Does anyone know what graffiti means in Italain

ossobuco

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 07:02 pm
So, wait, are you saying that my dictionary's showing that graffito in italian means graffiti in english is not really correct, that graffiti = graffiti in both languages?

Or to try to be clearer, one drawing is a graffito, and several drawings scrawled on an urban wall are graffiti...

or, a graphito in italian is a drawing made up of markings called graffiti?

Ay yi yi.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 08:03 pm
Graffiti is obviously plural of graffito, osso.

One graffito, several graffiti.

Spaghetti is the plural of spaghetto (piccolo spago; small wheat ear).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 10:45 pm
yes, obviously, but not in my new Larousse dizionario.

(I pulled my old paperback Mondidori from the trash and graffiti wasn't a word in there...)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 10:49 pm
Not to entirely knock the dictionary, but I am
trying to remember why I bought that. It was the best for the least money at the time, at Borders.

I have memories of looking at the italian section in UCLA bookstore, which had varied useful choices.

My fave dictionaries are old paperbacks, which tend to go on and on re certain words.
0 Replies

Raphillon

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 06:04 am
ossobuco wrote:
Grazie, Raphillon..

You are welcome Smile

Quote:
0 Replies

Raphillon

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 06:13 am
ossobuco wrote:
Not to entirely knock the dictionary, but I am
trying to remember why I bought that. It was the best for the least money at the time, at Borders.

I have memories of looking at the italian section in UCLA bookstore, which had varied useful choices.

My fave dictionaries are old paperbacks, which tend to go on and on re certain words.

"Graffito" is not a very common word, Ossobuco, usually it is replaced by "Disegno", "Pittura", "Dipinto" and several others. The plural is a little more common, but not very common either. No need to knock your dictionary for this Smile
0 Replies

jenniejen

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 03:21 pm
Wow, all this writing in Italian. I wish I new how to do that. I'm Italian and I can't even speak it. Laughing :wink:
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 09:24 pm
Jennie, we have a few threads going on this subject.

Some folks here speak italian as italians, raphillon being immediately at hand but also luccas (sorry, I know the spelling is wrong) and others.

And then there is Francis, who is French but speaks italian quite well, and Fbaezer, who lives in Mexico City but spend a lot of time in his ribald youth in italy.

Kickycan is taking classes recently, and is probably up to his fourth class,

and me, I took seven italian classes around 1990, to almost no avail except that I am now friends with my italian teacher, unteachable though I am.

We don't mind errors - I don't think - it is a chance for those of us who are stupid in italian to think about things, and a chance for those who are smarter in italian to share it.
0 Replies