I need some help with an essay please!

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2005 09:58 am
Hello everyone. I have to write my first essay for school.My teacher gave me a list of topics.here they are. 1. types of people you like (or dislike) 2. Types of people on a crowded bus or in a library or supermarket or a concert 3.types of friends 4.kinds of compliments 5.kinds of dishonesty 6.kinds of teachers or parents 7.kinds of success 8.students in a particular class 9.clothing in your closet.

I'm really not sure which topic to choose yet.I really want to do a good job on this, but Im just a little lost.I dont know where to start.

I know I need a set, scheme, classes, and significance.Can anyone give me any tips, idears,or help please.

thanks Jen Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,934 • Replies: 22
No top replies

Charli

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2005 07:48 pm
Try the five W's
Try the five W's - What (or Who), Where, When, Why, and hoW.

For example: friends. Who are these people? Where did you become acquainted with them? When was that? Why are they your friends? How have they changed your life, way of thinking, etc.? Expand each sentence to a small paragraph. Add an introduction - maybe why you chose this topic. Then, a conclusion . . . What their friendship means to you . . . and you have an essay. Get back to us here with the topic you've chosen. That selection is the first step. Good wishes and happy writing! The more you do it, the easier it becomes.
[/color]
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2005 08:48 pm
Your teacher has instructed you to use set, scheme... Could you describe the assignment?

What does "set" mean? "Scheme"?--->Outline? Thesis? These words throw me.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2005 08:51 pm
I'm sleepy. Going to bed. Leave some type of explanation of those words set, scheme, classes and significance and what she wants from you in addition to the topics--and I'll be glad to help.
0 Replies

jenniejen

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 12:34 pm
Hi.sorry that I didnt get back sooner.I really dont understand either.I have a paper here that he gave me.

SET: Any set which is to be classified must share a common characteristic or be able to be distinguished from things outside the set.Biology classifies living organisms(non-living organisms lie outside the set).Students, dirty little pets, vacation spots,friends,and other generic nouns can serve as a set to be classified.

SCHEME: A scheme is the quality, standard,type, or function by which the elements of the set are sorted into classes,that is, the principles of selection for creating the groups.Geologists sort rocks into igneous, sedimantary, and metamorphic rocks, a classification based on how the rocks were formed.In order for the classification scheme to be effictive,it must be a significant,important, relevant, or valuable way to understand the set of things under consideration.

CLASSAS: In general when writing about each class, begin with an explanation of the characteristic which identifies the members of one class and differentiates the members of that class from the members of another class. Then include representative examples of the class. Biologists often make reference to ways in which members of a class are differentiated from members of other classes. For these reasons, classification will often include description, narration,definition,example, and comparison contrast.

An essay on student might contain the following elements:
SET: Students
Scheme: Intensity( or degree )of interest in school
Classes: Absent,Board, Interested

One more point needs to be made. The essay should indicate the significance,value,Relevance, or importance of the classification scheme or What you, the writer trying to point out.

My teacher wants five paragraphs.In the first paragraph where the set goes he wants a thesis statement.In the last sentance of first paragraph.He also wants the topic sentence,as the first sentence of each paragraph.

The assignment
Directions: You are to write a classification essay( at least 5 paragraphs long)
1. an introductory paragraph, complete with an attention- getting opening and a thesis statement;

2. a body containing at least three paragraphs, each of which begins with a topic sentence that presents one part of the thesis statement and presents specific details of support;

3. clear links (transitions) between paragraphs and within paragraphs;

4. and a concludind paragraph that stresses the significance of your thesis.
0 Replies

jenniejen

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 01:13 pm
I think my topic will be types of people I like. Very Happy

This is what I have so far.
SET: types of people I like
SCHEME:loving, good hearted
CLASSES:polite, genorious,caring
SIG:if everyone in this world was loving and good hearted towards one another, this world would be a better place.

