Resolution to pull out of Iraq by 2006 - lead by Republican

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 08:36 pm
Setanta wrote:
Absolutely no part of your feeble analogy works, Brandon. The world is not a community in the sense of a discrete society with a police force. In such metaphorical terms, military action constitutes policing exactly to the same extent that a vigilante mob constitutes policing. We are not the world's cop. The world has not asked us to perform that function. When we act in that capacity without wide support, we are justifiably criticized. When we act in that capacity on the basis of what is in the kindest construction badly informed intelligence, and in the worst, outright lies, we are justifiably condemned.

Everyone here is by now familiar with your paranoia about terrorism which verges on the irrational. Don't expect us to buy a simplistic analogy to the police which does not anywhere parallel the realities of the Iraq War.

You are objecting to an analogy I wasn't making. Of course, it's easier for you that way. My point is only about how to deal with a threat that is probabilistic in nature. As I have said before, the relevant factors are

(1) What is the probability that the threat is present?
(2) If the threat is present what are the consequences?
(3) What is the cost of resolving the threat?

As must have been obvious, I was not comparing policework to the purpose of the US military. If a policeman frisks someone he is in proximity to upon probably cause, and the person turns out to have no weapon, it doesn't even remotely mean that the policeman shouldn't have done it, even though the presence of the gun on the suspect was only a possibility.

The rest of your post is mere name calling. You say, "Everyone knows you're a nut. This frees me from the burden of defending my viewpoint." Such a response is merely a forfeit.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 08:43 pm
And don't forget; to bring democracy to the ME. Such ignorant goals even after having changed their justifications for our invasion so many times; none are justified. After all this carnage, some people still think "it's worth it."
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 08:48 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
And don't forget; to bring democracy to the ME. Such ignorant goals even after having changed their justifications for our invasion so many times; none are justified. After all this carnage, some people still think "it's worth it."

Someday, perhaps, we will be in essentially the same situation again, with a person like Hussein, who has some significant probability, but not a certainty, of having WMD development programs. And perhaps, because of the efforts of you and people like you, Bush, or whoever is president, will just let it slide and rely on the UN or some other ineffective form of wishful thinking. And if this time the dictator in question is developing WMD, and the environment you are creating allows him to finish the development, the resulting carnage will spell the last time anyone listens to arguments like yours.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 08:58 pm
Brandon, You're making assumptions about how future presidents will determine the possession of WMDs and their eminent use. As for WMD development programs, there are several now with a capability to deliver them to the west coast of the US (that's what the experts tell us) - with certainty that Bush has done nothing to stop. You keep forgetting that we had UN inspectors in Iraq to find those non-existing WMDs. Bush's big stick no longer works.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 09:13 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
You are objecting to an analogy I wasn't making. Of course, it's easier for you that way.

That is patently false, whether or not you are willing to admit it, because:

Earlier, Brandon wrote:
If a policeman frisks a suspect and finds he doesn't have a gun this time, how is that a fiasco? For all the cop knows, he had the gun 60 seconds before he saw the cop coming. And even if that isn't true, failure to frisk suspects being arrested will certainly cause the cop's death at some point. And please don't triumphantly point out parts of the metaphor that aren't parallel. The point, of course, relates to investigating lethal possibilities with some significant probability of being true.

This is your policeman analogy. I was responding to that.

Quote:
My point is only about how to deal with a threat that is probabilistic in nature. As I have said before, the relevant factors are

As you have never been privy to the intelligence sources upon which the Shrub and his forty theives have based their dirty little war, you are hardly in a position to make absolute statements about the probability of threat, yet you have done so time and again in these fora. The report of the September 11th Commission details the attempt of Wolfowitz to implicate Iraq on September 12th, 2001. That was dismissed by Rice and Rumsfeld. Subsequently, memoranda have been obtained in England which show that the administration, having invaded Afghanistan with widespread and justifiable international support, then began casting about for ways to justify an invasion of Iraq. From early in 2002, legal experts in England consulted by Blair expressed their doubt about the legality of such an invasion, and pointed out that the increased bombing of Iraq was illegal, and a very transparent precursor to war.

