I need a new hobby

Tue 25 Feb, 2020 10:06 am
Last night, I became super irritated that all I was doing was looking at my computer screen. There are so many things to do on it and I wanted to have nothing to do with any of them.
I got up from my desk and realized I didn't really have anything else to do... I stopped watching TV a couple years ago, I don't enjoy reading because of glasses, and I didn't really have anything else to do.
Thus, I need a new hobby.

- I am not very mobile, I am not in terrible shape, just bad arthritis in my hips. I have a hard time bending over and gravity and I haven't had good words in years.
- I need reading glasses.
- I don't fish.

So, what is it that you folks do in your spare time? I need ideas.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 15 • Views: 1,825 • Replies: 30
Topic Closed

edgarblythe

Tue 25 Feb, 2020 10:28 am
bonsai trees

popcycle stick sculptures

smoke marijuana

cooking

puzzles
0 Replies

jespah

Tue 25 Feb, 2020 10:45 am
@McGentrix,
I write. You're an articulate guy. Ever think of writing fiction?
0 Replies

hightor

Tue 25 Feb, 2020 10:50 am
I've got musical instruments to keep me busy. Ever think of taking piano lessons? Electronic keyboards make it possible to practice with headphones and you don't need to dedicate a whole room to a piano.
0 Replies

Glennn

Tue 25 Feb, 2020 11:03 am
@McGentrix,
Chess.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Tue 25 Feb, 2020 11:25 am
I have killed a Bonsai Tree, I think I overwatered it.
popcycle sticks... I did that in Cub Scouts I believe.
I have taken up smoking marijuana in small bits here and there. Mostly for pain relief and help sleeping.
Cooking... While I enjoy cooking, I do not believe it would replace the time I spend on the computer.
puzzles. So far, this has actual interest. I like this idea.
I think writing would would be too close to computer time. I have interesting ideas for topics but they never seem to coalesce into anything substantial.
I play guitar, but all three just mock me from their stands daring me to try to play again.
Chess - I played a lot of chess in high school which culminated in my eventual victory over my mentor.

So far, puzzles is the leading replacement.
edgarblythe

Tue 25 Feb, 2020 11:31 am
@McGentrix,
That's a puzzling reply.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Tue 25 Feb, 2020 11:32 am
@McGentrix,

never tried 'em myself, but lots of people seem to enjoy audio books...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Tue 25 Feb, 2020 11:32 am
Somebody was bound to say it.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Tue 25 Feb, 2020 11:37 am
Brewing wine and beer is quite easy, especially wine. You don't need much equipment to start off with and you can have fun with strange recipes.

Dandelion wine is very good.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Tue 25 Feb, 2020 11:39 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

Chess - I played a lot of chess in high school which culminated in my eventual victory over my mentor.

My mate plays a lot of chess on redhotpawn.com
0 Replies

engineer

Tue 25 Feb, 2020 12:20 pm
@McGentrix,
- There are a number of phone games that are fun and require significant strategy. Empires and Puzzles comes to mind.
- If you don't like reading with glasses but enjoy reading in general, get a tablet and raise the font size to your comfort level.
- As someone else mentioned, there are online chess and card game forums where you play people from around the world.
- Now would be the time to get back into TV. The content online is more varied than ever. Start with a series like GLOW (available on Netflix) or The Mandalorian (Disney). Entire seasons of cutting edge series are available and reviews are online to help you find ones worth your time.
- There has been a proliferation of puzzles, especially from Japan. Try KenKen or Nonagrams if you want something different than crosswords or Sudoku.
0 Replies

Linkat

Tue 25 Feb, 2020 01:11 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

puzzles. So far, this has actual interest. I like this idea.

So far, puzzles is the leading replacement.

And you could do all sorts of puzzles - the traditional jigsaw puzzle. And within that there are all sorts - as complicated as you want.

Also - you have word puzzles, number puzzles - you can do on paper or on the computer (seems you want to get away from that) - the good thing about puzzles is that there is such a variety that you can go from one to a different type once you get bored of it.

Another thing on the lines of puzzles - solitaire - there is a variety of solitaire games - if you have others you can play a variety of card games - you can even go to your local target or walmart and try a new board game or card game.

Do you like art at all - sketch, even color - there are adult coloring books - not saying naked (although I bet there are some) coloring books but ones that are geared toward adults.
Linkat

Tue 25 Feb, 2020 01:13 pm
@Linkat,
And if those don't work you could always raise "sea monkeys"

https://www.sciplus.com/productImages/Regular/SE001.jpg
0 Replies

izzythepush

Tue 25 Feb, 2020 01:56 pm
You could see a lot more top comedy. Bet you've not seen this.

0 Replies

Sturgis

Tue 25 Feb, 2020 03:27 pm
Crossword puzzles.
Philately (stamping. stamp collecting)
Start a blog where you give your opinions
0 Replies

Miss L Toad

Tue 25 Feb, 2020 06:06 pm
@McGentrix,
Your profile mentions "floundering in a pit of dispair" (sic).

Perhaps an online course in the humanities might severally serve some sense.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Tue 25 Feb, 2020 06:08 pm
Body painting
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Tue 25 Feb, 2020 06:37 pm
Oh. And belly dancing.
0 Replies

oliviaturner

Thu 27 Feb, 2020 11:28 pm
@McGentrix,
audiobooks is really good to kill some time and in addition, you will learn a lot.