Supreme Court releases rulings on 10 Commandment Cases

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 09:01 am
No Rehnquist announcement; Ten Commandments splitents displays

The Supreme Court recessed for the summer Monday morning, with no announcement from Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist of his plans to retire or to remain on the Court. The day's session after the announcement of six final rulings.

Splitting 5-4 in the first of two rulings on government displays of the Ten Commandments, the Supreme Court on Monday upheld a federal court order against a display of the religious document on the wall of a courthouses in two Kentucky counties.

The Court, in an opinion by Justice David H. Souter, said the ruling does not mean that a sacred text can never be integrated into a governmental display on law and history. It found, however, that the displays in Kentucky were motivated by a religious purpose, which did not change as the display was modified twice during court challenges.

Justice Antonin Scalia announced portions of his dissenting opinion.

Chief Justice Rehnquist announced the second decision on a religious display, finding no constitutional violation in the placement of a Ten Commandments monument on the grounds of the state capitol building in Austin, Texas. That decision was widely splintered. Announcing the votes of the various Justices, Rehnquist quipped -- to widespread laughter -- that he did not know there were so many Justices on the Court.

In a 6-3 ruling, the Court decided that cable operators offering high-speed Internet access have no legal duty to open their service to customers of all Internet service providers.

In the cable case, the Court upheld the decision of the Federal Communications Commission that broadband cable moden companires arfe exempt from mandatory common-carfrier regulation. That, Thomas wrote, is a lawful interpretation of the Communications Act, and thus is due deference.

In a 7-2 decision, the Court ruled that local governments have no constitutional duty to protect from private violenced an individual who is shielded by a court's restraining order. Such individuals do not gain an enforceable interest in that protection, the Court declared in an opinion by Justice Scalia.

The Court ruled 5-4 that the Sixth Circuit abused its discretion in withdrawing an opinion in a habeas case months after the ruling should have been made final by issuance of a mandate. The Court said it was resolving only the particular case, and was not deciding the scope of an appeals court's authority to withold a mandate in order to resolve a case. Justice Anthony M. Kennedy spoke for the majority.

SOURCE
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,305 • Replies: 26
No top replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 09:08 am
And...????

Once again, this is information we have already read about.

How do you feel about this decision???
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 09:10 am
Lol, as this info was released about ten minutes ago, I highly doubt you have read about it already.

Thanks for the roundup Justan

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 09:12 am
Cyclo - I'm pluged in directly.

Well....how do you feel about this decision?
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 09:15 am
"Court Limits Ten Commandments Displays

Email this Story

Jun 27, 11:01 AM (ET)

By HOPE YEN

(AP) Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott speaks near a granite slab bearing the Ten Commandments on the...
Full Image

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Supreme Court, struggling with a vexing social issue, held Monday it was constitutionally permissible to display the Ten Commandments on the grounds of the Texas capitol but that it was a violation of separation of church and state to place them in Kentucky courthouses."

So let's get this straight. It's not OK in Kentucky but OK in Texas???
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 09:23 am
More details on the Ten Commandments cases: Yahoo News

It struck me that :

Quote:
Two Kentucky counties originally hung the copies of the Ten Commandments in their courthouses. After the ACLU filed suit, the counties modified their displays to add other documents demonstrating "America's Christian heritage," including the national motto of "In God We Trust" and a version of the Congressional Record declaring 1983 the "Year of the Bible."

Umm, I don't believe Moses was a Christian. Actually, I'm quite sure of it.
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 09:25 am
Ok man...

The only way you could have known about this already is if you were psychic. This is breaking news.

Next, if I want to share my opinion, I will. Until then, get off my jock.

Lastly, it is not "OK in Texas but not OK in Kentucky." These cases are very fact specific. The facts were different in both, so the decisions were different in both.

and please stop defecating in threads.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 09:49 am
its defecating not deficating, get your **** straight
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 10:05 am
Now that was funny.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 10:43 am
JustanObserver wrote:
Ok man...

The only way you could have known about this already is if you were psychic. This is breaking news.

Lastly, it is not "OK in Texas but not OK in Kentucky." These cases are very fact specific. The facts were different in both, so the decisions were different in both.

No, not psychic, little one...just plugged in.

Seems your more interested in posting articles and have no opinions. Maybe you should be working for Drudge since you have nothing else to offer.
0 Replies

ConstitutionalGirl

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 10:43 am
I thought the ruling and the case was ridiculious. They should have the right to bear the Ten Conmandments, without going to court. However, I do dissagree with them adding that extra stuff to it.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 10:56 am
Quote:
ACLU Applauds Supreme Court Ruling in Kentucky Ten Commandments Case

June 27, 2005

High Court Upholds Religious Liberty

WASHINGTON -- The American Civil Liberties Union today applauded a Supreme Court ruling that Ten Commandments displays in two Kentucky courthouses are unconstitutional. The ruling came in a case brought by the ACLU of Kentucky.

The following can be attributed to Steven R. Shapiro, Legal Director of the ACLU.