Your points two and three above are irrelevant in view of the complete lack of the ability to reliably allege the threat for which the assessment is called in your point one. In the absence of a reliable delivery system for weapons of mass destruction, Iraq was no threat. In the absence of contacts with international terrorists willing to attempt to smuggle such weapons into the United States, Iraq was no threat. It has been established since the invasion that Iraq did not possess the weapons alluded to in the run-up to the war, and that there was no evidence of cooperation with al Qaeda which could reasonably suggest Iraq would supply them with weapons of mass production. Of course, as they had none, they could not have supplied them if they had been so inclined.

To use your policeman frisking a suspect analogy is ludicrous. Our action is, in the metaphor you attempted to construct, the equivalent of getting an anonymous tip, and using that as an excuse to kick in someone's door and beat them and their family senseless, and then to acknowledge that the threat didn't exist--and then contend that the head of the household was abusive, and the entire action was taken to protect the people who have been beaten senseless.

Quote:
As must have been obvious, I was not comparing policework to the purpose of the US military.

How odd of you to say that--to what were you comparing police work?

Quote:
If a policeman frisks someone he is in proximity to upon probably cause, and the person turns out to have no weapon, it doesn't even remotely mean that the policeman shouldn't have done it, even though the presence of the gun on the suspect was only a possibility.

You repeat your feeble analogy--the UN inspections were the equivalent of frisking a suspect. As i've pointed out, the invasion was the equivalent of kicking in someone's door on an anonymous tip, the information from which subsequently proves to have been false. You assume the probable cause without demonstrating it.

Quote:
The rest of your post is mere name calling. You say, "Everyone knows you're a nut.

This is patently a lie on your part. I did not refer to you as "a nut." What i pointed out can be found throughout these fora--to repeat myself, and quote myself to demonstrate that i indulged in no name calling, i wrote: "your paranoia about terrorism which verges on the irrational." That is an assessment of what you have written many times about terrorism and the threat it poses to us. You might disagree with it, but nothing about it warrants your description of it as name calling. In fact, you use that ploy to accomplish what you further accuse me of doing:

Quote:
"This frees me from the burden of defending my viewpoint."

Yes, claiming that i have referred to you as "a nut" when i have not done so is an attempt on your part to free yourself from supporting your opinion. Claiming that i have manufactured the analogy of yours which i criticized when i am able to quote your analogy is an attempt on your part to free yourself from supporting your analogy.

At another site which i have visited for many years, longer than this site has existed, there is a common saying in use: attack the idea, not the person. I made no personal attacks on you--i most definitely did attack the expression of your ideas. Get over it.

Quote:
Such a response is merely a forfeit.

If that were so, one wonders why you went to such trouble to respond.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 09:53 pm
Setanta wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
You are objecting to an analogy I wasn't making. Of course, it's easier for you that way.

That is patently false, whether or not you are willing to admit it, because:

Earlier, Brandon wrote:
If a policeman frisks a suspect and finds he doesn't have a gun this time, how is that a fiasco? For all the cop knows, he had the gun 60 seconds before he saw the cop coming. And even if that isn't true, failure to frisk suspects being arrested will certainly cause the cop's death at some point. And please don't triumphantly point out parts of the metaphor that aren't parallel. The point, of course, relates to investigating lethal possibilities with some significant probability of being true.

This is your policeman analogy. I was responding to that.

Your original response stated that my analogy was untenable in part because we are not the world's cops. I had not suggested that we were or should be. My only point in making the policeman analogy was to discuss a familiar situation with a threat that is probabilistic in nature. The same logic applies to both the policman frisking a suspect and our invasion of Iraq. One must respond to probable cause if the threat in question is highly lethal when present.

Setanta wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
My point is only about how to deal with a threat that is probabilistic in nature. As I have said before, the relevant factors are

As you have never been privy to the intelligence sources upon which the Shrub and his forty theives have based their dirty little war, you are hardly in a position to make absolute statements about the probability of threat, yet you have done so time and again in these fora. The report of the September 11th Commission details the attempt of Wolfowitz to implicate Iraq on September 12th, 2001. That was dismissed by Rice and Rumsfeld. Subsequently, memoranda have been obtained in England which show that the administration, having invaded Afghanistan with widespread and justifiable international support, then began casting about for ways to justify an invasion of Iraq. From early in 2002, legal experts in England consulted by Blair expressed their doubt about the legality of such an invasion, and pointed out that the increased bombing of Iraq was illegal, and a very transparent precursor to war.

