Separation of Church and Military?!?

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 08:13 am
Only 'innappropriate'? Read on.

Air Force Academy Staff Found Promoting Religion

WASHINGTON, June 22 - An Air Force panel sent to investigate the religious climate at the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs found evidence that officers and faculty members periodically used their positions to promote their Christian beliefs and failed to accommodate the religious needs of non-Christian cadets, its leader said Wednesday

But the panel said it had found no "overt religious discrimination" - only "insensitivity" - and praised the academy leadership for working aggressively to confront religious problems in the last two years.

Lt. Gen. Roger A. Brady of the Air Force, who led the 16-member group, said in a news conference at the Pentagon that the academy and the Air Force as a whole were struggling to define the boundary between acceptable and unacceptable religious expression in a government institution, a reflection, he said, of a debate under way across the country.

"We believe that people were doing things that I think were inappropriate," General Brady said. "They had the best intentions toward the cadets. I think in some cases they were wrong."

He said his panel had referred seven cases of questionable behavior to the Air Force for further investigation but declined to elaborate.

Among the incidents highlighted in the report were fliers that advertised a screening of "The Passion of the Christ" at every seat in the dining hall, more than 250 people at the academy signing an annual Christmas message in the base newspaper that said that "Jesus Christ is the only real hope for the world" and an atheist student who was forbidden to organize a club for "Freethinkers."

The academy has 19 clubs for religious groups. Many of the clubs and educational programs are led by outsiders, some affiliated with ministries in Colorado Springs, the headquarters for many evangelical Christian organizations. The report recommended that the academy supervise those programs more closely because of complaints that some guest speakers had violated Air Force standards of religious respect.

The group found that several incidents widely covered by news organizations were overblown. The report said a chaplain who reportedly exhorted cadets in a worship service to tell their classmates to accept Christ or "burn in hell" was merely using language "not uncommon" for his Pentecostal denomination.

The academy is a highly selective institution that grooms 18- to 22-year-old cadets for careers as Air Force officers. The report states that of the 4,400 cadets surveyed last year, 85 percent were Christian, 2 percent were atheists , 1.5 percent were Jewish, 0.3 percent were Hindu, 0.4 percent were Muslim, and 9.3 percent gave no preference or identified themselves as "other."

The acting secretary of the Air Force, Michael L. Dominguez, appointed the panel on May 2 after more than a year of complaints about religious coercion.

The complaints culminated with a report sent to Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld by Americans United for the Separation of Church and State that documented accusations of coercion.

A chaplain at the academy, Capt. Melinda Morton, made public last month accusations that the religious problem at the academy was "pervasive."

Captain Morton had been on a team asked to draw up a program to promote religious tolerance. On Tuesday, she resigned from the Air Force saying that she did not believe her superiors genuinely wanted her to stay on to help resolve the problem.

The academy superintendent, Lt. Gen. John Rosa, speaking to reporters in Colorado Springs, compared the struggles over religion at the institution with an airplane crash.

"When you go back, everything becomes very obvious," General Rosa said. "But while you are flying the airplane, the kind of things that lead up to the accident are not very obvious."

General Rosa, who will leave this year to head the Citadel, the military college in Charleston, S.C., said the most recent cadet survey indicated that 92 percent of Christian cadets believed that the religious climate on the campus was acceptable, with 50 percent of non-Christians agreeing.

The commandant of cadets, Brig. Gen. Johnny A. Weida, came in for particular scrutiny by panel. He sent an academywide e-mail message to announce the National Day of Prayer, instructed cadets that they were "accountable to their God" and invented a call-and-response chant with the cadets that went, "Jesus ... Rocks."

An inspector general's report attached to the task force findings indicated that General Weida's case was among the seven referred to the Air Force command. The inspector general found no wrongdoing or misconduct by General Weida on six points. But it said that one problem, "the proselytization of non-Christian cadets," continued to be investigated.

General Weida issued a statement on Wednesday saying the academy had progressed in improving cadet life.

"If I could do the last two years over again with the benefit of hindsight," he said, "there are some things I would do differently."

The longtime head football coach, Fisher DeBerry, had until Wednesday responded defiantly in public to warnings from Air Force commanders that he had gone too far in linking his team to his Christian beliefs, praying with them in the locker room to the "Master Coach," and posting a banner saying "Team Jesus."

