Have you planned yuor journey?

Who are yuo looking forward to seeing?
What is Live 8?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 05:00 pm
http://www.live8live.com/whatsitabout/index.shtml

Quote:
These concerts are the start point for The Long Walk To Justice, the one way we can all make our voices heard in unison.

This is without doubt a moment in history where ordinary people can grasp the chance to achieve something truly monumental and demand from the 8 world leaders at G8 an end to poverty.

The G8 leaders have it within their power to alter history. They will only have the will to do so if tens of thousands of people show them that enough is enough.

By doubling aid, fully cancelling debt, and delivering trade justice for Africa, the G8 could change the future for millions of men, women and children."
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 05:02 pm
The Canadian concert will have

Quote:
Concert time 11am-8pm (BST)

Presenters: Dan Aykroyd and Tom Green

Artists performing include:

* African Guitar Summit
* Barenaked Ladies
* Blue Rodeo
* Bruce Cockburn
* Bryan Adams
* The Bachman Cummings Band
* Deep Purple
* DobaCaracol featuring Kna'an
* Gordon Lightfoot
* Great Big Sea
* Jann Arden
* Jet
* Les Trois Accords
* Motley Crue
* Our Lady Peace
* Sam Roberts
* Simple Plan
* Tegan & Sara
* The Tragically Hip
* Tom Cochrane

The local organizers are catching a lot of flack for having primarily mainstream, older performers.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 05:09 pm
Deep Purple aren't older, they're ancient. But still, who wouldn't want to hear "Smoke on the Water" again?
0 Replies

ConstitutionalGirl

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 05:37 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
Deep Purple aren't older, they're ancient. But still, who wouldn't want to hear "Smoke on the Water" again?
Do they actually put smoke on the water?
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 05:41 pm
I think they are fooling themselves if they think that cancelling this debt and raising the aid level will improve the lot of the average African one bit... read:

Let Africa Sink
By: Mr. Kim Du Toit

Kim du Toit was born and raised in Johannesburg, South Africa. Kim emigrated to the United States in 1986.

A graduate of St. John's College, he next began a Philosophy degree, but soon abandoned the idea--attending university didn't help him towards his goal of becoming educated.

Kim is the living embodiment of contradictions:
*a White African-American with a girl's first name and a French last name;
*values the sanctity of marriage, but is married to his third wife;
*attended a religious boarding school, but is an atheist;
*trained chorister, but played bass guitar in a rock band;
*conservative gun nut and hunter, but also an animal-lover whose pets are spoiled rotten;
*and finally, a most politically-incorrect story teller who also experienced a brief stint in a South African jail for protesting against apartheid.
0 Replies

ConstitutionalGirl

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 06:23 pm
Fedral wrote:
I think they are fooling themselves if they think that cancelling this debt and raising the aid level will improve the lot of the average African one bit... read:

Let Africa Sink

Kim du Toit was born and raised in Johannesburg, South Africa. Kim emigrated to the United States in 1986.

A graduate of St. John's College, he next began a Philosophy degree, but soon abandoned the idea--attending university didn't help him towards his goal of becoming educated.

*conservative gun nut and hunter, but also an animal-lover whose pets are spoiled rotten;
*and finally, a most politically-incorrect story teller who also experienced a brief stint in a South African jail for protesting against apartheid.

"I totally agree!" All the money only goes to greedy, power hungers wallets.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 02:19 am
If they were left as they were back in '84 wouldnt the situation be much worse.

Things like Live 8 get the public behind officials making good decisions to change the future.
There was a report this morning saying the money isnt the issue its just that the country is badly governed.
Africans have recieved billions of pounds since the '60's, £5,000 per person.But it seems nothing has changed.
The need to cancel debt, find aid and get fair trade

Im confused, tho as I thought the millions that have been raised over the years have helped to provide clean water and help them grow their own food.MAybe its just not been enough.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 04:11 am
Fedral wrote:

Let Africa Sink

Just goes to show......you can take an Afrikaan out of South Africa, but you'll rarely take the Afrikaan out of an Afrikaan.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 07:07 am
I heard on the radio a couple of days that Mariah Carey was concerned about the fact she had gained weight and couldn't fit into her red dress. Ironically she announced she is going on a diet to fit into her dress. Does she even know what the benefit is about?
0 Replies

ConstitutionalGirl

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 05:43 pm
Live 8 is going to be on ABC tonight, the US East is airing it at 8PM.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 05:58 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:

Just goes to show......you can take an Afrikaan out of South Africa, but you'll rarely take the Afrikaan out of an Afrikaan.

I was trying to come up with a witticism about your post not holding my interest, but have fallen short.
I guess it's time for a nap.
sigh...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 06:11 pm
Watched/listened to bits of it live this afternoon as I did things around the house and around town.

<why oh why oh why Celine Dion Confused >

Loved hearing Gordon Lightfoot perform live again. Coulda done without the Dan Ackroyd rant - he just seems like someone's dad hollering now - weird, since he's my generation.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 08:55 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Loved hearing Gordon Lightfoot perform live again.

How is his health these days? Still tenuous? The last pics I saw of him last year, he looked really ill.

I remember my wife and I seeing him a million years ago in Vancouver's Queen Elizabeth Theatre. Was very enjoyable.
0 Replies