I wasn't even talking about that stuff. I was responding to a few previous posts at least one of which stated the common liberal logical error that we shouldn't have invaded Iraq because when we did we found no WMD. I was disproving that feeble brained assertion.

Setanta wrote:
Your points two and three above are irrelevant in view of the complete lack of the ability to reliably allege the threat for which the assessment is called in your point one.

Not at all. If we knew only that the odds were in, say, the .2 to .9 range that Hussein had merely moved his WMD and development programs further underground, then we would have to look at my points 2 and 3 to complete the calculation. Your continuing suggestion on these boards that the threat of WMD in Hussein's hands did not warrant really serious action on our part is sadly mistaken. And if you plan on pointing out that those weren't your precise words, just save it.

Setanta wrote:
In the absence of a reliable delivery system for weapons of mass destruction, Iraq was no threat. In the absence of contacts with international terrorists willing to attempt to smuggle such weapons into the United States, Iraq was no threat. It has been established since the invasion that Iraq did not possess the weapons alluded to in the run-up to the war, and that there was no evidence of cooperation with al Qaeda which could reasonably suggest Iraq would supply them with weapons of mass production. Of course, as they had none, they could not have supplied them if they had been so inclined.

Nah,if Hussein needed someone to bring a few WMD into western cities, then he could have spent the next year or two increasing his ties to terrorists. Maybe he could have just hired them. Maybe he could have simply used Iraqi-Americans. If he had really been determined to smuggle a few WMD in, he could have done it, and we would have been unlikely to have stopped him.

Setanta wrote:
To use your policeman frisking a suspect analogy is ludicrous. Our action is, in the metaphor you attempted to construct, the equivalent of getting an anonymous tip, and using that as an excuse to kick in someone's door and beat them and their family senseless, and then to acknowledge that the threat didn't exist--and then contend that the head of the household was abusive, and the entire action was taken to protect the people who have been beaten senseless.

Twelve years of trying to get the guy to disarm and prove it, with him even denying the inspectors access at times, and so on, is hardly equivalent to an anonymous tip that some upstanding citizen is a criminal. Now you're just being silly.

Setanta wrote:
Quote:
As must have been obvious, I was not comparing policework to the purpose of the US military.

How odd of you to say that--to what were you comparing police work?

I was giving a familiar example, generally understood by my audience here, of a sensible response to a threat that is just a possibility, but possibly lethal if true. If you find it amusing to claim that I was saying the US military ought to be used like police, go ahead, but I wasn't.

Setanta wrote:
Quote:
If a policeman frisks someone he is in proximity to upon probably cause, and the person turns out to have no weapon, it doesn't even remotely mean that the policeman shouldn't have done it, even though the presence of the gun on the suspect was only a possibility.

You repeat your feeble analogy--the UN inspections were the equivalent of frisking a suspect. As i've pointed out, the invasion was the equivalent of kicking in someone's door on an anonymous tip, the information from which subsequently proves to have been false. You assume the probable cause without demonstrating it.

Since Hussein had had WMD, had lied about them, had deceived the inspectors before, and persistently refused to furnish real proof that the weapons were gone, there was probable cause. The policeman analogy is intended to demonstrate only one idea, that checking for a lethal threat and not finding it doesn't mean one shouldn't have checked.

Setanta wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
The rest of your post is mere name calling. You say, "Everyone knows you're a nut.

This is patently a lie on your part. I did not refer to you as "a nut."...Yes, claiming that i have referred to you as "a nut" when i have not done so is an attempt on your part to free yourself from supporting your opinion.

It's close enough. A well known paranoid, a nut, it's close enough. Pointing out that you didn't mouth those very words exactly doesn't prove your point. My response was valid. Stating that one's debating opponent is well known for responding to an issue irrationally is usually an attempt to escape from the burden of debating him point by point.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 11:03 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Your original response stated that my analogy was untenable in part because we are not the world's cops.

You did not make such a point, you simply stated that i was objecting to an anology you weren't making. You were indeed claiming our military action to be analogous to the actions of police--in that case, it is unfortunate that you did not anticipate the criticism that we are not the worlds' cops--but that doesn't invalidate such a criticism.

Quote:
I had not suggested that we were or should be.