Am I on the right track.Someone please help. Confused
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 08:21 pm
In my humble opinion . . .
IMHO - You have the right idea. Be sure you use the Spell-Check before you hand in your paper. Also, watch the punctuation: at least one space after a colon, a period, and a comma. Some people put two spaces after colons and periods. Be careful with word usage. Many words sound alike - such as, board and bored. (I think the correct one above - in Classes - should have been "bored.") Good luck! Smile [/color]
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 08:28 pm
jenniejen--

I like your choices! Your classes fit nicely within your scheme--and your topic sentence conveys such a lovely thought!

I'd like to see your drafts, if you are interested in suggestions.

Good luck dear!

Will you use some friends as examples?
0 Replies

jenniejen

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 09:49 pm
Very Happy
Thankyou. I will get back to you tomorrow with the drafts
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 09:53 pm
Take your time, dear. I'm a old tired woman. Very Happy
0 Replies

jenniejen

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 02:04 pm
Do you guys think this is a good thesis sentence.
People who are caring,have good manners ,and generous are the best people to be around.I am having trouble with my thesis sentence.Does anyone know how to write a thesis sentence.what is a way to do the.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 02:21 pm
Your statement should sum up your entire essay one sentence, two if absolutly necessary.

What you have is half of a thesis statment.

"People who are caring, have good manners, and are generous are the best people to be around" because...
put the why in.

A thesis statement makes a discussion. It makes a stand (your opinion) and it is specific.

Bad Thesis: There are many positive elements of owning a dog.

Good Thesis: Owing a dog has been shown to increase life span, decrease stress and combat lonliness in the owner.

Understand?
0 Replies

Valpower

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 02:42 pm
First, let me remind you of Charli's recommendation to use a spellchecker. I urge you to use it as frequently as you can. You have numerous misspellings that, because of their consistency, are not likely to be just typos. I know you're probably going to tell me that this is just a casual forum, that when good spelling is required for a grade you'll get down to business, and, that I should stop being so uptight, but I'll respond with an old sports maxim: you play like you practice. There is a spellchecker for posts on this forum. Start now!

Your thesis meets the requirements for a thesis but may be too broad and subjective to be supportable. For whom are these caring, well-mannered, and generous people the best? (Not this curmudgeon!) Best in terms of what? If you make your thesis more specific and objective, you'll have a better chance of actually supporting it in the body of the essay.

Consider the following:
...are the best people to be around. [Broad and subjective]
...are the best people for me to be around. [Broad but less subjective]
...are the most uplifting people for me to be around. [Less broad and less subjective]
...will keep me from going on a three-state killing spree this afternoon. [Very specific and highly objective]
0 Replies

jenniejen

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 03:53 pm
How about
People who are caring, have good manners, and generous are the best people to be around because they keep me in a very pleasant mood.
Can anyone give me a reason why?

My teacher wants this as the last sentence of the first paragraph.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 06:01 pm
jenniejen wrote:
Hi.sorry that I didnt get back sooner.I really dont understand either.I have a paper here that he gave me.

SET: Any set which is to be classified must share a common characteristic or be able to be distinguished from things outside the set.Biology classifies living organisms(non-living organisms lie outside the set).Students, dirty little pets, vacation spots,friends,and other generic nouns can serve as a set to be classified.

SCHEME: A scheme is the quality, standard,type, or function by which the elements of the set are sorted into classes,that is, the principles of selection for creating the groups.Geologists sort rocks into igneous, sedimantary, and metamorphic rocks, a classification based on how the rocks were formed.In order for the classification scheme to be effictive,it must be a significant,important, relevant, or valuable way to understand the set of things under consideration.

CLASSAS: In general when writing about each class, begin with an explanation of the characteristic which identifies the members of one class and differentiates the members of that class from the members of another class. Then include representative examples of the class. Biologists often make reference to ways in which members of a class are differentiated from members of other classes. For these reasons, classification will often include description, narration,definition,example, and comparison contrast.

