Government Can Take Your Home if Someone Important Wants It

Debra Law

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 09:51 am
The best way to fight?

Fight what?

The evil cesspools of corruption that prey upon the weak?

Oh. You're talking about your state and local government that is run by your state and local representatives that YOU elect to office.

Let me get this straight. When your locally-elected officials use the power of eminent domain--a power that YOU gave to them via the laws of your state--you become irate and you want the President to appoint judges to the federal bench to stop your elected officials from doing what YOU gave them the power to do in the first place.

I don't understand.

Aren't you the same people who want Roe v. Wade overturned so that the people in each state can determine for themselves through the democratic process whether the state's power to regulate abortions should be limited?

Doesn't the same apply to the state's power to regulate property takings for public use? Shouldn't the people in each state determine for themselves through the democratic process whether the state's eminent domain powers should be limited?

I am so bewildered.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 10:48 am
It's the same with the Patriot Act that takes away privacy rights of all Americans - then we complain about our government not living true to our Constitution and Bill of Rights. I'm bewildered too!
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 04:04 pm
Debra_Law wrote:
The best way to fight?

Fight what?

The evil cesspools of corruption that prey upon the weak?

Oh. You're talking about your state and local government that is run by your state and local representatives that YOU elect to office.

Let me get this straight. When your locally-elected officials use the power of eminent domain--a power that YOU gave to them via the laws of your state--you become irate and you want the President to appoint judges to the federal bench to stop your elected officials from doing what YOU gave them the power to do in the first place.

I don't understand.

Aren't you the same people who want Roe v. Wade overturned so that the people in each state can determine for themselves through the democratic process whether the state's power to regulate abortions should be limited?

Doesn't the same apply to the state's power to regulate property takings for public use? Shouldn't the people in each state determine for themselves through the democratic process whether the state's eminent domain powers should be limited?

I am so bewildered.

Yes, you are, but I will help. No, I did not create the laws that exist. I have merely made an infinitessimal contribution to them. I have very little power to affect law. Maybe if I devoted my life and all waking energies to it, I could have a little more ability to affect law, but just voting and sending $50 contributions here and there gives me approximately zero control. Furthermore, the Supreme Court ruling opens to door for politicians to assist rich cronies in taking land from the powerless. I perceive that this is not much of a concern to you.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 06:42 pm
Jeepers Brandon are you deliberately missing the point? Talk about cursing the darkness....Debra_Law has clearly indicated the solution to this issue of eminent domain. Foxfyre the same with you. Why the focus on the Supreme Court or is eminent domain simply a stalking horse to use to push the argument that Bush should be free to appoint whichever conservative, right-wing justice he wishes to the Supreme Court?

It is clear even to me that the solution to the alleged abuse of eminent domain is to deal with those who have the power to use/abuse it - the States. The Supreme Court has, for better or ill, interpreted the law to expand the concept. Okay you may have an argument with their interpretation and that's fair enough but when it comes to doing something about it moaning about the Supreme Court isn't the way to do it.

Get active and get active with your State government.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 07:20 pm
goodfielder wrote:
Jeepers Brandon are you deliberately missing the point? Talk about cursing the darkness....Debra_Law has clearly indicated the solution to this issue of eminent domain. Foxfyre the same with you. Why the focus on the Supreme Court or is eminent domain simply a stalking horse to use to push the argument that Bush should be free to appoint whichever conservative, right-wing justice he wishes to the Supreme Court?

It is clear even to me that the solution to the alleged abuse of eminent domain is to deal with those who have the power to use/abuse it - the States. The Supreme Court has, for better or ill, interpreted the law to expand the concept. Okay you may have an argument with their interpretation and that's fair enough but when it comes to doing something about it moaning about the Supreme Court isn't the way to do it.

Get active and get active with your State government.

Yes, I take exception to the Supreme Court decision. I think it's obscene. In the past, most corrupt politicians probably wouldn't have dared to take someone's home and give it to a rich guy, but now they will dare. It's scary to have to remedy this in every state or municipality in the country. There will inevitably be loopholes and abuses. Now the likelihood of the rich "raping" the poor is greater than it was. And forget buying property on the suspicion that it will appreciate. Now, if you guess correctly and hold the land until it is in demand, you may simply be forced to donate it to the wealthy at bargain basement prices.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 07:25 pm
To Goodfielder, no, because I think it was never intended that the state government or any level of government should be allowed to seize the property of one citizen for private use by another; not for any reason. The Constitution intended to protect the rights of the little guy as well as promote the general welfare and I believe the particular ruling in question ran roughshod over a specific amendment intended to do just that.