That is nugatory--if you compare the actions of the American military to the actions of police, you leave yourself open to this valid criticism.

Quote:
Twelve years of trying to get the guy to disarm and prove it, with him even denying the inspectors access at times, and so on, is hardly equivalent to an anonymous tip that some upstanding citizen is a criminal. Now you're just being silly.

You've almost got that right--you're only error is that you are the one advancing a silly argument. There were not twelve continuous years of United States threat of invasion lest Hussein disarm and prove it. The inspections regime was only ended a few years before the Shrub decided to invade come hell or high water. A reasonable person, a manner in which i would not characterize the Shrub, would have exploited the opportunity present to make the inspects regime effective upon the resumption. But that was never the Shrub's intent. It is now well known that his intent to invade Iraq was present even before his election in 2000. It is well known and has been for many years that the intent to establish military bases in southwest Asia has been a goal of PNAC since 1997, and Cheney, Rumsfelt and Wolfowitz, among many other of the usual suspects in this administration, were founding members of that organization.

I haven't characterized either Iraq in general or the Ba'atists in particular as "upstanding citizens," so that although this may seem to work in favor of your attempt to characterize my argument as silly, it actually only further exposes the silliness and disingenuous characterization embodied in your failed attempt at analogy.

Quote:
I was giving a familiar example, generally understood by my audience here, of a sensible response to a threat that is just a possibility, but possibly lethal if true. If you find it amusing to claim that I was saying the US military ought to be used like police, go ahead, but I wasn't.

Denying the justification of the use of the American military as police in an international situation after having made such an analogy does not change that you have done so, nor reduce the falsity of the analogy.

Quote:
Since Hussein had had WMD, had lied about them, had deceived the inspectors before, and persistently refused to furnish real proof that the weapons were gone, there was probable cause. The policeman analogy is intended to demonstrate only one idea, that checking for a lethal threat and not finding it doesn't mean one shouldn't have checked.

Saddam had not lied about having had weapons of mass destruction, nor deceived the inspectors--he had obstructed them in their efforts, and later expelled them. I find it hilarious that you contend he be capable of proving the non-existence of something, as you so frequently ridicule such a contention by others in threads relating to scientific topics. As i have pointed out, the policeman analogy fails because we are not the world's police, because an invasion is the equivalent of assault and not frisking, and most importantly, because there was no probable cause for the assault and search procedure.

Quote:
It's close enough. A well known paranoid, a nut, it's close enough. Pointing out that you didn't mouth those very words exactly doesn't prove your point.

No, it's not close at all. I have not described you as "a well-known paranoid." I have specifically and clearly pointed to your characterizations of the threat of terrorism as a paranoia verging on the irrational. That is not a comment on your personality, it is a comment on your expressed opinions with regard to a single subject. That it offends you to have your expressed opinions characterized in that manner is unfortunate; but does not warrant a claim that i have described you as a nut, or a paranoid, or in any way made a personal attack on you. Therefore:

Quote:
My response was valid. Stating that one's debating opponent is well known for responding to an issue irrationally is usually an attempt to escape from the burden of debating him point by point.

--is specious in the extreme. It is not valid to attempt to hide behind a false allegation of personal attack. I have taken what you've written point for point, and clearly stated what i find false in your analogy. Your standard of proof in scientific threads is very high, as applied to those with whom you disagree. In a political discussion, apparently, your standard sinks to ground level, in the attempt to crawl out from under what precisely is a point by point criticism of your stated position. You'd laugh to scorn anyone in a scientific debate who could do no better than this.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 06:10 am
The entire purpose of Brandon's posts in this thread is to justify Bush's Iraq incursion by saying that actually finding WMD's is not necessary for the war to be justified-only a probability based on his reports is necessary.

Public support is finally waning for the Iraq war, so Brandon is here to say that the actually existence of WMD's is irrelevant-only a 25% or so possiblility that they ever existed is reason enough.

Forget all the lies and deception you leaders told you-a long as the possiblity was something over 20%, there is nothing wrong with the war. And we might have to do the same thing again soon, according to Brandon.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 06:16 am
We had a valid "search warrant" to go into Iraq and search for WMD and remove the regine for flagerant violations of the cease fire agreement from Gulf 1. That was the mission.

The mission was accomplished MONTHS AGE and on that day, our troops shaould have been removed.

