The UGH file!

msolga

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 06:20 am
So you've just seen a news article, cartoon or photograph that's left you shuddering/furious/repulsed/disgusted: Send it here!
Get it off your chest! Make the rust of us shudder with you! Laughing
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 972 • Replies: 6
No top replies

msolga

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 06:28 am
http://network.news.com.au/image/0,10114,5019316,00.jpg

Me first:
Here's Douglas Wood, recently rescued (sort of) Australian hostage from Iraq. Now he's here in Oz, praising Mr Howard & Mr Bush, selling his story to the commercial media & talking of maybe returning to Iraq because there are lots of $$$ to be made there! Erk!

Rolling Eyes

http://www.theage.com.au/news/iraq/wood-kisses-and-tells--for-400000/2005/06/20/1119250928422.html
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 07:52 am
<tie a yellow ribbon 'round the old oak tree...>

Canadian female sex killer to leave prison

Monday, June 20, 2005

JOLIETTE, Quebec (Reuters) -- Karla Homolka was a pretty, bright young
woman who helped drug, rape, torture and kill schoolgirls and even
presented her own teen-age sister to her boyfriend as a gift.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 08:00 am
Hmm - now people are saying he ought to use the money he is being paid to pay for the cost of his release. Media darling is a perilous niche.

Thing is - the poor fella had an awful time - and presumably the various governemnts who paid the troops want foreign investment, which I assume he represented in some way? And being kidnapped seems an occupational hazard for anyone in Iraq.

So I don't think the argument holds water.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 02:00 am
George wrote:
<tie a yellow ribbon 'round the old oak tree...>

Canadian female sex killer to leave prison

Monday, June 20, 2005

JOLIETTE, Quebec (Reuters) -- Karla Homolka was a pretty, bright young
woman who helped drug, rape, torture and kill schoolgirls and even
presented her own teen-age sister to her boyfriend as a gift.

George

If that article is accurate, what can you say? There was a similar, famous English case (from years & years ago) in which the female accomplice was locked away for years. This does look rather odd. Confused
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 02:26 am
dlowan wrote:
Hmm - now people are saying he ought to use the money he is being paid to pay for the cost of his release. Media darling is a perilous niche.

Thing is - the poor fella had an awful time - and presumably the various governemnts who paid the troops want foreign investment, which I assume he represented in some way? And being kidnapped seems an occupational hazard for anyone in Iraq.

So I don't think the argument holds water.

I beg to differ, Deb. (Not that I want to turn this thread into a debating forum. Rolling Eyes ) I'm sure Mr wood had an awful time. But hey, he was in Iraq to make top dollars & should have known the risks. The Oz govt. (read taxpayers) spent considerable amounts of money to secure his release. To no avail. Then, on release, Mr Woods turns into a promoter of the conservative Oz & US governments & their positions on Iraq. Why on earth was this necessary? Why not just say thank you to the Australian people (most of whom did not want our troops to be in Iraq in the first place!) & leave it at that? (Especially as he has not lived in Oz for a long time & appeared to be more of a US citizen these days) We didn't need his political message followed by an expensive media deal, too. Rolling Eyes And then when he suggested he might return to Iraq because of the business opportunities! Honestly! Rolling Eyes

I think Mr Wood came back to Australia so soon because a buck could be made from selling his story here. I doubt any other country was interested.

I like Mr Wood's brothers (what I've seen & heard of them in the media) a lot. Intelligent, compassionate people. As for Mr Woods himself - I don't like his values at all. He gives me the creeps.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 06:59 am
UGH, that Warnie! Rolling Eyes (You probably have to be Australian to get this.)

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2005/06/27/70warne5_gallery__550x399,0.jpgone.)
0 Replies