Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2005 04:31 pm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 648 • Replies: 9
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2005 10:16 pm
There is still much work for the NAACP. I hope them best wishes and success.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 05:34 am
This man will put anew complexion on things, pardon the pun.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 05:51 am
The problem which will face each new head of the NAACP until the dichotomy is resolved is the divide between the poor black community and the affluent black community--in my never humble opinion.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 06:14 am
That's true, Set. I don't see that angle altering appreciably in the short term.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 10:54 am
edgar, All the challenges for black are long-term. This country has still not met that challenge.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 12:56 pm
Years ago I watched a television show about blacks moving into an all white neighborhood. A cultured, personable black man bought the house next door and the white subjects of the story were welcoming, having no problems with such an obviously quality person. The show ended with another black person moving in on the other side. This time, the person was of the working class, not so refined. The show ended with the question, "Will you still welcome black neighbors if they look like this man?"
There is a great divide between how some blacks are perceived compared to others, even among themselves.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 01:22 pm
"There is a great divide between how some blacks are perceived compared to others, even among themselves." But isn't that true of all races?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 03:25 pm
True, but the poor blacks seem more trapped than the others.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 03:35 pm
Also true. What they need are preschools and more tutoring early in their life. Our government continues to fail them by not spending enough early in each child's life, but continues to increase spending for our prisons.
0 Replies