Any politician who NOW calls for troop removal is looking for headlines and should be dismissed as a tout.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 06:20 am
Setanta wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

...I find it hilarious that you contend he be capable of proving the non-existence of something, as you so frequently ridicule such a contention by others in threads relating to scientific topics.

Well, on my way to work this morning, this one just leaps out at me. You're forgetting that he would have been the one who destroyed the weapons, and that he had signed a treaty requiring that he verifiably destroy them. Therefore, he ought to have destroyed them in such a way that he could prove it. For instance, he might have videotaped their destruction and been able to indicate some area in the desert where the remains were buried and could be inspected. So what's "hilarious" about him being asked to prove that they have been destroyed?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 06:24 am
kelticwizard wrote:
The entire purpose of Brandon's posts in this thread is to justify Bush's Iraq incursion by saying that actually finding WMD's is not necessary for the war to be justified-only a probability based on his reports is necessary.

Public support is finally waning for the Iraq war, so Brandon is here to say that the actually existence of WMD's is irrelevant-only a 25% or so possiblility that they ever existed is reason enough.

Forget all the lies and deception you leaders told you-a long as the possiblity was something over 20%, there is nothing wrong with the war. And we might have to do the same thing again soon, according to Brandon.

I didn't need my leaders to tell me that Iraq might not have destroyed all its WMD or kept development facilities intact but hidden. Even just our twelve year history with Hussein and his obstruction of inspections was enough to make that reasonably likely. If the probability is, yes even 20%, that someone like Hussein has weapons so powerful that a single one could wipe out a city, and if talking nice or talking tough doesn't resolve the issue, nonetheless, it must be resolved.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 06:24 am
What is hilarious is the locution: "furnish real proof that the weapons were gone"--of course now, you have once again modified your statment, as you attempted to do with your failed policeman analogy. Keep workin' at it Brandon, you might eventually come up with a statement which is worth defending--although i doubt it.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 06:32 am
Setanta wrote:
What is hilarious is the locution: "furnish real proof that the weapons were gone"--of course now, you have once again modified your statment, as you attempted to do with your failed policeman analogy. Keep workin' at it Brandon, you might eventually come up with a statement which is worth defending--although i doubt it.

How is that hilarious? A videotape of their destruction and the availability of their remains would have constituted such proof, and been quite possible for him to supply, had he wished to satisfy the requirement to disarm verifiably. You say it's funny that he be asked to prove a negative, but it would have been easy.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 06:34 am
What amazes me is America's willingness to claim an entire foriegn policy based on 'Do what I say, not what I do.'

We ignore previous pacts to downsize our nuclear arsenal - yet we want the world to dissarm (saying they are madmen when we are the only ones to have ever used that particular weapon - on an enemy that was desperately trying to surrender).

We demand that other countries forgive African debt when we will only forgive our debt if Africa only uses American vendors in the future (essentially mega rich windfall).

We tell the world that we are hunting down terrorists - but we pick and choose our terrorists by what natural resources we want from them. (Saudi Arabia for instance) And we cannot even call Sudan genocide because it would mean our intervention.

With this said and the ability to go on for days on the topic - how we treat other countries and thier WMD's should be somewhat consistent with how we treat ours - unless we are so totally convinced that our egocentric, hubris filled, bull **** conception of 'we good - they evil' has so pervaded our souls that we cannot see around it.

TTF
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 06:37 am
thethinkfactory wrote:
What amazes me is America's willingness to claim an entire foriegn policy based on 'Do what I say, not what I do.'

We ignore previous pacts to downsize our nuclear arsenal - yet we want the world to dissarm (saying they are madmen when we are the only ones to have ever used that particular weapon - on an enemy that was desperately trying to surrender).

We demand that other countries forgive African debt when we will only forgive our debt if Africa only uses American vendors in the future (essentially mega rich windfall).

We tell the world that we are hunting down terrorists - but we pick and choose our terrorists by what natural resources we want from them. (Saudi Arabia for instance) And we cannot even call Sudan genocide because it would mean our intervention.

With this said and the ability to go on for days on the topic - how we treat other countries and thier WMD's should be somewhat consistent with how we treat ours - unless we are so totally convinced that our egocentric, hubris filled, bull **** conception of 'we good - they evil' has so pervaded our souls that we cannot see around it.

