NOT meeting the parents...your opinions PLEASE!

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 11:30 am
I'm frustrated (once again!) and was hoping to get some outside opinions. My boyfriend of 5 months and I were talking about flying me to California for a week in July to meet his family and see "his element." We lightly toyed around w/ the idea for a few weeks, and finally had a big talk about it last night. I personally, would LOVE to go...I am dying to meet his family, and take our relationship to the next step w/ this. When we talked, while he told me he wanted me to go, I could tell he was hesitant about something. He explained that he really wants to see me in his element b/c "I dont truly know him 100 percent until I see him happy in California." However, on the flip side, his parents dont know a whole about me or "us" b/c he feels too awkward discussing these types of things w/ his parents. Evidently, it's always been an "off limits" topic for them. So, his parents would be assuming that our relationship is possibly alot serious and something that it's not (and I wouldn't blame them...he isn't spilling, but he's bring his girlfriend across country for what they think is to meet the family). However, I'm getting the impression he would want to take me more to see California than to see his family. I told him that California and his parents will be around for a while and that the timing of this needs to be right. If he isn't 100 percent into this, it's going to be a fiasco, b/c I'll be looking to him for support while I'm out there! So, we decided I shouldn't go...and I think it's a good decision, b/c if he wasn't ready, it would end up being an awkward mess. However, he's frustrated b/c he feels he's damned if he does, damned if he doesnt...and he's RIGHT! While it would be a mess for me to go, in a way, not having me go is hurting our relationship too! He told me that "he wants our relationship to progress, but he knows he's taking a step back w/ this, and he's afraid this is going to make me take three steps back." WELL YEAH! I feel disappointed, and completely rejected. I've opened up myself and my family to him, and he's not reciprocating! He's right...my natural defense mechansims are kicking in and they ARE telling me to take "three steps back". What do you all think? Sad
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 750 • Replies: 4
No top replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 12:14 pm
My 2 Cents

If he wants you to see California more than to see his parents means he wants you to know him better more than to "move one step further".

I wouldn't be too concerned about parents. I was when I was dating my wife, and she did not want me to meet her family at the time. She had sound reasons for it, I realized later.
I only saw her father once before he died, and met her family members practically one at the time. It was wise of her (and she has a lovely family).
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 12:21 pm
this meeting the parents step is a big one for women i think, more so than men. it is possible he wants you to go on a vacation with him to see california and not have the stress of meeting his parents hanging over what he wants to be an awesome time for you both.

on the flip side, i understand your natural reaction to him "not letting you meet his parents" the best thing to remember is that men are very different from women. to continue to be open and honest is the most important, and really drill down to what exactly upsets you about him not taking you to meet his parents.

are you afraid this means that he isn't as serious about it as you are? or do you think he ashamed of you for some reason? really expressing to each other how this situation is making you feel is important. but you have to also listen to why he doesn't want to take teh time to meet his parents and try to understand it from his point of view. it might just be simple-he wants to have a good time with you in california and not complicate the vacation by seeing his parents, which may have nothing to do with you...they might be demanding of his time while you are there and then he woudln't be free to show you all of the things he wants you to see.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 12:22 pm
He isn't ready to take that next step, and can you blame him after only 5 months? Perhaps you could take it slow for him, let him know you aren't pushing and tell him you want to go to Cali to see Cali. Parents completly optional. If he decides to take you to meet them while you are there, great! But if he doesn't, you will know he wants to take this relationship farther but isn't quite ready for the parents thing.
0 Replies

Amanda2113

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 04:05 pm
Bella Dea, I totally see your point...yes, it has only been 5 months...I guess I just got the impression that things were progressing nicely, and that this step seemed reasonable for us. Unfortunately, if we had gone to Cali together, we would have stayed with his parents...that's the primary reason he is going, is to go home to visit them...I would have just been tagging along.

Dragon, Your input was very helpful...I was at work and needed to let him know everything, so I layed it all out in a nice long email. I told him exactly why I was upset, etc etc. When we talked though, he just kept reinforcing that its too awkward for him to talk to his parents about relationships and he doesn't want them filling in the blanks. After I poured my heart out, I was kinda upset that this was all he had to say...and then he said that most guys would have enough of this and ask to drop it. At this point we ended our conversation...and I just texted him saying that he's right, we ought to drop it and that its not worth it, I'm sorry.

So now, not only did I feel not as loved as I thought I was, but also I feel I'm letting myself be walked over. It's just that we've been fighting a lot lately and I thought the sake of our relationship was more important than this (even though I think he ought to care a little more since I'm so upset about it.)

Am I completley overreacting?? I guess I'm just taking this really personal.
0 Replies