Ethical /Unethical Use Of Doctors At GITMO As Interrogators

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 07:11 am
Quote:
Interrogators Cite Doctors' Aid at Guantánamo

By NEIL A. LEWIS
Published: June 24, 2005

WASHINGTON, June 23 - Military doctors at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, have aided interrogators in conducting and refining coercive interrogations of detainees, including providing advice on how to increase stress levels and exploit fears, according to new, detailed accounts given by former interrogators.

The accounts, in interviews with The New York Times, come as mental health professionals are debating whether psychiatrists and psychologists at the prison camp have violated professional ethics codes. The Pentagon and mental health professionals have been examining the ethical issues involved.

The former interrogators said the military doctors' role was to advise them and their fellow interrogators on ways of increasing psychological duress on detainees, sometimes by exploiting their fears, in the hopes of making them more cooperative and willing to provide information. In one example, interrogators were told that a detainee's medical files showed he had a severe phobia of the dark and suggested ways in which that could be manipulated to induce him to cooperate.

In addition, the authors of an article published by The New England Journal of Medicine this week said their interviews with doctors who helped devise and supervise the interrogation regimen at Guantánamo showed that the program was explicitly designed to increase fear and distress among detainees as a means to obtaining intelligence.

The accounts shed light on how interrogations were conducted and raise new questions about the boundaries of medical ethics in the nation's fight against terrorism.

Bryan Whitman, a senior Pentagon spokesman, declined to address the specifics in the accounts. But he suggested that the doctors advising interrogators were not covered by ethics strictures because they were not treating patients but rather were acting as behavioral scientists.

He said that while some health care personnel are responsible for "humane treatment of detainees," some medical professionals "may have other roles," like serving as behavioral scientists assessing the character of interrogation subjects.

The military refused to give The Times permission to interview medical personnel at the isolated Guantánamo camp about their practices, and the medical journal, in an article that criticized the program, did not name the officials interviewed by its authors. The handful of former interrogators who spoke to The Times about the practices at Guantánamo spoke on condition of anonymity; some said they had welcomed the doctors' help.

Pentagon officials said in interviews that the practices at Guantánamo violated no ethics guidelines, and they disputed the conclusions of the medical journal's article, which was posted on the journal's Web site on Wednesday.

Several ethics experts outside the military said there were serious questions involving the conduct of the doctors, especially those in units known as Behavioral Science Consultation Teams, BSCT, colloquially referred to as "biscuit" teams, which advise interrogators.

"Their purpose was to help us break them," one former interrogator told The Times earlier this year.

The interrogator said in a more recent interview that a biscuit team doctor, having read the medical file of a detainee, suggested that the inmate's longing for his mother could be exploited to persuade him to cooperate.

Dr. Stephen Xenakis, a psychiatrist and former Army brigadier general in the medical corps, said in an interview that "this behavior is not consistent with our medical responsibility or any of the codes that guide our conduct as doctors."

In your opinion, are these doctors breaking code of ethics?

Are military doctors held to a different standard, or should they be?

Do you agree or disagree with psychiatrists being used in this way at Gitmo?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 850 • Replies: 5
No top replies

squinney

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 07:13 am
Sorry. Here's the source and the rest of the article.

New York Times
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 07:35 am
Re: Ethical /Unethical Use Of Doctors At GITMO As Interrogat
[quote="squinney"

Bryan Whitman, a senior Pentagon spokesman, declined to address the specifics in the accounts. But he suggested that the doctors advising interrogators were not covered by ethics strictures because they were not treating patients but rather were acting as behavioral scientists.
Quote:

Yes they are acting unethically and if nothing else it demonstrates the shame the band of thugs who are in control of this government are bringing on the country. The United State I grew up in prided itself on being better than this. As I am in the behavioral sciences I particularly resent the above statement by Mr. Whitman and his casual prostitution of my field of study.

edited for spelling
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 08:21 am
Not to make such a comparison and have to apologize later, but when reading this I got the immediate "Dr. Mengle, I presume?" pictue in my head.

Here's another article on the subject:

Toronto Star
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 08:30 am
"First, do no harm...."

Of course they're breaking their code of ethics. So did the medical profession in Nazi Germany.

Why the surprise?
0 Replies

LucyDee

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 01:03 pm
Need Info
Hello, I am new here, just stumbled on this site.
I am hoping someone can help me obtain a list of the doctors who are involved with this.
Or lead me in the right direction. Very important
Thanks
LD
0 Replies