A2K Fantasy Baseball 2020

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2020 06:58 pm
@lmur,
lmur wrote:
Any tips gratefully received!

Here you go. I typed them up last year for eurocelticyankee:

[original A2K link: https://able2know.org/topic/372153-4#post-6813897 ... at the bottom of the page]

ROSTER MOVES:
Our league allows for daily roster moves ... that means you can have one lineup for one day, then change to the next day (or any future day you want), and change your lineup. You may want to do this (for example) if one of your OF (outfield) players is not playing in an upcoming day (say on Thursday, for example), and you want to swap one of your BN (bench) players into the OF slot for that day. Then you can click to the next day (Friday) and swap them back around, if you want. You can go through each day of the upcoming week and set your lineup of Hitters and Pitchers. You can see which SP's (starting pitcher) are scheduled to start on a particular day (you can tell this because there will be a green checkmark in the column that shows there opponent for that day), and make sure you have that SP in your starting lineup that day (i.e., not on your BN).

You can move a player on your roster to any slot where they have "position eligibility." For example, if one of your players has "OF" after their name (and ONLY "OF," that means they are an Outfielder, and can only be slotted into the OF slot -- or into the "Util" slot. Any hitter can be put into the Util slot, regardless of their position eligibility. Some players have multiple position eligibility. For example, Whit Merrifield on my team has the following eligibilty: 1B,2B,OF. That means I can slot him into the roster at 1B (first base), 2B (second base), OF (outfield), or Util (utility).

Pitchers have either SP (starting pitcher) or RP (relief pitcher) after their name. Only RP pitchers can be put into the RP slots, and only SP pitchers can be put into the SP slots, and any pitcher (whether SP or RP) can be put into the P slot.

I usually set my roster a week ahead of time, for the upcoming week. If someone gets hurt and maybe isn't playing for a day or two, you can always go in and change your lineup at any time.

Shortly before a real life game is about to start (a few hours?) there will be an indication as to whether a hitter is scheduled to start that day for his real life MLB team.

ROSTER CHANGES:
During the season, you are able to peruse the list of available players (click on the "Players" tab), and find a FA (free agent) you might want to pickup for your team. Maybe one of your players sucks and you want someone who's playing better. When you do, you usually have to drop an existing player from your roster. When you pick up a player, the transaction is always recorded the NEXT day, not the day you picked them up.

If a player is hurt and on the MLB (major league baseball) DL (disabled list), you can move them to your team's fantasy DL. When you do, that opens up a free spot on your roster, and you can pick up a FA. (Again, that transaction would be effective the following day.)

If a player is dropped by one of the other fantasy teams during the season, they are put on Waivers (shown as a "W"), and will sit on the "waiver wire" for a couple of days. (All undrafted players are currently on the waiver wire until Tuesday.) Players on the waiver wire can be picked up following the "waiver priority" rules. If you click on the "League" tab, and look at the "Standings" section, you will see each teams waiver position represented by a number. Currently, TOUCHDOWN! has first priority, so he gets the first pick off waivers, I have "4" so I have fourth priority, etc.

Did that help? It won't take long until you get the hang of it.

[AND, EXPLAINING THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A "HOLD" AND A "SAVE" ...]

To earn a "Save," a RP must come into the game with his MLB ahead in the score, but by no more than 3 runs, and they must pitch a full inning. Or a RP can get a save if they come into the game with the tying run on base, up at bat, or on-deck (next to hit). The RP who gets the most saves for his MLB team is called the "closer."

A "Hold" is given to a RP who enters a game in a "Save" situation, but they don't earn a Save, and instead they leave the game an another RP comes in ("closer") and gets the save. These types of RP's are called a "set-up man." They often enter in the 7th or 8th innings, and the "closer" comes in for the 9th inning. They help with the Hold category in fantasy baseball, and usually with WHIP, ERA, and K (strikeouts).
lmur

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2020 12:26 am
@Ticomaya,
Terrific. That does help. Good to see you posting again.

eurocelticyankee

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2020 05:08 am
@lmur,
I had a look at your team from yesterday.

To do so place cursor on the date and the choose yesterday or press the rev arrow.

So now you're looking at your teams performance from yesterday and as you can see you had 4 players not playing, 5 actually as 1 match was postponed.
Red dot means they're not in the starting line up. PPD match postponed.

What you could have done, you have players on the bench (BN) and you could have used them to replace the non starters.
You must exchange like for like.
You could have subbed Kepler for Springer and Gregorius for Benintendi.

The players are;

C = Catcher.
1B = First base.
2B = Second base.
3B = Third base.
SS = Short Stop.
OF = Offence.
Util = Utility.

You can put any player into Utility, the rest must be like for like.

IL means they're injured and wont be playing.
DTD means they're Day to Day means have a not so serious injury and they might play.

Pressing the cursor on the coloured square next to the player can give you an update on the player and his previous performances.

There's a box for players on IL that you can place them into giving you the chance to get a extra player till the injured player returns from injury.

IE, for Springer just press the OF box next to him and you will see a IL spot open up under the BN boxes.
Put him in it and then you're allowed draft in another player.

To get an overview on the league go to the top banner, put the cursor on league and then press view.
On the same banner you have My Team, put cursor on and press Roster.
You also press Match Ups, that will give you that weeks game stats.
Then you have Players, cursor that and press Players List and that will lead you to available players to draft in.
To the right of the players is their record so far. Up to you to pick who you like.

In the players list there's batters, pitchers and probable pitchers.
Probable pitchers are likely to play the next day.

Hope that helps, if you unsure of anything else just ask.
But to be honest about I was just winging it for a while, still am.

lmur

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2020 06:48 am
@eurocelticyankee,
I recall seeing a cartoon which showed a golfer practising his swing while his coach looked on. The coach says: 'Lovely action. Now let's try it with a ball.'

