Should mountaintops be developed?

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2018 11:19 am
It seems that some people have protested plans to build a giant telescope atop a Hawaiian mountain and the court has rejected their protest.
https://www.foxnews.com/science/hawaii-supreme-court-upholds-permit-for-controversial-giant-telescope

Personally, I find that it ruins mountains to develop them and add roads and motorized traffic. Why should mountains be protected and preserved as natural sanctuaries free of development and motorized traffic?

Aren't there enough (space) telescopes that building more on top of mountains is really just an attraction to lure tourism?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 167 • Replies: 2
No top replies

seac

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2018 06:14 pm
@livinglava,
It is my understanding that the telescope is a specific use structure. It may have living quarters for the people using it, but not for tourists. In the name of science and benefit for humanity, I am all for it. We need such telescopes to detect asteroids that may come in our direction.
livinglava

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2018 06:41 pm
@seac,
seac wrote:

It is my understanding that the telescope is a specific use structure. It may have living quarters for the people using it, but not for tourists. In the name of science and benefit for humanity, I am all for it. We need such telescopes to detect asteroids that may come in our direction.

Even so, you're taking a mountain with traditional significance to people in its natural state and building a big building on top of it.

Detecting threatening meteors is just an excuse. The telescope will be rented to wealthy tourists. They will not come in droves, because it will be an expensive, elite experience to visit and/or stay in the telescope, but it will exclude people from hiking up it and using it in the traditional, undeveloped state.
0 Replies