News Coverage of Iraq. How Fair Is Your Deal?

fbaezer

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 12:00 pm
Last night, as war started, I juggled between TV stations, trying to get the best information-analysis.

I have limited cable service. So besides the Mexican networks, I only get CNN, Univision, American Network (a mix of the 3 historical networks), and TVE (Spain, public) as news sources.

I found, to my surprise, that the most complete coverage was from one of the Mexican networks (Televisa), and, to my dismay, that both CNN and American Network gave what obviously seems, to a trained person, filtered information, with Spanish government's network in-between.

As for analysis, while the Mexican networks invited interesting experts, from all over the world (in one round table, they had a Greek, a Dutch, an American and a Mexican), on CNN I found mostly that those interviewed were mostly retired US generals.

I understand that, when a country is at war, focus must be put on the own side. But I have the feeling many Americans will be missing important news. And I don't know about the other parts of the world.

Do you agree? Do you think you are getting a fair news deal?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 8,373 • Replies: 104
No top replies

au1929

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 12:38 pm
I just turned it off . Enough is enough. The news media particularly TV have almost turned it into a football game. Having all the elements. the action as it happens, with announcers and analysts. Example, there is a flash, look at the tracers, I hear a blast in the distance that is the play by play announcer. This Is General Cockamamie, he is going to explain to you what we will do and what the enemy will do etc,etc,etc. He may even tell you who will win the super bowl and why. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 06:41 pm
Great allegory, au. Thanks.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 06:52 pm
I don't watch the news. I scan the internet and listen to NPR.
0 Replies

Eve

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 01:43 am
I'm with you au1929. If I wanted to watch bombs falling all day I would go and live in Iraq.
I am refusing to watch any more of it than my usual evening news hour - our coverage has the feel of a three ring circus, as though it is all being staged just for our entertainment.
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 02:22 am
Reporters marching to Bagdad in the trail of the troops. They are limited what to say and are obliged to make it a good news show. All the big news networks are a joke!

I read magazines, newspapers or the internet. TV has done it for me! They are an extension of the propaganda! Or do you really belief the Iraqi shoot and miss and the US forces shoot and kill?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 02:26 am
Oh - I had been foolish enough to hope that, after the shame of the news coverage of Gulf war I, the networks might not make it into a giant video game - it seems I am wrong.

I generally trust the Australian Broadcasting Corporation's material - especially Radio National - and this is where I get most of my news. I expect that the coverage and analysis will be as fair as possible. I also use net sources to add to this.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 02:28 am
All of the above!
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 07:37 am
some 60 journalists have already been thrown out of the program for co-opting the troops by revealing too much information. There is also news that up north, embeds are dropping out of the program like flies, unable to hack the tough life the Marines are currently living in the desert.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 07:49 am
What, frolic you mean our lean mean press corps cannot sustain life as Marines!!!!
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 08:24 am
There is something wrong with the news we get from Iraq.

Reports say there has been some stiff resistance and fighting in various areas in the south. And we dont get any info on casualties. Fierce fighting=> only two marines shot dead? Can someone explain that to me. It is sad that people have to die but we have the right to know how many already died for a another man's cause.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 09:12 am
frolic
What is your problem? Aren't two American deaths enough for you?
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 09:19 am
Every dead soldier(US, UK, Iraq,...) is sad news.

But like i said. How do you match "heavy fighting" with "Two marines died in combat". My point is that we dont get the entire truth about the war in Iraq.
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2003 10:34 am
Iraqi TV has broadcast pictures of at least four dead American soldiers and several prisoners. CNN is saying they dont want to broadcast those pictures because this a violation of the Geneva Convention. US Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld also said the Iraqi television footage was a violation of the Geneva Convention

My question, and what about the pictures of Iraqi POW? CNN broadcasted these, why make a diference between American and Iraqi POW? And how was this a violation of the Geneva Convention?
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 05:37 am
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 05:25 pm
A brief review of Mexican pictures in the front page, 3/24:

Newspaper 1. A British soldier firing a missile; the 5 faces of American POWs.
Newspaper 2. An old Iraqi man carrying a wounded Iraqi boy in the city of Basra.
Newspaper 3. An image from Al-Jazeera TV, the body of an American soldier in a landscape of palm trees.
Newspaper 4. American soldiers in their trenches near Umm Qasr. Three pictures of dead American soldiers, shown in a room by Al-Jazeera.
Newspaper 5. Coalition soldiers landing in Iraq; destroyed buildings in Baghdad; a massive peace march in Rome
Newspaper 6. An old Iraqi man carrying a dead girl (about 8) in Basra.
Newspaper 7. British soldier firing missile. (Same image as Newspaper 1)
Newspaper 8. A dead American soldier: image of Al-Jazeera; the faces of the 5 POWs.

What were the main pictures in your country's newspapers?

What do you think of the U.S. Secretary of Defense reccomending networks not to show the interrogation of P.O.Ws?
Three minutes after the Mexican TV's correspondent in Baghdad described with astonishment what he was watching on TV, I changed to CNN and read, in the "newsbar" that the Centcom denied any capture of American soldiers.
A few minutes later, we were able to see those heartbraking scenes, without any supervised editing.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 05:56 pm
Interesting, fbaezer.

I have to say, I really appreciate getting an international perspective. I trust the NYT, and get what I can online (BBC and occasionally Al-Jazeera), but am happy to get the kind of info provided by the post above.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 06:20 pm
You know there is another thread on this topic? It's at http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5530

Sozobe, Al-Jazeera online? I surfed to al-jazeera.com but its in arabic, do they have a site with english, french or german language info too?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 06:33 pm
fbaezer wrote:
A brief review of Mexican pictures in the front page, [..] What were the main pictures in your country's newspapers?

Interesting. Here's what the five Dutch papers have on their homepages:

Telegraaf: Paper: "Sensitive losses US". Pictures of surrendering Iraqi soldiers and faces of each American POW.
Online: "Troops 100 km from Bagdad". Map of advance US troops and picture of face American POW.
Volkskrant: "US start battle for Bagdad". Picture of British tank destroying mural of Saddam.
NRC: "Bagdad again under fire. UN and Red Cross warn for disaster in Basra." Same picture of British tank.
AD: "Bagdad in sight". Picture of wounded soldier on a stretcher in the sand.
Trouw: "Heavy reistance around Iraqi cities". Picture of American soldier with machine gun.
Parool: "Bagdad in sight, resistance tougher" (no pic)
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 06:44 pm
And here's what's on the homepage of five of the main German papers now:

Bild: "Have a heart! Help the children of the war" (picture of baby with breathing machine)
Sueddeutsche: "Alliance awaits battle with Saddam's elite troops" (picture of marching US soldiers)
Welt: "Americans and Brits count with longer war" (picture of anti-aircraft fire in Bagdad)
Frankfurter Rundschau: "Allied troops go around embattled cities" (picture of celebrating Iraqis in front of helicopter they shot down)
Frankfurter Allgemeine: "Troops powering on to Bagdad" (picture of British tank again).
Tagesspiegel: "New air attacks on Bagdad" (undefinable picture of something in nightsky; US POW further down)
0 Replies