On Wednesday, he issued a statement saying that those actions had "crossed the line of acceptable practices."

Among the recommendations are that commanders should schedule operations with an eye to accommodating diverse religious holidays and rituals and develop curriculum to increase awareness and respect of different religious beliefs.

General Brady said the recommendations should apply to the entire Air Force, because many military installations quite likely had similar problems.

The reaction to the report was mixed.

"This is a decent start on a problem that must be remedied," Barry Lynn, executive director of Americans United for Separation of Church and State, said. "The good news is that the report makes it clear to anyone who reads it that this is a real problem, not some imagined witch hunt."

Representative Steve Israel, a New York Democrat on the House Armed Services Committee, said he wanted President Bush to create a commission on religion in the military.

"They go to excruciating pains to attempt to acknowledge a problem, but not acknowledge it too much," Mr. Israel said of the task force. "Is it a whitewash? No. But it does resemble milquetoast."

Focus on the Family, an evangelical ministry in Colorado Springs that had called criticism of the academy unjustified, said in a statement, "We fervently hope that this ridiculous bias of a few against the religion of a majority - Christianity - will now cease."

Can't link the Original - but it is from the New York Times today.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,042 • Replies: 18
No top replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 12:23 pm
the fundis are completely out of control.

i've really had enough of their jive. no problem at all with them practicing their religion in their personal lives or in their churches, but i for one want their "faith" out of my government and anything else i have to pay for.

saying so is not an attack on their beliefs. it is a response to their over arching attack on mine.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 03:25 pm
gee, haven't we learned yet that religious zealotry and airplanes really don't mix well?
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 07:33 pm
Wow - ^^^ THAT was funny.

BTW Fixed my typo in the title. oops...

TF
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 10:48 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:

i've really had enough of their jive. no problem at all with them practicing their religion in their personal lives or in their churches, but i for one want their "faith" out of my government and anything else i have to pay for.

saying so is not an attack on their beliefs. it is a response to their over arching attack on mine.

How has there been an attack on your beliefs?

As far as I know the only people under attack for religion are Christians and that is by people such as yourself and the ACLU.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 02:20 am
Baldimo wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:

As far as I know the only people under attack for religion are Christians and that is by people such as yourself and the ACLU.

And when you don't know very far, Baldimo, you should refrain from merely regurgitating talking points. It's people like you who have contributed greatly to the free flow of lies.

Seeking to uphold the law is not an attack on anyone's religion.

Governments should not provide financial support for established religions or for establishing religions. Government officials should not use their positions of power to proselytize. That is a harassment that no one should have to bear and no higher offical should tolerate.

Religion is something for an individual to exercise on their own or with like minded people.

Might I refer you to your own signature line?

"There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him."

This goes double for religion. Read, what the evangelicals want;

Quote:
Focus on the Family, an evangelical ministry in Colorado Springs that had called criticism of the academy unjustified, said in a statement, "We fervently hope that this ridiculous bias of a few against the religion of a majority - Christianity - will now cease."

They've got it completely ass-backward, but they too rely heavily on talking points that appeal to people of questionable intelligence.

The PROBLEM, which you've seen fit to read right over, [what's new eh?]is this,

Quote:
An Air Force panel sent to investigate the religious climate at the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs found evidence that officers and faculty members periodically used their positions to promote their Christian beliefs and failed to accommodate the religious needs of non-Christian cadets, its leader said Wednesday
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 03:18 am
JTT wrote:
Baldimo wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:

And when you don't know very far, Baldimo, you should refrain from merely regurgitating talking points. It's people like you who have contributed greatly to the free flow of lies.

Governments should not provide financial support for established religions or for establishing religions. Government officials should not use their positions of power to proselytize. That is a harassment that no one should have to bear and no higher offical should tolerate.

Religion is something for an individual to exercise on their own or with like minded people.

"There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him."

Quote:

They've got it completely ass-backward, but they too rely heavily on talking points that appeal to people of questionable intelligence.

Quote:
An Air Force panel sent to investigate the religious climate at the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs found evidence that officers and faculty members periodically used their positions to promote their Christian beliefs and failed to accommodate the religious needs of non-Christian cadets, its leader said Wednesday

Should we outlaw all military chaplains?
After all,they are being paid for and sponsored by the govt.

