JTT

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 11:42 pm
Re: flashpoint
wuxuanzheng wrote:
It's a dramatic flashpoint.
What does it mean?
For context, see http://abcasiapacific.com/englishbites/stories/s1387347.htm

Thanks

In this context, Wuxuanzheng, it appears to mean, "a place where an explosive event occurred".
0 Replies

wuxuanzheng

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 07:47 am
Thanks, JTT.
But generally what does flashpoint mean?
Is there a meaning of milestone?
0 Replies

Valpower

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 11:20 am
The flashpoint is the lowest temperature at which the vapor of a combustible liquid can be ignited in air. Used figuratively (more generally) it would indicate a moment where conditions are favorable for something explosive to happen.

Let's say there is an actor named Russell who has been known to fight when things don't go his way. Normally he is quite stable, but today he was trying to make a call to Australia, but it wouldn't go through. At this moment, you could say that Russell has reached his flashpoint. If one tiny thing upsets him now, he might throw the phone violently (an explosion, of sorts).

Your question, "Is there a meaning of milestone," is not easily understood because it is not a common construction. I believe you are asking whether flashpoint is similar in meaning to milestone to which I would say, not substantially.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 02:02 am
Valpower wrote:
Your question, "Is there a meaning of milestone," is not easily understood because it is not a common construction. I believe you are asking whether flashpoint is similar in meaning to milestone to which I would say, not substantially.

Thanks for the excellent description of 'flashpoint', Valpower. I couldn't have done as well meself.

I was a bit puzzled on 'milestone' too as it wasn't in the material at the quoted website though I expected it to be.

After that figurative flashpoint, eg. miners' rebellion/troops heavyhanded repression, wouldn't you agree that the event could become a milestone on the road to workers' rights?

Possibly, this is what Wuxuanzheng meant, Valpower?

Did you mean this, Wuxuanzheng?
0 Replies

Valpower

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 08:33 pm
JTT wrote:

Thanks for the excellent description of 'flashpoint', Valpower. I couldn't have done as well meself.

I was a bit puzzled on 'milestone' too as it wasn't in the material at the quoted website though I expected it to be.

After that figurative flashpoint, eg. miners' rebellion/troops heavyhanded repression, wouldn't you agree that the event could become a milestone on the road to workers' rights?

Possibly, this is what Wuxuanzheng meant, Valpower?

Did you mean this, Wuxuanzheng?

I'm flattered, JTT. I have to admit though, that I didn't read the post carefully the first time. I missed the link. Looking at it now, milestone or watershed would seem to fit better than flashpoint. The Eureka Stockade was itself explosive and what followed would have been explosive only in comparison to the typical speed at which bureacratic or legislative changes occur.
0 Replies