Expand the concept? That is what judicial activism is, after all isn't it? And it is that to which many of us object. It is only through the amendment process by which the Constitution should be expanded, eliminated, changed or whatever, not by judicial rulings from SCOTUS. I believe it is not difficult to see the danger in a ruling that allows local or state or the federal government to set aside a particular Constitutional protection for the powerless.

I want judges who understand that and refuse to use their powers for such 'expansion of Constitutional intent'.

That is my official (for now) response to Debra too.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 11:53 pm
Foxfyre I did say the Supreme Court interpreted the law (process) thus expanding the concept (product).

But all in all I think I got through that one relatively unscathed :wink:
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 12:06 am
Goodfielder writes
Quote:
But all in all I think I got through that one relatively unscathed

Smile

Well I hate whiners as much as the next guy. But in this particular case, Brandon is right. There are certain protections of property, etc. that should be a given that they are constitutionally protected so that we don't have to spend all our time defending them. One local or state administration might see it our way, but the next might have strong incentive to court a big developer who wants the land my house sits on.

But yeah, you came through in good shape. Smile

Now tell me about the mare and foal. Yours? If so, I'm turning green with envy.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 02:45 am
I wish they were mine. I did have an Arabian/Thoroughbred many years ago, she was a chestnut. Beautiful animal but very strong-willed.

No the mare is Police Mare Oceana. She gave birth at the mounted police stables on weekend and I got to see the foal when she was about a week old. She's now a 9 month old filly named Waratah and she is apparently quite a girl Very Happy
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 09:14 am
Cool. I have loved horses for as long as I can remember. Knowing that, my daughter gives me two big calendars featuring beautiful horses for Christmas every year--they make me happy just looking at them. I am not in a position to have horses of my own at this time, however......sigh.

Oh well. Returning the thread to its previously scheduled programming.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 05:57 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
To Goodfielder, no, because I think it was never intended that the state government or any level of government should be allowed to seize the property of one citizen for private use by another; not for any reason. The Constitution intended to protect the rights of the little guy as well as promote the general welfare and I believe the particular ruling in question ran roughshod over a specific amendment intended to do just that.

You are WRONG concerning the original intent of the United States Constitution and what it sought to protect. If you do your research, you will KNOW that the Fifth Amendment's "Takings Clause" was a limitation on FEDERAL power only--it was NOT a limitation on state power.

Accordingly, your federal constitutional argument that "it was NEVER intended that STATE government . . . should be allowed to seize property of one citizen for private use by another; not for any reason," and that the Supreme Court ran roughshod over the Fifth Amendment has no basis in fact or law. Originally, the taxing and taking powers of the state were unrestrained by any federal authority.

With respect to STATE taxing and taking powers, the Supreme Court stated the following:

Quote:
The taxing [and taking] power of the states is primarily vested in their Legislatures, deriving their authority from the people. When a state Legislature acts within the scope of its authority it is responsible to the people, and their right to change the agents to whom they have intrusted the power is ordinarily deemed a sufficient check upon its abuse. When the constituted authority of the state undertakes to exert the taxing power, and the question of the validity of its action is brought before this court, every presumption in its favor is indulged, and only clear and demonstrated usurpation of power will authorize judicial interference with legislative action.

In the present instance under the authority of the Constitution and laws prevailing in North Dakota the people, the Legislature, and the highest court of the state have declared the purpose for which these several acts were passed to be of a public nature, and within the taxing authority of the state. With this united action of people, [253 U.S. 233, 240] Legislature and court, we are not at liberty to interfere unless it is clear beyond reasonable controversy that rights secured by the federal Constitution have been violated. What is a public purpose has given rise to no little judicial consideration. Courts, as a rule, have attempted no judicial definition of a 'public' as distinguished from a 'private' purpose, but have left each case to be determined by its own peculiar circumstances. Gray, Limitations of Taxing Power, 176.

'Necessity alone is not the test by which the limits of state authority in this direction are to be defined, but a wise statesmanship must look beyond the expenditures which are absolutely needful to continue the existence of organized government, and embrace others which may tend to make that government subserve the general well-being of society, and advance the present and prospective happiness and prosperity of the people.' Cooley, Justice, in People v. Salem, 20 Mich. 452, 4 Am. Rep. 400.

Questions of policy are not submitted to judicial determination, and the courts have no general authority of supervision over the exercise of discretion which under our system is reposed in the people or other departments of government.