An essay on student might contain the following elements:
SET: Students

One more point needs to be made. The essay should indicate the significance,value,Relevance, or importance of the classification scheme or What you, the writer trying to point out.

My teacher wants five paragraphs.In the first paragraph where the set goes he wants a thesis statement.In the last sentance of first paragraph.He also wants the topic sentence,as the first sentence of each paragraph.

The assignment
Directions: You are to write a classification essay( at least 5 paragraphs long)
1. an introductory paragraph, complete with an attention- getting opening and a thesis statement;

2. a body containing at least three paragraphs, each of which begins with a topic sentence that presents one part of the thesis statement and presents specific details of support;

3. clear links (transitions) between paragraphs and within paragraphs;

4. and a concludind paragraph that stresses the significance of your thesis.

This is complicated. First, let's privately curse your instructor... <curse curse>

OK-- notes about first paragraph-->an introductory paragraph, complete with an attention- getting opening and a thesis statement -- In the first paragraph where the set goes he wants a thesis statement. -- SET: Students

Note to self--I don't think we have a good differentation between scheme and classes.

People who are caring, have good manners, and generous are the best people to be around because they keep me in a very pleasant mood.
Can anyone give me a reason why?

-------------------
How about-
set -- what I expect from my friends
scheme -- personality traits I find appealing
classes -- good mannered, generous, caring...

I think you want to benefit from those traits, wouldn't you say?

"In my relationships, I want to know I am cared for; that my friends will be generous with me, and that I can count on them to behave in the same well-mannered way I treat them. These things are important to me, and I look for these traits in my potential friends."

That sentence--if we can call it that--is awful, but it may give you an idea of what your thesis sentence may be like.

eye opener-- (an example)

I was stranded in the rain last night. I'd lost my pocketbook and only had one quarter for the pay phone. Of course, I called my best friend, Buffy. I was so relieved when she answered the phone! I told her I was stranded and used my only quarter to call her. She only lived a couple of miles away. "Please come get me!!" I asked her. "You have got to be kidding!" she said. "I'm not going out in the rain, and besides, I'm watching The O.C.!" She hung up. At that moment, a car sped by and splashed me. This didn't happen to me, and it never will. My friends are generous, caring and well-mannered, because those traits are very important to me. I treat my friends with generosity, caring and in a well-mannered way, and I expect no less from them.

The rain story was the first thing that popped into my head... You could use a party and you were needing a friend for something that involved generosity or caring... There are a million little scenarios you could use.

What do you think?

(Still having problems with set and scheme...)
0 Replies

jenniejen

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 07:15 pm
Thanks for the help. Very Happy

Hey Lash those are some very good examples.thank you very much Very Happy
0 Replies

jenniejen

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 03:26 pm
Well thank you everyone for the tips and helping me out.I handed in me essay today, and when I get it back tomorrow I will post it. Does anyone know If I have a scanner, can I just scan it onto this thread somehow.
0 Replies

Valpower

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 03:38 pm
jenniejen wrote:
Well thank you everyone for the tips and helping me out.I handed in me essay today, and when I get it back tomorrow I will post it. Does anyone know If I have a scanner, can I just scan it onto this thread somehow.

In order to post it as editable text, you would have to scan it with OCR (optical character recognition) software that converts the image into text (unpredictably with cheaper versions). Posting it as an image file (jpg, gif) is not likely to yield good results.
0 Replies

jenniejen

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 06:42 pm
Valpower wrote:
jenniejen wrote:

In order to post it as editable text, you would have to scan it with OCR (optical character recognition) software that converts the image into text (unpredictably with cheaper versions). Posting it as an image file (jpg, gif) is not likely to yield good results.

O.k. I will just have to type it out. Smile
Another question.
How do I post images on here. I want to post pictures from internet.Can we do that here?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 06:46 pm
I think this should work. (Its how I do it.)

Right click the image.
Click Properties.
Cut and copy the url listed on the Properties page.
Insert that url in our IMG box; you should see it when you hit Post Reply.

God, that sounds confusing.
0 Replies