acid reflux

Thu 16 Jan, 2020 03:19 pm
Does anyone know of any natural ways to help with acid reflux?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 2,144 • Replies: 17
Topic Closed
No top replies

Linkat

Thu 16 Jan, 2020 03:28 pm
@daniaugustine,
Visit a nutritionist - they will guide you on food triggers and eating habits to control this.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Thu 16 Jan, 2020 03:39 pm
Try baking soda. I disolve half a spoon in a cup of water and take large sips for a few minutes until it's gone. Most of the time I don't have to finish it.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Thu 16 Jan, 2020 04:23 pm
@daniaugustine,
daniaugustine wrote:

Stop eating foods that cause acid reflux.
InfraBlue

Thu 16 Jan, 2020 05:56 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

daniaugustine wrote:

Stop eating foods that cause acid reflux.

For me, drinking water causes acid reflux.
McGentrix

Thu 16 Jan, 2020 07:09 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

Slow down and don't drink as much. Switch to milk.
farmerman

Thu 16 Jan, 2020 07:31 pm
@daniaugustine,
one way is to never recline shortly after eting. This can cause GERD and GERD can , down the road, cause esophogeal cancer.

Also, a tsp of f=of cider vinegar before dinner helps in the GERD as well as stabilizing your A1-C level.
You look em up that way you can learn more whil not being pummeled with those of us who believe that our grandmothers were usually right about our diet
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Thu 16 Jan, 2020 07:59 pm
My wife had acid reflux the other night. She calmed it with a teaspoon of baking soda in lukewarm water, 8 oz. I fixed our bed so that her body is on enough incline to keep her head a little high.
maxdancona

Thu 16 Jan, 2020 08:23 pm
@edgarblythe,
I incline my bed too. My head is about 5 inches above my feet. It makes a difference.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Fri 17 Jan, 2020 02:56 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:

Slow down and don't drink as much. Switch to milk.

Milk used to sooth heartburn, but now it's a cause as well.
0 Replies

chai2

Fri 17 Jan, 2020 06:35 pm
For me cutting out all products made with grain did the trick.

I followed a Keto diet for over 2 years and felt amazing. Because of life problems I fell away from it and suffered for it. Now I’m back on track and immediately felt better.

From my research on the subject I’ve learned carbs aren’t essential. Plus we weren’t evolved to eat them.

Fat, moderate protein and very low carb means eggs, cheese, oils, butter, cream, meat, poultry, fish, vegetables that grow above the ground and fruits like avocado, olives, coconut and some tomato. Oh and nuts like macadamian, Brazil, almonds, pecans.

Eating this way not only eliminated GERD, but lowered triglycerides, regulated blood sugar, raised HDL’s and lowered LDL’s

70% of calories from fat, 20% from protein, 10% or less from the carbs in veg.

farmerman

Fri 17 Jan, 2020 06:54 pm
@chai2,
I love lasagna and found they make the bigass noodles with a lentil flour. Also, theres a lentil based penne and rigatoni.

My cider vinegar , before evening mel (If I eat one). Its don a srvice in my A1C

Im aa student of "If you int hungry for breakfast, dont eat one.
chai2

Fri 17 Jan, 2020 07:31 pm
@farmerman,
Sorry, no lentils.

And yes, no need to eat any meal if you're not hungry.

We were fed a pack of lies about the importance of "3 meals a day", eating multiple mini meals, etc.

Breakfast is whatever first meal you eat during the day, whether it's at 9am or 2 in the afternoon.

More or less I settle into eating 2 meals a day (just like my grandmother did all her life) and maybe in the evening a glass of unsweetened coconut milk with some cream mixed in, with some monkfruit sweetner and vanilla extract. Or strawberry extract.

See, that's the problem. Keto is a fad right now, and food manufacturers have jumped on the band wagon.
Basically they are taking an extremely simple way of eating and over complicating it.
While the biochemistry behind it is facinating, the actual living it day to day is stupidly simple.

I do well on 25 to 28 net carbs a day, which is total grams of carbs minus grams of fiber.

Typical first meal is 3 eggs, bacon or sausage, butter, cheese, avocado, tomato, mushroom, a little onion

Later, steak, fish, poultry, sausage, whatever strikes my fancy, and some more veg.

Snack if I want can be salami, olives and cheese.

Or, nachos made with pork rinds, cheese, sour cream and salsa.

No GERD.
0 Replies

Jewels Vern

Sat 18 Jan, 2020 10:45 pm
@daniaugustine,
Well don't take baking soda fagodsake!

Acid reflux is caused when the stomach moves through the hiatus membrane. Just breathing pumps stomach contents into the esophagus. Baking soda causes acid bubbles and pressure so the esophagus gets burned.

What you have there is a hernia and it is usually caused by a B vitamin deficiency. It is cheap and safe to test: get a bottle of B-100 and see if it helps.

For the worry warts: This is not medical advice. There is no law against telling somebody how to improve their nutrition.
roger

Sat 18 Jan, 2020 10:50 pm
@Jewels Vern,
I don't think sharing experiences is quite like medical advice
0 Replies

maxdancona

Sun 19 Jan, 2020 10:53 am
I have actually gone to talk to medical professionals for this condition. I am not a doctor, and my only real advice is to talk to a doctor. I can tell you what my doctors have suggested for me (one of whom practices holistic medicine, i.e. a combination of "natural treatments" and modern medicine).

1. I have been diagnosed with Barrett's esophagus. This is a pre-cancerous condition. Acid reflux can kill you if you don't take it seriously.

2. The doctors (including the holistic medicine) suggest modern medicine (in my case PPI) to lower my stomach acid. Of course my case is likely different than yours. So talk to a doctor. But in some cases it is important to deal with this even with modern (i.e. not natural) medicine.

3. I take Pepcid AC regularly at the doctor's advice. It does have side effects, but after talking to my doctors about my specific case it is worth the risk. (Again... talk to your doctor if this is the case for you).

3. I take Tums for symptoms. This is chemically similar to Baking Soda. It doesn't treat the condition, but when the symptoms are bad... it can really help.

4. Inclining my bed (also recommended by my doctors) is a natural cure. It really helps.

5. I eat small meals 5 or 6 times a day rather than eating a lot in one big meal. I have found this helps. I tried to change my diet (what I am eating). I haven't found this effective.

6. I take a fiber supplement which I think helps... but one of my doctors scoffed at. I asked him if it would hurt anything. He said no. So I keep taking it. It seems to have a positive effect.
0 Replies

tribenh

Sun 19 Jan, 2020 10:15 pm
@daniaugustine,
With this condition, I think you need to see a doctor as soon as possible for effective treatment.
0 Replies

RMorris326

Wed 6 Oct, 2021 08:00 pm
@daniaugustine,
Yes - don't drink water or pop with your meals but 1/2 hr before or 1hr plus after as to not dilute your somach acids. Eat at regular meal times and not between meals. Limit yourself to no more than 3 meals a day with eating the most for the morning meal less for the noon meal and little for the evening meal. And lastly - fast for one or two days a week. Your acid reflux should be gone....
0 Replies