GREEN v. FRAZIER , 253 U.S. 233 (1920)

In Kelo, Justice Stevens wrote:

Quote:
In affirming the City's authority to take petitioners' properties, we do not minimize the hardship that condemnations may entail, notwithstanding the payment of just compensation. We emphasize that nothing in our opinion precludes any State from placing further restrictions on its exercise of the takings power. Indeed, many States already impose "public use" requirements that are stricter than the federal baseline. Some of these requirements have been established as a matter of state constitutional law, while others are expressed in state eminent domain statutes that carefully limit the grounds upon which takings may be exercised. As the submissions of the parties and their amici make clear, the necessity and wisdom of using eminent domain to promote economic development are certainly matters of legitimate public debate. This Court's authority, however, extends only to determining whether the City's proposed condemnations are for a "public use" within the meaning of the Fifth Amendment to the Federal Constitution. Because over a century of our case law interpreting that provision dictates an affirmative answer to that question, we may not grant petitioners the relief that they seek.

Kelo v. New London

The Court did not engage in judicial activism. Quite the opposite--the Court engaged in judicial restraint leaving the issue of what constitutes legitimate public use takings to the political processes available to the people in their respective states. It's not the Court's job to determine questions of state policy.

Foxfyre wrote:
Expand the concept? That is what judicial activism is, after all isn't it? And it is that to which many of us object. It is only through the amendment process by which the Constitution should be expanded, eliminated, changed or whatever, not by judicial rulings from SCOTUS. I believe it is not difficult to see the danger in a ruling that allows local or state or the federal government to set aside a particular Constitutional protection for the powerless.

I want judges who understand that and refuse to use their powers for such 'expansion of Constitutional intent'.

That is my official (for now) response to Debra too.

Again, the Supreme Court did not engage in judicial activism--it did not expand the Constitution. The extreme opposite occurred: The Court used judicial RESTRAINT. In other circumstances, you demand that the federal courts exercise restraint (e.g., same-sex marriage, abortion).

I, for one, don't believe the courts go far enough to protect the rights of the "little guy" (the term you used to indentify the individual who is being oppressed by the government). However, it bewilders me and breaks my heart that you believe the little guy who wants to protect his home from state powers of eminent domain is entitled to more constitutional protection than the "little guy" who wants equal protection under the state marriage laws or the "little woman" who wants the right of privacy to determine her own reproductive destiny.

Your voice that advocates for constitutional protection of the oppressed individual is selective.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 06:13 pm
Lol, don't you see what the key word is in this case, Deb, that brings about concern?

Property.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 08:30 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Lol, don't you see what the key word is in this case, Deb, that brings about concern?

Property.

Cycloptichorn

Now what are you saying here? Are you implying that it is somehow unworthy for a person not to want the powerful to steal his home, or even his investment?

If it belongs to you, then there exists no moral right for another to take it, except in that very specific case where the government takes it for an absolute emergency.

You use the word "property" as though the desire to protect one's property from theft is ignoble. Is this, in fact, what you believe?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 11:19 pm
Debra writes
Quote:
You are WRONG concerning the original intent of the United States Constitution and what it sought to protect. If you do your research, you will KNOW that the Fifth Amendment's "Takings Clause" was a limitation on FEDERAL power only--it was NOT a limitation on state power.

Accordingly, your federal constitutional argument that "it was NEVER intended that STATE government . . . should be allowed to seize property of one citizen for private use by another; not for any reason," and that the Supreme Court ran roughshod over the Fifth Amendment has no basis in fact or law. Originally, the taxing and taking powers of the state were unrestrained by any federal authority.

I will concede that the Fifth Amendment initially applied to only Federal Law. Less than 100 years later, however, the Fourteenth Amendment extended the protections of the Fifth Amendments to include the states. This was ratified by the states with no little effort. To this day some contend the Fourteenth Amendment is unconstitutional.

Taxes levied to fund a lawfully elected government is one thing. Condemnation of private property for public use is one thing. Condemnation of private property for use by another private property is a much different thing. And I believe the Fourteenth Amendment was adopted mostly to prevent that kind of injustice.

I am sure you are not suggesting now that the states do not have to adhere to the Fifth Amendment. To say that would suggest that the states are not obligated to abide by any of the Bill of Rights or any of the Constitution where it is not specifically spelled out that they must comply.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 02:06 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Debra writes
Quote:

I will concede that the Fifth Amendment initially applied to only Federal Law. Less than 100 years later, however, the Fourteenth Amendment extended the protections of the Fifth Amendments to include the states. This was ratified by the states with no little effort. To this day some contend the Fourteenth Amendment is unconstitutional.

You're wrong again. The ratification of the Fourteenth Amendment did not immediately make the protections of the Fifth Amendment enforceable against the states.

