4.The SOUTH AFRICAN specific term "bulge" is an asymmetrical uplift of the seaward side of a rifted continental mass. This was originally coined and applied in South African Geology.
When a student uses certain scientific jargon and uses it incorrectly, when they are corrected, most students would say 'ok thanks" "Ill never make that mistake again. You seem to fly off the handle and dont give people the time to explain because youre too busy sniping. Why not just say "thank you, now I know what a bulge is"

Most sciences have language terms and jargon that is unique to the science. Look at technology , how its glommed other words from English and precisley adopted it for its own. The latest one Ive heard is the scads of information pulled all into one screen of a laptop or a phone. They call it a DASHBOARD. Took me three weeks to figure out what it meant. (I shoulda asked Leadfoot ).

So stop hollering at people who are merely trying to expand your understanding of a mere word. You have a habit of accusing half the people here of insulting you when perhaps you should be looking at yourself in a mirror.

I havnt told the OP cause apparently you and I scared him off.

As I started to say, sciences have their own words that are precisely assigned , or they derive from historical use.
We use "Bulge" as a verb or predicate object many times for many arenas. Its use as a proper noun is pretty much those 4 Ive given you.

There are a few others but they involve areas Not associated with tectonics or land masses.
livinglava

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2020 07:19 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

a plume doesnt imply convection.As I said early in this thrad. A plume is the rising of magma and it causes undersea eruption. What the Op stated he calls a bulge is merely the HAwaiian volcanoes that rise above sea level as they pass over the hot spot. The (now called) lavas are "BASIC" in chemistry, they are hotter and more liqui than volcanoes along subdution zones where cascadia style volcanoes and Strombolis form. Acidic lavas are stony and laden with ashfll and nues ardentes. In Hawaii they calll them Pelean Clouds. The HWaiian "shield " type volcanoes just bubble up to the surface and create great lava fields that caused the Islands to form and mosy to the NW in a long chain.

You use all this fancy jargon after saying that 'plume' doesn't imply convection? Why wouldn't it imply convection when it generally refers to a plume of smoke rising through the air?

Quote:
ItWAS primarily a language difference so please take off your clerical collar nd lecturing me bout stuff I know more about and tlk to colleagues about. The term bulge has several exact meanings and none of which, except one has to do with his thread lead-in .
1. Remember Mt St Helens??? The BULGE was a underlying pressure dome where the volcano (An andesitic type) BLEW UP.
2. A nother BULGE is a landmass that protrudes farther into the sea than the general outline of the landmass. (Brazil 's landmass to the East Atlantic ocean is termed a "bulge"
3. A "tidal Bulge"is a theoretical increase in ocean water level directly in line or opposite the sun or the moon
4.The SOUTH AFRICAN specific term "bulge" is an asymmetrical uplift of the seaward side of a rifted continental mass. This was originally applied in South African Geology. When you use certain scientific jargon and use it incorrectly, most students would say 'ok thanks" "Ill never make that mistake again. You seem to fly off the handle and dont give people the time to explain because youre too busy sniping. Why not just say "thank you, now I know what a bulge is"

I knew what the word, 'bulge' meant when he first used it. I was trying to tell you you didn't have to correct him by saying you didn't know what 'bulge' meant because you wanted him to say, 'ridge' or 'plume' instead. You don't just read posts; you automatically pull up other things you've read and start asserting them over whatever you read in some kind of competition; like if you would see a woman in a dress and immediately start saying that your sister had a similar dress but hers was prettier and start describing it in detail.

Quote:
Most sciences have language terms an jargon that is unique to the science. Look at technology , how its glommed other words from English and adopted it for its own. The latest one Ive heard is the scads of information pulled all into one screen of a laptop or a phone. They call it a DASHBOARD. Took me three weeks to figure out what it meant. (I shoulda asked Leadfoot ).

It's like you can't read someone use the word, 'rain,' without insisting that 'rain' is meaningless and the word, 'precipitation' should be used instead. Why can't you just read what someone else posts and think about the content without asserting terminology territorialism?

Quote:
So stop hollering at people who are merely trying to expand your understanding of a mere word. You have a habit of accusing half the people here of insulting you when perhaps you should be looking at yourself in a mirror.

I'm just trying to get you to be less aggressive and hostile and stop pushing people into submitting to 'science' as some kind of authoritarian hierarchy.

People can just talk about the same topics academic scientists study without immediately citing and honoring the 'royalty' of a given field of study. That is something that gets pushed very hard in academia but it isn't a law of nature. Non-authoritarian scientific discussion is not only possible, it's preferable.

Quote:
I havnt told the OP cause apparently you and I scared him off.

