Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 10:44 am
Today, I made a contribution to a local organization that is
providing financial assistance to families whose primary income
earner was called to active military duty. Many of these military
families are hurting financially because of the military service in
the War against Iraq.

If you want to help military service families, you may wish to learn
of similar support groups in your area. You not only help the
families, but help the morale of those serving in uniform.

BumbleBeeBoogie
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,167 • Replies: 8
No top replies

roger

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 10:50 am
Fabulous idea, BBB. Even I could come up with something, if I knew where to go. I would insist on a local organization, though. I seem to remember problems with the Red Cross getting their donations where they were intended after 9/11. Any ideas on who might be sponsoring such a program.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 11:05 am
family assistance sources
Roger, I learn of my local group on my local television news broadcast. You might try calling your local TV stations or your local newspapers. They probably know of any assistance groups in your area.

BBB
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 05:54 pm
Other way to help our troops
The following courtesy of BuzzCook:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/columnists/sfl-
mayo18mar18,0,1432781.column?coll=sfla%2Dnews%2Dcol

"You figure a country that is so capricious about waging a war would at least have the decency to adequately provide for the 300,000 troops that are doing the dirty work. You figure a military that boasts about its expensive toys would make sure the little things were covered. You figure a Pentagon that could spend $200,000 on a fancy set on which to conduct its news briefings wouldn't put the squeeze on the Charmin."

If you know a soldier in Middle East, you can send care packages through them. The military won't allow general delevery packages to "any soldier". Along with toilet paper and wet wipes you could send any or all of the following, tooth paste and brushes, shaveing cream and disposable razors, soap and shampoo.

Local charities and churches have also been involved in sending care
packages to our men and women in the gulf. you might want to check
with them.

Buzzcook
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 08:11 pm
Give blood. Wars are big users of whole blood and plasma products. Might even save some Iraqi children and let them enjoy democracy.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 08:21 pm
Good idea, Mr Stillwater.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 08:34 pm
This is a good way to help the troops I have worked as a volunteer for this group and they are a good and reliable way to contribute.

Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society

http://www.navstanorva.navy.mil/navsta5.gif
0 Replies

edithdoll

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 12:10 pm
Hi all, quick digression -- My friend's husband is a marine in Iraq, he called 3/24 to say he got his package she sent a month ago. She has sent several since, but they are all being routed via CA and sent on ships. There are the problems with the mines, etc. and he is no longer in a camp -- But she's still sending them.

The USO is also sending care packages to the American troops overseas as well, you can donate to them for this service:

http://www.usocares.org/home

Thanks Joanne for the link I will check it out.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 02:50 pm
Phone cards--suitable for international calling--are most welcome. The Red Cross promises that any checks for "Red Cross--Phone cards for the troops" will be used for that purpose only.

With so many reservists called to the war, there are many families without a man to take down the storm window and put up the screens and do other heavy house and garden chores.

Frequently reservist pay is much lower than civilian pay and the kids of the men and women who are fighting in the Middle East could use some unexpected treats.
0 Replies