In DAVIDSON v. CITY OF NEW ORLEANS, 96 U.S. 97 (1877), the United States Supreme Court reviewed your contention that the Fourteenth Amendment extended the protections of the Fifth Amendment to include the states. The Court said:

Quote:
It may violate some provision of the State Constitution against unequal taxation; but the Federal Constitution imposes no restraints on the States in that regard. If private property be taken for public uses without just compensation, it must be remembered that, when the fourteenth amendment was adopted, the provision on that subject, in immediate juxtaposition in the fifth amendment with the one we are construing [the due process clause], was left out, and this was taken.

Accordingly, after the Fourteenth Amendment was ratified, the Court attached considerable weight to the fact that the Fifth Amendment secured both due process and just compensation, but the Fourteenth Amendment secured only due process. The Court refused to impose the missing clause of just compensation into the requirement of due process in the Fourteenth Amendment.

It wasn't until the Court decided CHICAGO, B. & Q. R. CO. v. CITY OF CHICAGO, 166 U.S. 226 (1897) that the Court determined that the due process clause isn't solely concerned with fair procedures, but also embraces a substantive component. ("In determining what is due process of law, regard must be had to substance, not to form.") Accordingly, the Court noted that states must pay "just compensation" for a taking to comply with the due process clause of the Fourteenth Amendment. However, the right against self-incrimination (also a Fifth Amendment clause) was not made applicable to the states via the Fourteenth Amendment until 1964.

Foxfyre wrote:
Taxes levied to fund a lawfully elected government is one thing. Condemnation of private property for public use is one thing. Condemnation of private property for use by another private property is a much different thing. And I believe the Fourteenth Amendment was adopted mostly to prevent that kind of injustice.

How can you possibly know what "injustices" the "due process" clause of the Fourteenth Amendment was adopted to prevent when the Supreme Court didn't even know? It took decades of case-by-case jurisprudence to apply the due process clause to protect individuals from state-inflicted "injustices." The full extent of the due process clause still has not been fully determined.

Foxfyre wrote:
I am sure you are not suggesting now that the states do not have to adhere to the Fifth Amendment. To say that would suggest that the states are not obligated to abide by any of the Bill of Rights or any of the Constitution where it is not specifically spelled out that they must comply.

The states do not have to comply with the grand jury indictment clause of the Fifth Amendment.

The following amendments in the Bill of Rights have NOT been incorporated into the Fourteenth Amendment: Second, Third, and Seventh.

I am saying that you are wrong; your sweeping statements about what the Constitution INTENDED or NEVER INTENDED were not based on fact or law. The Constitution has gone through extensive interpretation and application to cases and controversies since the ratification of the Fourteenth Amendment and the meaning of the due process clause has been developing / evolving for decades. Federal constitutional protections against state infringements of individual rights have not always existed--and yet people take those constitutional protections for granted as if they were always there.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 08:03 am
Debra, I am no match for you in citing legal arguments. I only know that both the AARP and the ACLU filed briefs in favor of the homeowners in the particular case starting this thread, so I can't believe I'm all that far off base in thinking the high court overstepped its boundaries on this one. I will defer to your much superior expertise on most of these matters, but will note that you continue to use the phrase "for public use" which is constitutional, while the issue here is the government taking private property for the benefit of another private individual or entity.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 12:41 pm
The phrase "public use" is ambiguous. What may or may not constitute "public use" is a policy decision. The Court has never condoned taking A's private property for the sole purpose of giving it to B. The Court required a public purpose and the City of New London presented a public purpose.

You and I might not agree with the public purpose presented--economic development of an economically depressed area--but determining what is in the best interest of the public is a policy choice that is entrusted to people and their elected officials.

"Questions of policy are not submitted to judicial determination, and the courts have no general authority of supervision over the exercise of discretion which under our system is reposed in the people or other departments of government."

The City of New London was economically depressed. To revitalize the economy for the public benefit, a comprehensive economic development plan was devised and approved by the state. The plan encompassed 90 acres.

Most of the property owners sold their property to accomodate the economic development plan in exchange for just compensation. Only a few property owners refused to sell. To obtain the remaining lots, the City of New London acted in accordance with the eminent domain laws of Connecticut.

If you believe the power of eminent domain has been abused, you are not without a remedy. When the government acts within the scope of its authority it is responsible to the people. The people's right to change the agents to whom they have intrusted the power is ordinarily deemed a sufficient check upon its abuse.