You make every thread into a war to subjugate people to your academic regime of geology.

Quote:
As I started to say, sciences have their own words that are precisely assigned , or they derive from historical use.
We use "Bulge" as a verb or predicate noun many times for many arenas. Its use as a noun is pretty much those 4 Ive given you

There's no 'we' here. There's you, who are talking about what you've read in books and articles written by other people. You may think of yourself as a soldier fighting to assert the collective territory of academic geology over lay people, but you don't have the right to do that. You are just discussing what you know/think with others who are also discussing what they know/think.
farmerman

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2020 07:22 pm
@livinglava,
Well, cant say I didnt try.
livinglava

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2020 07:27 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Well, cant say I didnt try.

You don't try to take your academic pushiness out of discussions and just explain what you know/think.

You spew tangential information like a military parade showcases weapons as a threat that you're going to subjugate people to academic geology if they dare to talk about it.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2020 07:33 pm
Well, I have to go out to the barn and check on the lambing pens . Then I have to give em shots of vitamin B and elastrate some tails. AT lleast there I know what Im doing. Rolling Eyes
farmerman

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2020 10:12 pm
@farmerman,
gotta go out again and give shots , gnight all you readers of the vulcanism vulgate
farmerman

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2020 11:43 pm
@farmerman,
no shots, wrong day, its only wed.Ill just be checking the lamb squeezes and seeing that the newest ones are cleaned up , so to the mom, theyre getting colostrum and are nursing. Did a little trick a few years ago. After I clean off the ewes teats. We made up a bottle of "Strawberry sweetened condensed milk. e add a bit of food coloring and wipe it on the ewes teats while shes eating . The strawberry milk is bright pink(like someA2kers type). Then i come back an check the lambs and shine a little UV light on em . The strawberry food coloring is like a bright purple even in low concentratios. So, That way We know the lamb had nursed.
Got the idea from watching FORENSIC FILES , except I didnt want to use luminol. we played around with liquids that were

food grade
tasty
would fluoresce

They could lick their lips all they want but the "lipstick milk" stays on and fluoresces nicely.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2020 01:37 am
@farmerman,
That sounds brilliant to me. But I'll wait until the A2K scold appears and explains why you are a complete mindless tool, and she is the shining lamp of wisdom that we should all bask in the glow. Well bless her heart.
FreedomEyeLove

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2020 04:05 am
Quote:
8) No personal attacks
No personal attacks on other members. Heated arguments are okay; mudslinging and calling each other names is not. It’s not okay when done in response to attacks on you or others either; please just report and downvote the offending comment instead. (If you feel provoked by offending comments, you can also use the "ignore user" function.) Creating topics specifically to criticize or mock another individual member is definitely not okay. Neither are specific or credible threats to other members.

https://able2know.org/rules/

Hey admins, it's time to actually enforce 'the rules' evenly according to how they are written.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2020 04:29 am
@glitterbag,
whose the scold? I really dont know. Seemsthat everyone gets into it with each other sometimes. Did I post that lamb feeding in the wrong thred ?
CAfrica141

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2020 08:21 am
@livinglava,
Quote from Farmerman: "What the Op stated he calls a bulge is merely the HAwaiian volcanoes that rise above sea level as they pass over the hot spot."

Sorry Farmerman but that is NOT what I am referring to. The "Bulge" that I am talking about is something that exists BELOW the tectonic plate. It pushes the tectonic plate closer to the surface (which makes it shallower in that region). So the tectonic plate slides OVER this bulge in the sea floor, rising up from the East and then dropping lower toward the West again. The hotspot is situated on the high point of this "Bulge".

And no, I have no idea if any of the terms you used are actually applicable to this feature of the Hawaii geology.

C
livinglava

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2020 08:25 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Seemsthat everyone gets into it with each other sometimes.

It is rare that you post without provoking some form of defensiveness/conflict.

You seem to live to pick fights and then keep them going. I used to check the global warming thread every once in a while to see if something was going on besides an endless back-and-forth between you and some other poster.

You basically always pepper whatever substance you write in your post with some ridicule, insult, and authoritarian posturing where you push people into accepting academic hierarchy, submitting to terminology, and otherwise kneeling in submission in order to acknowledge that they are less than professional academicians.

You would be a really valuable resource if you would just be a facilitator instead of being combative with your knowledge.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2020 10:30 am
@CAfrica141,
yes, as I quoted Wilson. Its called a plume (Its not structural its actually a change in viscosity due to temperature rise and density changes due to the chemistry of the basic magma that results from a point in the outer core.
Those 4 definitions of bulge contains one which is uniquely south african.
0 Replies