How did the last big tax cut affect you personally?

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2019 09:35 am
A person I know benefitted by getting more money in her pocket. She was angry when I complained. I have never told her or complained about it publicly before now.

In times past, my income tax return had gone from approximately $1200 per year to settle at about $700. Last time I got exactly zero back, although my circumstances have not changed. Therefore I feel I lost $700 per year. I am one of the people who could least afford it.

RABEL222

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2019 09:50 am
@edgarblythe,
Since I am not a billionaire, my income tax bill has increased. Someone has to pay the bills and since the very rich can't afford it i guess I have to take up the slack.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2019 10:23 am
What tax cut?
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2019 11:52 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

What tax cut?

Opinion: It’s official: The Trump tax cuts were a bust
Study Finds Trump Tax Cuts Failed to Do Anything But Give Rich People Money

Quote:
How did the last big tax cut affect you personally?

I haven't checked if I have any forgotten checking accounts that would indicate whether I am now a $billionaire. I'll get back to you later this weekend.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2019 12:38 pm
@edgarblythe,
I’m not getting enough income to either owe taxes or receive a return. So whenever there was some tax cut, I didn’t get any help.
farmerman

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2019 01:19 pm
@Ragman,
Well, this year, bcause of all the farm subsidies, I decided to not grow soybeans. I didnt grow 55 acres(lotsa work ).
So my subsidy was really good, after a lot of detailed planning, Ive decided to double my soybean acreage and not grow 120 acres next year
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2019 03:31 pm
I got a tax return for the first time in about 8 years, it worked out great for me. I also don't live in a high tax state, so I didn't lose any "write-offs" for paying more than $10k per year in state taxes.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2019 04:20 pm
I had to go into the last 2 years' worth of TurboTax to find ours.

2017: owed $1,121
2018: refunded $3,570

However, it's not what it looks like.

2017 total tax: $3,428
2018 total tax: $7,692

2017 withholding: $2,307
2018 withholding: $11,262

The difference is directly correlated with me having a full-time job all year in 2018, whereas I freelanced with no withholding for the first 8 months of 2017.

Did we benefit from the tax cut? Sure as hell doesn't look like it from here. It just looks like we equalized because now I'm properly withholding. Our actual taxes charged more than doubled.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2019 05:54 pm
@edgarblythe,
In a strange way, I benefited greatly.

My neighbors were incredibly irritating. He played opera and other music at the highest volume possible. It could be heard 3 floors away! He also whistled far too much to be healthy.

While he did this, his wife was off showing apartments, condos, townhouses and other realty. She was listed on her firm's website, along with the properties she had sold. All quite insanely priced (she sold in the wealthiest zones of Manhattan). Nothing under a million dollars. She would receive commission on each sale. All while living in a low rent apartment with her pot smoking jerk of a husband.

It would seem likely, she became either a 1%-er or close to it, therefore the tax benefit helped her and the bald mutton head, to afford a nice new home somewhere else.

I have benefited from the serenity induced quiet.

Financially, I got nothing.
0 Replies

Miss L Toad

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2019 07:09 pm
Nonplussed and nonminussed.

https://www.thebalance.com/trump-s-tax-plan-how-it-affects-you-4113968#individual-income-tax-deductions-and-exemptions

0 Replies