"We are gratified with the Supreme Court's decision, which properly recognizes that the Ten Commandments are an inherently religious text."

"Today's ruling is consistent with what the Court has ruled before. Our Constitution's ban on government entanglement with religion is good for both government and religion. It keeps religion free, and it allows government to represent us all."

"Ultimately, we show more respect for the Ten Commandments when we do not deny their inherently religious message."

In a second decision today, the Court upheld a stone monument display of the Ten Commandments on the Texas statehouse grounds. However, no opinion commanded a majority of the Court. The critical fifth vote was provided by Justice Breyer, who acknowledged the religious message of the Ten Commandments but concluded that message was offset in Texas by the fact that the monument has stood on the statehouse grounds for 40 years.

"While we disagree with that conclusion," Shapiro added, "a majority of the Supreme Court in both cases has now clearly reaffirmed the principle that government may not promote a religious message through its display of the Ten Commandments."
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 10:58 am
squinney wrote:
More details on the Ten Commandments cases: Yahoo News

It struck me that :

Quote:
Two Kentucky counties originally hung the copies of the Ten Commandments in their courthouses. After the ACLU filed suit, the counties modified their displays to add other documents demonstrating "America's Christian heritage," including the national motto of "In God We Trust" and a version of the Congressional Record declaring 1983 the "Year of the Bible."

Umm, I don't believe Moses was a Christian. Actually, I'm quite sure of it.

Well Squinney that is a mtter of faith (Isn't everything?). When Jesus stated in the New Testament that 'Before Abraham - I am.' this turned this seemingly obvious quotation of yours on it's ear.

The Christians have then made Dogma that this statement by Jesus is proof that Jesus existed before Abrahams pact with El Shadai (God) and is proof that Abraham was a Christian. The Jews were simply mistaken.

I am not saying I believe in this - just trying to add a log to the fire.

TTF
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 11:00 am
woiyo wrote:
JustanObserver wrote:
Ok man...

No, not psychic, little one...just plugged in.

Seems your more interested in posting articles and have no opinions. Maybe you should be working for Drudge since you have nothing else to offer.

The last of the internet tough guys.

Come on man - you know you would cork it in public or to a persons face. Let your keyboard be your mouth.

TF
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 11:03 am
ConstitutionalGirl wrote:
I thought the ruling and the case was ridiculious. They should have the right to bear the Ten Conmandments, without going to court. However, I do dissagree with them adding that extra stuff to it.

What is your basis for this belief?

It seems fairly clear to me, that a seeming lack of equality of religions in a courthouse is a bt unsettling to say the least.

Are you one of the 'Our laws were built on the ten commandments' crowd that likes to imagine away Jeffersons deism? (I am completely talking out my neck here because have no clue what you are basing your opinion on).

Fill us in.

TF
0 Replies

ConstitutionalGirl

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 11:04 am
blatham wrote:
Quote:
ACLU Applauds Supreme Court Ruling in Kentucky Ten Commandments Case

June 27, 2005

High Court Upholds Religious Liberty

WASHINGTON -- The American Civil Liberties Union today applauded a Supreme Court ruling that Ten Commandments displays in two Kentucky courthouses are unconstitutional. The ruling came in a case brought by the ACLU of Kentucky.

The following can be attributed to Steven R. Shapiro, Legal Director of the ACLU.

"We are gratified with the Supreme Court's decision, which properly recognizes that the Ten Commandments are an inherently religious text."

"Today's ruling is consistent with what the Court has ruled before. Our Constitution's ban on government entanglement with religion is good for both government and religion. It keeps religion free, and it allows government to represent us all."

"Ultimately, we show more respect for the Ten Commandments when we do not deny their inherently religious message."

In a second decision today, the Court upheld a stone monument display of the Ten Commandments on the Texas statehouse grounds. However, no opinion commanded a majority of the Court. The critical fifth vote was provided by Justice Breyer, who acknowledged the religious message of the Ten Commandments but concluded that message was offset in Texas by the fact that the monument has stood on the statehouse grounds for 40 years.

"While we disagree with that conclusion," Shapiro added, "a majority of the Supreme Court in both cases has now clearly reaffirmed the principle that government may not promote a religious message through its display of the Ten Commandments."

Of coarse they would applause, that's their abnormal nature.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 11:05 am
CG, coarse means having a rough nature or texture . . . the word you want is course. I'm not trying to be mean, but you make that mistake frequently, and i thought it might be time to point it out to you . . .
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 11:06 am
Quote:

Laughing Surprised

You are absolutely, ridiculously unqualified to talk about this subject....

Cheers, lol

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ConstitutionalGirl

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 11:11 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:

Laughing Surprised

You are absolutely, ridiculously unqualified to talk about this subject....

Cheers, lol

Cycloptichorn

Think before you post, you don't want to embarras yourself.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 11:17 am
I'd like to see more monuments featuring the Four Noble Truths, myself. They are far more satisfying...
0 Replies