Keep the bars open, Dick.

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 03:11 pm
I read this today, and pooped my pants.

Dick Daley wants to close taverns. Did he forget that he's the mayor of CHICAGO?!!! Did he lose his ******* mind?!!! I know I'm about to lose mine.

It's bad enough that yuppie scum are pussifying historic neighborhoods like Wicker Park. But what the hell would Chicago be without its wonderful, wonderful taverns? Don't the millions of fat beer bellies rubbing up on you every time you step on the red line testify to Chicagoans' love for beer?

I love old, dark watering holes. I love cheap jukeboxes that only play Johnny Cash and Roger Miller, where old men in plaid pants fall off of their stools before sunset, old-timers who used to pimp mad hoes the way I pimped mad hoes in the back of Simon's on the love seat by the fake fireplace. I love wood paneling and PBR for a dollar-fifty.

Sadly though, it's the snobby piano bars and meathead sports bars that will remain. Daley says that bars cause littering? GARBAGE causes littering. Why don't we close grocery stores too, I saw a banana peel walking home from work this afternoon. More date rape goes on at Bar Louie than prostitution at any old dive in the city.

Come on, Dick, I mean Mr. Daley. I was looking forward to moving back to that Windy Wonderland on the lake, next summer.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 938 • Replies: 15
No top replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 03:15 pm
He's retarded. And mean too.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 03:20 pm
Tuman's Alcohol Abuse Center already closed. Damn it. All the damn Daleys have to go.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 03:27 pm
Does he have the authority to do this? Sounds appalling to me.

Citizens: If we let this happen in Chicago, it can happen next in your town!
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 03:36 pm
Maybe Daley, instead closing the bars, should work on tearing down the PROJECTS, and improving the south side ghetto that his daddy cleverly constructed.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 03:38 pm
Oh, there's a link to the article on the first line of my original post, explaining how the whole operation might work.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 03:43 pm
Right (now that I've read the article). I guess some places are a bit over the top. There were (and are) places like that in Seattle, but fewer all the time. The problem is that one person's smelly hell hole is someone else's beloved joint...

Though I suppose that too many shootings in a place may suggest legal action of some sort...
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 03:49 pm
That's retarded. I love pubs/casual bars, and here the new trend is more posh-like bars.

I can understand shutting down a bar if it really does cause trouble, but shutting it down because of a blue-collar image is gayer than Richard Simmons skipping down the street with a banana in his mouth.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 09:24 pm
Daley must be stopped, so far all of the dives I hang out at have been left untouched.

Gargamel if you are in the windy city next year I'll buy the first round of Shlitz.

At 8:00 in the morning.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 09:28 pm
sublime1 wrote:
Daley must be stopped, so far all of the dives I hang out at have been left untouched.

Gargamel if you are in the windy city next year I'll buy the first round of Shlitz.

This is the kind of fellow who sould be elected to office.
The world would be a better place.

sublime1 that is...
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 01:50 am
sublime1 wrote:

It must be great to live in a civilised country where you can go for a drink at 8am if it suits you. We are still treated like children and told by arse head politicians that we cant have a drink till noon, which isnt much good if you are coming home from work at 7.30am
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 05:05 am
When I worked shifts, in particular nights, there were a few early openers here. One opened for the fruit and vegetable market at about 0300, some opened about 0730 (finishing a week of nights at 0730 Friday and not back at work until 1500 it was just right). Now it's 24 hours, 7 days if a pub wants to trade around the clock - and plenty do.

Gargame1 your first post had a lovely ring of Kerouac about it, reminded me of his descriptions of his favourite bars in New York City (hope that doesn't offend Chicagoans).
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 05:12 am
As i no longer take strong drink, this does not matter personally to me, now. However, from the suburban Shalamar Lounge to some piss-smelling Irish shabeen-cum-pub near Chicago Circle, many's the low, stinking dive in the Windy City in which i have regaled myself.

Maybe someone should anonymously send a copy of that article to Dickie-boy, with a photograph of Anton Cermak in Miama attached to it. I'm sure even he could make the connection.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 05:17 am
For those of you unfamiliar with Chicago history, i'll give you a hint:

http://www.graveyards.com/bohemian/cermak.jpg

Luxury accomodations provided for Mayor Cermak by his dear friends, Frank Nitti and Al Capone.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 11:20 am
Sublime: I'll take you up on that offer.

Don1: Didn't realize the bars there don't open until noon. I remember when I was visiting London and York, it seemed far more acceptable to have a pint or two in the daytime that it is in the USA. I may be wrong, but folks seemed to meet up in the pub at like 1pm the way Americans meet at coffeeshops--I thought that was cool. But tell some people here that you're getting a drink before sunset, and they'll ask you what's wrong, if you're having relationship problems or a drinking problem. Well, I'm exaggeratting...a little.

Goodfielder: Yeah, the beats were a big influence on me in college. I can't seem to shake it, not that I want to.

Sentanta: let's hope what remains of the mafia can weild their influence for a good cause (alcohol) once again.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 11:43 am
The mob still controls alcohol sales in the east and midwest. Who do you think owns all the distributorships?
0 Replies