Thanks euro-c-y. Those instructions could not be clearer. I look forward to implementing them after work later tonight and see if I can at least stay ahead of Tico.

eurocelticyankee

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2020 08:54 am
@lmur,
Quote:
see if I can at least stay ahead of Tico.

You have your work cut out for you there, Tico's an old hand at this.

Right what else can i tell you.

In the beginning.......

When you're on the league overview, ( you can press any player avatar to see their team ) first off you have the weeks matches and scores, then the league standings and below that is the record of who's adding or dropping players.
Good to keep an eye on, the odd bargain pops up.

When you're on the Match Up, it's very handy to keep score, it's actually live updates.
It shows how you're scoring team wise and who's batting and pitching live.

Lastly when you're on your team page you can press the match time beside each player (under status) and it'll open a page with the match stats live.

Well now I'm sure I've well and truly scrambled your brain. My work is done.
lmur

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2020 03:15 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
Hmmm, maybe the '+' sign adds a player. JFC! Made some changes, appear to have left myself with an empty slot at 2nd b (base?) which I thought I'd filled but appear to have created a 'waiver claim' instead. Forty minutes is enough for one night. Will tackle again tomorrow.

Thanks to Tico and Euro for the help - really appreciated.
Ticomaya

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2020 09:20 am
@eurocelticyankee,
eurocelticyankee wrote:
The players are; ...

OF = Offence.

"OF" actually means "Outfielder."
Ticomaya

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2020 09:36 am
@lmur,
lmur wrote:
Hmmm, maybe the '+' sign adds a player. JFC! Made some changes, appear to have left myself with an empty slot at 2nd b (base?) which I thought I'd filled but appear to have created a 'waiver claim' instead. Forty minutes is enough for one night. Will tackle again tomorrow.

Thanks to Tico and Euro for the help - really appreciated.

I hesitate to give you too much help this week, since we are matched up against one another, but here I go ...

"IL" next to half your roster means half your roster is not eligible to play because they are on the "Injury List." How long they will be on the shelf depends. "DTD" means "day to day," so that player is likely to play very soon, and might not miss time at all. Because your entire bench is IL and one DTD, you have nobody to slot into the open positions, like 2B (second base).

In your transactions yesterday, you picked up Kyle Seager (third baseman) and Will Smith (catcher). You did not put anyone on waivers. If you try to pickup a player who is on "waivers" (i.e., not a FA -- free agent), you will put in a waiver claim, and may get the player depending on your waiver claim position, and whether another team with better claim position also claims that player. If a player is dropped from another team, they are put on "waivers," and cannot be immediately picked up until they clear the two day waiver period, and are picked up by a team that puts in a claim and has best claim position. Only Gourmet Grizzlies has better claim position (1) than you do (2), so you will get that player unless the Grizzlies also put in a claim. If you do claim that player, your claim position will change to 8 (last).

You only have one player on your roster with 2B eligibility -- Gleyber Torres, and he's on IL and not playing. In contrast, you have three players eligible to play 3B. So until you pick up another 2B player, you will not be able to fill the 2B position on your active roster.

Yesterday, you had Salvador Perez (C) who is a catcher, using up one of your Util (utility) positions, and Didi Gregorius just cooling his heels on your bench, while your Catcher position sat empty. You could have moved Perez to the C position, and put Gregorius in the Util position, in order to fill out more active roster slots. (Note: Since Perez is on the IL, he gave you no stats either way.)
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2020 09:57 am
@lmur,
When looking at the Player List for players to add, check the "Roster Status"
column. If it says "FA" (Free Agent), you can add that player. He will show
up on your team's roster the next day. On the other hand, if it says "W"
followed by a date in parenthesis, he is on waivers and picking him
places a waiver claim. That means that of all those who place a waiver
claim, the one with the lowest status gets that player on the specified date.
Your waiver status is listed in the Standings Table on the league page. Right
now you are 2. So you will get that player unless Rhys (who is 1) claims him.

Confused? It'll get better.

Meanwhile, anyone up for Fantasy Premier League?
eurocelticyankee

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2020 12:06 pm
@Ticomaya,
Quote:
"OF" actually means "Outfielder."

Cheers Tico.

I'd be the one in the crowd at a baseball game that shouts ''Goal''.

And I'm trying to teach Imur.

lmur

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2020 01:46 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
To Euro, Tico and George - thank you all.

My aim is to have a fully functioning 'batters' team Looks like pitchers look after themselves.

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2020 06:47 am
@George,
George wrote:

Yes!
Ticomaya

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2020 06:51 am
@lmur,
lmur wrote:
My aim is to have a fully functioning 'batters' team Looks like pitchers look after themselves.

As the manager, you do need to look at the upcoming roster (I do it a week ahead) and make sure you have your pitchers in the starting lineup on days they pitch (assuming you want them to pitch in that game for your team).

For example, Mike Minor is on your bench right now, and he's scheduled to pitch later today against the Dodgers.
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2020 07:18 am
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:
George wrote:
Yes!

Go to the Fantasy Premier League site and build your team.
Euroceltic and I have rejoined the A2K league. He's posted the code to join
on his Fantasy Premier League thread.

Hopefully we can garner some more managers.
I'm looking at YOU, lmur.
lmur

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2020 07:18 am
@George,
Yes sir!
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2020 02:25 pm
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Rhys is setting up Fantasy (pointy-end)
Football. Same league name as last year. Draft is Tuesday, Sept. 9,
8 0'clock Eastern. Yeah, I know last minute. It's been a weird year.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2020 12:11 pm
And Gargamel does it again!
Congrats.

Thanks to Rhys and George for a very nice tournament.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2020 02:39 pm
Congrats to Garg! And thanks to Rhys!
0 Replies