Should we outlaw both houses of Congress having their own OFFICIAL chaplains and the fact that they open EVERY session with a prayer?

Should we outlaw the words "in god we trust" as the motto of the US and eliminate it from all currency?

Should we outlaw the president,EVERY president,from ending every speech with the words "God bless America"?

Using your words..." but i for one want their "faith" out of my government and anything else i have to pay for",exactly how far do you want to take your view?
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 01:33 pm
mysteryman wrote:
JTT wrote:
Baldimo wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Should we outlaw all military chaplains?
After all,they are being paid for and sponsored by the govt.

Should we outlaw both houses of Congress having their own OFFICIAL chaplains and the fact that they open EVERY session with a prayer?

Should we outlaw the words "in god we trust" as the motto of the US and eliminate it from all currency?

Should we outlaw the president,EVERY president,from ending every speech with the words "God bless America"?

Using your words..." but i for one want their "faith" out of my government and anything else i have to pay for",exactly how far do you want to take your view?

mornin' mysteryman. howz things in my ol' kentucky home ?

since you quoted both baldi and jtt in your post, i'll use it as the place to respond.

if you back and read what i said, you'll note that i in no way want to remove religion from people's personal lives. wanna go to church once, twice, three times a week ? fine by me. rent space for a big tent revival ? have at it.

that's one of the many great things our founders intended for our new country. because america was not founded on a specific religion, but all religions were held to be inviolable. that protection extends conversely to those who choose to keep their faith privately or to not practice a religion at all.

to me, that seems like an arrangement that is fair to everyone.

the very religious, the privately religious and the non-religious can all go on their merry way.

where the arrangement breaks down is when people become discontented with the idea that other people are practicing not enough religion, the wrong religion or are bothered that another has no religion. (since this in no way limits their ability to practice, i don't really find a logical reason for being annoyed).

so what has happened is that there arises a campaign to bring folks around to "right thinking". more and more often they begin to talk about their faith outside of themselves, their homes and their places of worship. the monologue of "right thinking" starts appearing in unrelated conversation. in the workplace. on the street corner. and very often appears on your door step uninvited.

think about how you react when a person insists on prodding and cajoling you into agreement on any other issue;

"hey mystery, those u.k. wildcats are really the only game in town, right ?"

"aww they're okay. i'm more of a cardinals fan myself."

"what ?? mystery? haven't you heard that the wildcats are the only team that plays the game correctly ? the cardinals are never gonna make it to the champion's celebration."

"but i like the cardinals. i appreciate the way that they play..."

"well. you are wrong. i know the truth and that is that the wildcats are the only team that plays by the correct rules. i know it. and you should too. come with me to the pep rally and you'll see that we are right."

"no thanks. i'm pretty happy with the cards. it's okay if you like 'em though."

"well, all i can say mysteryman is; YOU ARE WRONG! and if you don't realize that, you will never get a seat at the champion's celebration. maybe if i read aloud from the wildcat playbook you will get it. also, i'll be coming over with a few other wildcats fans to help you see the error of your ways. it really is for your own good you know. i'd really miss you if you weren't at the champion's celebration. and you know, you won't be unless you see that the wildcats are really the only team that plays the game by the correct rules. just as a reminder of how badly you are in need of help, i'll put up this big sign that says "wildcats rule" on the city hall and court buildings. just to remind you that kentucky was founded on the wildcats playbook and not the lies of the cardinals playbook."

"also, i hear that the television networks have been running shows that go against the wildcats playbook. we don't like that. so those shows must be removed from our sight. and another thing...

"we want to change the motto of kentucky from "united we stand, divided we fall" to "let us be grateful to orlando smith."

after a moment, a dumbfounded mystery says; "uhh. but i like the cardinals, not the wildcats. why do i have to hear you yelling at me about the wildcats playbook and pledging my loyalty to orlando smith when he's not my coach ? "

"because, mysteryman, there are more of us wildcats fans."

mystery thinks for a minute, tries hard to understand, and then asks,"well, can't you just continue to be a wildcats fan, go to the games and be with your fellow wildcats fans? can't you simply change the channel when a cardinals game comes on television so your kids don't see it ? do you really need to tack up orlando's rules all over the place ? you seem to know them pretty well, i don't think you're going to forget them.