Again, Justice Stevens wrote:

"We emphasize that nothing in our opinion precludes any State from placing further restrictions on its exercise of the takings power. Indeed, many States already impose 'public use' requirements that are stricter than the federal baseline. Some of these requirements have been established as a matter of state constitutional law, while others are expressed in state eminent domain statutes that carefully limit the grounds upon which takings may be exercised. As the submissions of the parties and their amici make clear, the necessity and wisdom of using eminent domain to promote economic development are certainly matters of legitimate public debate."

If you and other like-minded individuals believe it is NOT wise statemanship for state government to use its powers of eminent domain for economic development, then your remedy is to petition your state lawmakers for redress of your grievances and make them accountable when you enter the voting booth.

Inasmuch as you are an ardent opponent of "judicial activism," you should be pleased that the Court used restraint and left the policy issues surrounding "public use" to the political processes of the people in their respective states. Isn't this what you demand with respect to other issues such as same-sex marriage and abortion?

You are very selective in what you believe the Constitution protects and what you believe it does not protect. You try to substantiate your selectiveness with sweeping, unsubstantiated statements about what was INTENDED or NEVER INTENDED with respect to the meaning / interpretation of phrases and clauses in the Constitution.

Accordingly, I suspect that your objections have far less to do with the proper interpretation and application of the Constitution and more to do with your personal views.

An individual's property interests are of extreme importance. They are second only to life and liberty interests.

The substantive component of the due process clause of the Fourteenth Amendment requires the state to pay just compensation for taking private property. But, what does the substantive component of the due process clause of the Fourteenth Amendment require when the state infringes or deprives individuals of their life and liberty interests?

You dismiss and stomp all over individual liberty interests in accordance with your moral beliefs, and at the same time you canonize property interests. Your selectivism is bewildering. Something is askew.

It would seem to me, in order for you to be consistent, if the homosexuals must resort to the political processes of their respective states to gain equal protection under state marriage laws, then what is good for the goose is good for the gander. So too should the property owners resort to the political processes of their respective states to limit the state power of eminent domain with respect to takings for economic development.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 01:06 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Property.

Cycloptichorn

Now what are you saying here? Are you implying that it is somehow unworthy for a person not to want the powerful to steal his home, or even his investment?

If it belongs to you, then there exists no moral right for another to take it, except in that very specific case where the government takes it for an absolute emergency.

You use the word "property" as though the desire to protect one's property from theft is ignoble. Is this, in fact, what you believe?

Lol, my point is that there is, as Deb so eloquently pointed out, a real disparity on the Right side of the political spectrum when it comes to the question of protection of rights; namely, Righties are only concerned when it comes to the question of whether property of someone is threatened. Forget about their lives, happiness, equality; none of that matters to the right side of the spectrum near as much as property, which is essentially money.

Therefore I, like Deb, do not see too much concern for one's fellow man in this case but rather just another concern for money.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 01:54 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Lol, my point is that there is, as Deb so eloquently pointed out, a real disparity on the Right side of the political spectrum when it comes to the question of protection of rights; namely, Righties are only concerned when it comes to the question of whether property of someone is threatened. Forget about their lives, happiness, equality; none of that matters to the right side of the spectrum near as much as property, which is essentially money.

Therefore I, like Deb, do not see too much concern for one's fellow man in this case but rather just another concern for money.

Cycloptichorn

"The Constitution [was/is] intended to protect the rights of the little guy."--Foxfyre

When and if we should ever observe genuine concern for the fundamental rights of the "little guy," then maybe the sincerity of statements such as the one quoted above might not be questioned. Very Happy
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 03:05 pm
If one examines the historical context of the takings clause of the Fifth Amendment, one can readily ascertain that the takings / just compensation clause was intended to benefit SLAVE OWNERS in the event the free, non-slave states should ban together in Congress and enact legislation that emancipated slaves (PROPERTY) without compensation.

The clause is part of the Constitution, not because there was a national demand for it, but because James Madison, the author of the Bill of Rights, unilaterally included it among the amendments he proposed in 1789. Madison did not explain what the clause meant when he presented it to Congress, and no debate in Congress about its meaning -- if there was any debate -- has been preserved.

Madison, of course, was a slave owner.

In a letter to an antislavery advocate, Madison proposed that the federal government purchase all slaves in order to free them. He observed, "Whatever may be the intrinsic character of that property [slavery], it is one known to the constitution and, as such, could not be constitutionally taken away without compensation."

Source: The Original Understanding of the Takings Clause

http://www.law.georgetown.edu/gelpi/papers/ptreanr.htm

So much for the takings clause and the noble, altruistic INTENT to protect the "little guy."
0 Replies