No More Private Property Rights

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 08:42 pm
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=44952

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THIS LAND WAS YOUR LAND
Court rules cities
can seize homes
Supremes decide private project trumps rights of property owners

Posted: June 23, 2005
3:07 p.m. Eastern

© 2005 WorldNetDaily.com

Property-rights advocates condemned the Supreme Court's split decision today allowing a local government to seize a home or business against the owner's will for the purpose of private development.

"It's a dark day for American homeowners," said Dana Berliner, senior attorney with the Institute for Justice, which represented a group of Connecticut residents in the case.

"While most constitutional decisions affect a small number of people, this decision undermines the rights of every American, except the most politically connected," Berliner said. "Every home, small business or church would produce more taxes as a shopping center or office building. And according to the court, that's a good enough reason for eminent domain."

The 5-4 ruling went against the owners of homes targeted for destruction to make room for an office complex.

Susette Kelo was among several residents of New London, Conn., who sued the city after officials announced plans to raze their homes for a riverfront hotel, health club and offices.

"I was in this battle to save my home and, in the process, protect the rights of working class homeowners throughout the country," Kelso said. "I am very disappointed that the court sided with powerful government and business interests, but I will continue to fight to save my home and to preserve the Constitution."

The debate centered on the scope of the Fifth Amendment, which allows governments to take private property through eminent domain if the land is for "public use."

Until now, that has been interpreted to mean projects such as roads, schools and urban renewal. But New London officials argued that the private development plans served a public purpose of boosting economic growth, even though the area was not blighted.

Justice Sandra Day O'Connor, writing in dissent, said cities shouldn't be allowed to uproot a family in order to accommodate wealthy developers.

"Any property may now be taken for the benefit of another private party, but the fallout from this decision will not be random," O'Connor wrote. "The beneficiaries are likely to be those citizens with disproportionate influence and power in the political process, including large corporations and development firms."

O'Conner was joined in her opinion by Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist and Justices Antonin Scalia and Clarence Thomas.

Writing for the majority, Justice John Paul Stevens said, "The city has carefully formulated an economic development that it believes will provide appreciable benefits to the community, including -- but by no means limited to -- new jobs and increased tax revenue."

He was joined by Justice Anthony Kennedy, David H. Souter, Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Stephen G. Breyer.

Chip Mellor, president of the Institute for Justice, said both the majority and the dissent recognized that the action in this issue now turns to state supreme courts where the public-use battle will be fought out under state constitutions.

"Today's decision in no way binds those courts," he said.

Mellor said his group will work to ensure the property owners in New London keep their homes.

"This is a terrible precedent that must be overturned by this court, just as bad state supreme court eminent domain decisions in Michigan and Illinois were later overturned by those courts," he said.

Another homeowner in the case, Mike Cristofaro, has owned property New London for more than 30 years.

"I am astonished that the court would permit the government to throw out my family from their home so that private developers can make more money," he said. "Although the court ruled against us, I am very proud of the fight we waged for my family and for the rights of all Americans."

The Institute for Justice says more than 10,000 private properties have been threatened or condemned in recent years.

The neighborhood slated for destruction includes Victorian-era houses and some small businesses that have remained in a family for several generations.

The residents are entitled to "just compensation" for their homes under the Fifth Amendment.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 791 • Replies: 4
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 08:55 pm
Terrorism is primarily an activity carried out by governments against it's own citizens.
0 Replies

ConstitutionalGirl

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 09:01 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Terrorism is primarily an activity carried out by governments against it's own citizens.
And that's what's going on in Iraq.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 09:03 pm
I guess we now know how the native Americans felt when the US gov't started the Homestead Act in the 1800's.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 09:06 pm
Green Witch wrote:
I guess we now know how the native Americans felt when the US gov't started the Homestead Act in the 1800's.

No we don't, prior to the 1880's we promised in written treaty that they would own the land as long as the grass grew (eternity) (then we stole their land)
0 Replies