"can't you and your fellow wildcats fans be fulfilled reading orlando smith's words and playing basketball by his rules on your own and leave me and other cardinals fans and the people that don't like basketball alone ? wouldn't that be fair ? then we could all get along without yelling at each other... can you just do that ?"

the wildcats fan, looks mystery in the eye and says,"we could but we won't. because YOU ARE WRONG ! WE ARE THE MAJORITY and WE WANT IT OUR WAY ! KENTUCKY IS A WILDCATS STATE. ORLANDO SMITH SAID IT, I BELIEVE IT AND THAT SETTLES IT. PERIOD! "

stunned, mystery says "uhh. well, that doesn't really seem fair to the rest of us kentuckians"..

and in reply he gets, "YOU ARE ATTACKING FANS OF ORLANDO SMITH !!! WHY DO YOU HATE KENTUCKY ?!?!?! MAYBE YOU SHOULD LEAVE AND GO TO SOME UNHOLY STATE, like INDIANA !!!!"

as you can imagine, after a while you really, really get tired of the non-stop barrage of rhetoric and bullying and get to a point where you really just want the other guy to knock it off and go away

are ya getting my drift, guys ??
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 01:54 pm
I get your drift, but everyone, who's anyone knows Jim Boeheim is the real deal and Syracuse Orange is the only true team.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 01:57 pm
You and I don't agree on much, McG, but I am a fan of the Orange. (I used to live in Upstate NY and retain a loyalty to Syracuse, near to where I went to college...)

Jim Boeheim rules!
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 02:14 pm
McGentrix wrote:
I get your drift, but everyone, who's anyone knows Jim Boeheim is the real deal and Syracuse Orange is the only true team.

<sputtter. sputtteeerrrr. sputter!>

you're killin' me, bro...

Laughing
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 03:09 pm
kuvasz wrote:
gee, haven't we learned yet that religious zealotry and airplanes really don't mix well?

That was awfully cute, kuv.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 05:19 pm
DTOM,McG,
Sorry to both of you,but I'm an Aztec fan,now and forever.
There are no other teams in college sports.
Its the Aztecs and the Bruins of UCLA.
No other teams count...

DTOM,
Its not to bad here.
Of course,I still haven't gotten used to the humidity here.
I am from your current stomping grounds,San Diego to be exact.

Anyway,back to the subject we were discussing.
What I was trying to show was that to demand that the govt stop promoting,endorsing,or sponsoring religion is impossible.
There is religion intertwined into every facet of the Govt.
Besides the examples I gave,the USSC has the 10 commandments posted in their court.
IMHO,its rather hypocritical of them to claim that there is this mythical separation,yet they refuse to recognize it in their own courtroom.
With as much as religion is intertwined into our daily life,I don't believe its possible or logical to demand that it be excised from all govt functions or organizations.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 06:15 pm
mysteryman wrote:
DTOM,
Its not to bad here.
Of course,I still haven't gotten used to the humidity here.
I am from your current stomping grounds,San Diego to be exact.

it'll probably take a while for you to get used to the mugginess. we lived not too far from the river. man, it was like taking one long steam bath. it's just about the only thing i don't miss about the commonwealth.

hah. the first house i lived in out here was right across the street from nas miramar. sometimes ya thought those rocket jockeys were gonna come right through the living room. zzzooooooooommmmmmm! Laughing

okay, so i guess we're in understanding here.

it's not really that i dislike the simple religious presence such as nativity scenes and such. that doesn't bother me.

what does get me is the incessant nattering about values etc. why should non-christians or non-evangelicals have to stand there and be told that they have no character or they don't love and raise their children right.
an awful lot of people do just fine in the morals and ethics department without consulting the bible or koran over every detail of their life.

the worst bit is being told that you are going to hell. i don't believe in hell (although i've had a couple of jobs that fit the description), so that in itself i blow off easily. it's the intent of the words that i find really offensive.

most christians that i know understand about all of this and we get along just great.

but the falwells, robertsons, dobsons and randall terrys are really over the edge. what they want to achieve is antithesis to america. if we step back and look at what they are up to, it really is striking how similar their rhetoric is to the fundimental extremist mullahs.

