the language of discord

pueo

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2003 05:12 am
as to the original topic by dys, i agree.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2003 08:55 am
Communicating Cyberly is a strange business (is that too nominal?). Considering humans, face-to-face, have trouble understanding one another, the incidence of miscommunication in an online forum is increased exponentially. Nonetheless, your point is well-taken, Dyslexia.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2003 10:21 am
bookmark
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2003 10:21 am
Roger, could you please clarify?
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2003 10:48 am
A wood two by four (2x4) is actually 1 1/2 inches by 3 1/2 inches; the term 2x4 is "nominal".
But when someone hits you over the head with it, you don't really care;
it feels very "precise"!!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2003 12:18 pm
Obviously, roger does not get it. Not much point in dumbing down if it's to be taken at face value.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2003 01:39 pm
Shocked

¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤
~chaos, panic, & disorder-my work here is done~

Embarrassed

Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2003 02:55 pm
I remain unpanicked, and in full laugh.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2003 02:57 pm
But nobody understands me any more! Have I suffered the fate of the denizens of Babel?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2003 03:08 pm
You have one understanderer aboard. I'm afraid, though, that the tower was taken out last night with a Boeing Babel Buster Bomb.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2003 03:10 pm
Whew!
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2003 03:11 pm
Well I do understand that dys is cute so why would he now want to shoot himself in the foot.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2003 03:12 pm
Where does he say he wants to do that? We must stop him!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2003 03:13 pm
oh my

ok - so the next time a clarification is required - forget about 'raising concern' - just say "say that again, bubba". I think that might work. Confused
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2003 03:14 pm
Foot shooting is legal in his state....do NOT try to constrain his constitutional rights!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2003 03:16 pm
Blatham - I think you have nominalisted!

Writing down Beth's words....."say that again, Bubba"....isn't that an adhominen atack, Beth - won't i end up in even more trouble than I did here?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2003 03:19 pm
There's only one way to find out.

hehehehehehehehehehehehehehe
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2003 03:20 pm
dys

I have not previously bumped into these two terms (in the sense used here). Is this differentiation from linguistics or philosophy? I have always, in my mental shorthand language, used generalized/specific to frame the issue, but your terms seem made to order, though having the disadvantage of being somewhat obscure.

Steissd (may he come home safely from his adventure for the motherland, but suffer anmesia and forget us) seemed quite unaware of the imprecision of his language. Of course, he's not alone in that.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2003 03:46 pm
i know that steissd gets on a few of you're nerves, but i find his perspective interesting. as i understand, he was born and raised in the old ussr, became a officer in the soviet army and fought in afghanistan, the soviet version of vietnam. and he currently is a part time medic (emt) in israel. in my opinion, steissed brings a different train of thought to these discussions that i for one enjoy (although not always agreeing) to read.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2003 03:53 pm
I sometimes wonder if such communication difficulties are partly the result of imperfect grasp of the language being written in?

(Of course, English is my mother tongue, so heaven knows what's accounting for my recent problems! C'est la vie....)
0 Replies