Are You a Mosquito Magnet?

eoe

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 03:51 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
a ceramic white plate?
Or plastic?

I am going to try that suggestion..

I've been using an old ceramic dinner plate. It's important to note, I think, that lemon juice will more than likely be diluted in the water, hence, the dish detergent, which is thick and concetrated, would work better.
0 Replies

kirsten

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 03:58 pm
If there's a mosquito within 5 miles it will find my sister, but I rarely get bitten.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 05:59 pm
Hollis Ray Mathis?
Dominic John?
JesusGirl?

thats all Ive got, I dont remember anybody else (other than a few wackadoodles)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 06:03 pm
wasn't he the host of that never-ending one word thread?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 07:38 pm
That was Moondoggy.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 07:54 pm
Moondoggy started it, but he wasn't the 'host'. The Texas guy used to poke the thread with a stick every now and then to keep it going.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 08:05 pm
JesusGirl doesn't live in Texas. My money is on Hollis Ray, but I dunno.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 08:08 pm
I've been poking around in one of my old email accounts - the one that kept getting updates on that thread forever.

I'm having one of those tip of the tongue things on his name.
I can remember all kinds of odd details about the hospice work he did, but the name keeps sliding away.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 08:09 pm
he wasn't religious in the Hollis Ray sense.

it was part of his life, but not really part of his posting.

he knew good stuff about barbequing.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 08:17 pm
I'm one of those who folks love to have at their outdoor BBQ. Nobody's bothered by mosquitoes while I'm around, but I'm surrounded by clouds of the little pests. My son's inherited it, whatever "it" is.

I heard about the Liquid Joy thing via an e-mail, and thought, I've gotta try that, but then I received another e-mail:

Joy of the Great Outdoors

So I never tried it.

The mosquitoes are baaaaad here now, 'cause we had a lot of rain in the spring, and we have a new city entomologist who doesn't believe in spraying. He has another plan. Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 08:19 pm
mckenzie wrote:
The mosquitoes are baaaaad here now, 'cause we had a lot of rain in the spring, and we have a new city entomologist who doesn't believe in spraying. He has another plan. Evil or Very Mad

I think I heard him on the CBC earlier this week.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 08:33 pm
The link didn't come thru, McKenzie. What's the deal on the liquid JOY?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 08:37 pm
A few years ago I went north to Idaho to a memorial service for my aunt, who died just before her 101st birthday. It was held in late June in the woods right by on lake, the name of which I don't remember, and another, at the side of Lake Pond Oreille. I was afraid of facing mosquitos, which had used me as mealtime when I was a child in a Chicago suburb.

Farmerman told me about a mix of Deet and Lavender oil, and I made up three small spray bottles. Yes, I've read material against DEET. Still, I did it.

The events were held - especially the small cemetary service - with absolute clouds of mosquitoes watching over and honing in on the group. I did not get bitten that whole set of days. For a one time fix I was quite satisfied. For a long term thing, I'd probably have to wear white net drapes and become my own little cloud.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 08:46 pm
Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 08:53 pm
I remember, eoe, you lived in Chicago, didn't you?
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 08:56 pm
Eoe, it didn't come through? Well, here's the url:

http://www.snopes.com/oldwives/dishsoap.asp
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 09:04 pm
ehBeth, he's on the hot seat right now. First, he won't release the numbers of 'squitos in the traps 'cause it's not relevant, then he will, but once a week, then, well, maybe not so often.

Spray, why don't you? Summer's too short!!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 09:09 pm
ossobuco wrote:
I remember, eoe, you lived in Chicago, didn't you?

For 38 years. But the mosquitoes weren't as awful as they are here, south of the Mason-Dixon line. Ooooweee.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 09:43 pm
mckenzie wrote:
Eoe, it didn't come through? Well, here's the url:

http://www.snopes.com/oldwives/dishsoap.asp

Gotta confess that the message in the link was almost word for word with the email I received and maybe it's an old wives tale or maybe a psychological repellent, who knows, but I haven't been bitten all season, and I'm out every evening in my garden or just hanging out on the patio. Uusually I'm bitten daily but the Joy-in-the-plate works for me and that's all I ask, old wives tale or not.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 09:52 pm
eoe, glad to hear it. It's worth a try.
0 Replies