i agree that it's pert near impossible to remove every single shread of religion from our government.

but we certainly keep watch that inappropriate use is not made of displays.

we can make sure that our rights and liberties are not curtailed by another person's religion. btw, i don't think that it is anyone's right to insist that their religious book replace the constitution or the books of law. similarly, if you want to pray at the beginning of the day at school. go ahead, it wont's bother me. just don't insist i join in. when i was in high school up in luavull, we had a "minute of silent meditation" in home room. it worked out great for everybody.

it is just really offensive to me, and others, to have people of a given religion pushing it on you and continuously badgering the elected officials with their narrow agendas.

that's exactly the kind of stuff america was intended to be free of. and having go on and on isn't doing anything good for the country.

awright then. keep cool. keep a lot of iced tea around and you'll be alright. :wink:
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 06:36 pm
JTT wrote:
Baldimo wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

I would really like to know how religion is being forced on you? I haven't seen it and I haven't experienced it either. Not being a Christian myself I would notice when it was forced on me. The only time I think it is trying to be forced is when my wife asks me to go to church on Sundays.

Please explain and try and leave the anti-religion rhetoric at the door. No talking points from the anti-Christian groups. I would like to hear a personal experience of the govt forcing religion on you.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 04:43 am
Baldimo wrote:

I would really like to know how religion is being forced on you? I haven't seen it and I haven't experienced it either. Not being a Christian myself I would notice when it was forced on me. The only time I think it is trying to be forced is when my wife asks me to go to church on Sundays.

Please explain and try and leave the anti-religion rhetoric at the door. No talking points from the anti-Christian groups. I would like to hear a personal experience of the govt forcing religion on you.

Here's a pretty good example, Baldimo.

Quote:

Jack's Death, His Choice

By NICHOLAS D. KRISTOF
Published: July 10, 2005
PORTLAND, Ore.

Jack Newbold is a 59-year-old retired tugboat captain who is dying of bone cancer. It's one of the most painful cancers, and he doesn't want to put his wife and 17-year-old daughter through the trauma of caring for him as he loses control over his body.

CONTINUED AT,

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/10/opinion/10Kristof.html?ex=1121227200&en=c5d14aad3027abfc&ei=5070
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 03:13 pm
JTT wrote:
Baldimo wrote:

Here's a pretty good example, Baldimo.

Quote:

Jack's Death, His Choice

By NICHOLAS D. KRISTOF
Published: July 10, 2005
PORTLAND, Ore.

Jack Newbold is a 59-year-old retired tugboat captain who is dying of bone cancer. It's one of the most painful cancers, and he doesn't want to put his wife and 17-year-old daughter through the trauma of caring for him as he loses control over his body.

CONTINUED AT,

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/10/opinion/10Kristof.html?ex=1121227200&en=c5d14aad3027abfc&ei=5070

How is this tied to religion? This has been going on since 1998 so there has been more then just Bush and his people standing against it. Try a little bit harder next time.

How has religion been forced down your throat? Please give me a personal example.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 04:30 pm
The notion that Christians are an oppressed group in this country amuses me. We've got a president who says that Christ is his favorite philosopher and makes it clear that he bases his world view on an interpretation of what Christianity is all about. Christians take over school boards (e.g., in Kansas) and require the teaching of "intelligent design" in schools. Lobbying groups that claim to represent Christians make noise about what kind of conservative should be in the Supreme Court. And so on.

Still, there's whining about how Christians are being treated unfairly. By who? The ACLU?
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 06:08 pm
Christian symbols around the US are being forced down by the ACLU, People for the American way of life, Americans United for Separation of Church and State, and most socialist/communist front groups (read peace groups such as ANSWER and the like).

You can't have a cross on a hill that has been there for 50 or more years but the people of Iowa can pay for a Muslim Summer Camp and the ACLU says nothing, but they will attack the Boy Scouts as a religious group and get them removed from parks and any other form of public land. Part of the California school system wanted to force students to study Islam to the point where they were going to have to take a Muslim name pray to Mecca and even name a Jihad all during class time. No word from the ACLU or other anti-Christian groups. I would call this an attack on Christianity.
0 Replies