US could have EMP attack

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 10:11 am
An EMP Attack is a part of asymmetrical warfare. What is asymmetrical warfare? It is warfare designed by an enemy that does not have the ability to win a war using conventional methods.

What is an EMP attack? Quite simply, it is exploding a small to medium nuclear device approximately 400 mile up in the atmosphere. It would cause little to no physical damage to the terrain below, or to those that live there. What it would do is introduce a massive EMP (Electro Magnetic Pulse) field to everything below it. This would effectively knock out all electrical generating equipment, cell phones, radios, televisions, computers, etc. The EMP would incapacitate most electrical circuits.

This would result in no electricity. No water pumps for local communities. No refrigeration. Most cars would be non-functional due to their reliance on computers to control their engines, etc. Most things that rely on electricity would be non-functional. Can you imagine what this would do to the United States? The only people we could communicate with would be those standing next to us, in person. Again, no radio, no TV, no internet.

Is this science fiction? No!!! Several military reports have already been presented to Congress on this matter. A Google or Yahoo or MSN search on the subject will reveal it is very real. But except for a few conservative news sources, such as Worldnetdaily, newsmax, and a few newspapers, this subject is being hidden from the American public. Yet Congress and our military are vividly aware of this threat.

Just one such article.

Iran has already said it is considering one of these to bring the United States to its knees. It doesn't take much. A Simple Scud missile (with a range of about 1200 miles) with a small nuclear warhead launched in international waters, aimed to detonate over the central U.S. would do the trick. Incapacitating the U.S., parts of Canada and Mexico too.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 806 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 10:16 am
I honestly don't worry about stuff like this. I mean, our government uses fear tactics all the time. Is is true> Maybe. But what can I do about it?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 10:33 am
Gawd that would be awful. I'd have to manually blow up Lusty Lucy.
0 Replies

joeljkp

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 11:27 am
Yeah, well, lots of people could do lots of things. No sense cowering in fear because of it.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 11:33 am
If someone had a "small to medium" nuclear device and the ability to deliver it to a specific location (i.e. 400 miles up in the atmospere). The electro-magnetic pulse would be what we should worry about...

They would do a lot more damage and destroy a lot more lives just detonating it under 400 feet in a populated area.

Not only is the science bad... the premise is just silly.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 12:00 pm
It is silly, but the science is not bad. If such a device was detonated 200 miles above Kansas, it would knock out the electrical infrastructure in most all of the U.S., parts of Mexico and parts of Canada. Very highly unlikely to happen, but we have seen other things that we thought highly unlikely to happen.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 01:05 pm
I am skeptical of absolute statements like "it would knock out the electrical infrastructure in most all of the U.S....", so I did a little digging. I found a lot of plausible stuff about the use of EMP against militar targets.

I could find no credible data on how big the area of influence would be, or how severe the damage (i.e. how hard to fix).

I find it impossible to believe that if terrorists had a nuclear device and a delivery method that they would even consider an attack on our electrical grid.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 01:08 pm
Actually, my word would should have been could. It did not quite a difference to the intent.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 01:52 pm
A couple of sources on EMP

http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/library/report/1988/CM2.htm

http://www.airpower.maxwell.af.mil/airchronicles/kopp/apjemp.html

It appears that the biggest threat is to communications devices. Probably because they are designed to pick up electromagnetic signals already so would be most susceptable.
The threat to most other devices would greatly diminish the further you get from the blast.
0 Replies