TTF

Our position is both correct and self-consistent. Of all the entities who will seek WMD in the coming years, only a few of the world's worst dictators may not have them.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 06:39 am
woiyo wrote:
We had a valid "search warrant" to go into Iraq and search for WMD and remove the regine for flagerant violations of the cease fire agreement from Gulf 1. That was the mission.

I don't want to quibble, becase you are calling for troop withdrawal, so this is something of an argument of a moot point. (Actually, I dont even know if I favor immediate troop withdrawal at this stage).

But while the UN did make resolutions calling for Saddam's removal, they never gave the final go ahead.

There were UN inspectors on the gound in Iraq and Bush ordered them out prior to invasion.

So Bush had UN approval to prepare to go in, but never got the final go-ahead. Bush took that upon himself. And he also took it upon himself to order the UN inspectors out.

Looking back, I think we can see why he told the inspectors to leave. He had a good idea that they probably weren't going to find anything, and he wouldn't be able to invade.

Look at it from Bush's angle. Here he and his cohorts in the administration had been lying for months about the WMD's, and the oh-so-compliant press had let him build up the notion that unless we invade Iraq RIGHT NOW, clouds of poison gas were going to be enveloping whole states or water supplies were going to be contaminated. The country was in a state of virtual hysteria, the voices of reason or caution were being accused of having their head in the sand-or worse-and the whole country was all primed and ready to go.

Think Bush is going to wait around while the inspectors show that there probably were no WMD's after all? Don't be silly. He got the country right where he wanted it, ready to invade. He wasn't going to worry about facts at a time like this.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 06:39 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
How is that hilarious? A videotape of their destruction and the availability of their remains would have constituted such proof, and been quite possible for him to supply, had he wished to satisfy the requirement to disarm verifiably. You say it's funny that he be asked to prove a negative, but it would have been easy.

No, it would only have been easy for him to use such a means (and a highly dubious one) to demonstrate that he had acted to create the void--he could not have proven the void once it existed--as i've said, keep trying to edit your statement until it works, but don't expect much from the process.

Your "20%" remark is ludicrous in the extreme. Many, many, many nations in the world possess weapons of mass destruction, and/or the capacity to produce them. What they lack which assures their safety, for the time being, is a plausible delivery system, and the will and demonstrable intent to use them on us. Most pointedly, however, when one looks at an example such as North Korea--which has the weapons, the delivery system, the will and possibly the intent--what is lacking is the second largest proven oil reserves on the planet.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 06:46 am
Setanta wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

No, it would only have been easy for him to use such a means (and a highly dubious one) to demonstrate that he had acted to create the void--he could not have proven the void once it existed--as i've said, keep trying to edit your statement until it works, but don't expect much from the process.

Practically speaking, he could have given good proof that he had destroyed them, but he did not. To have expected this from him was sensible, not hilarious. The fact that he would be proving that an action was taken to end their existence, and that their remains are there to see, and not directly, in some logical sense, proving that they do not exist is irrelevant and a discussion of it is off topic.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 06:53 am
He didn't have to show the destruction of the chemical weapons.

For all the hoopla surrounding them, chemical weapons have an expiration date-a time after which they are no longer dangerous.

Of course, our press did not emphasize that point. Instead, they kept on letting the administration go on and on about how all the records showing the destruction of the chemical weapons had to be produced, etc etc. The records were moot-the chemical weapons were no longer effective.

I came across an official report, right on the internet, from the first Gulf War in 1991 where the report said that they were thinking of going into a certain place to clean out the chemical weapons, but since the weapons were due to expire in a few months anyway, it might not even be worth it. And this was from 1991!

All this harping on how Saddam didn't produce records for the destruction of the chemical weapons-and the weapons had been useless since 1992.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 06:57 am
"But while the UN did make resolutions calling for Saddam's removal, they never gave the final go ahead.

There were UN inspectors on the gound in Iraq and Bush ordered them out prior to invasion. "

There go ahead was not and will never be needed when the defense of America is at stake. Our foreign policy and nation defense, must NEVER EVER be decided by anyone but an American. The UN validated our actions by passing those resolutions. What good is a resolution if not backed up by some event and not "resolved"? For too many years, the UN and their "inspector" went "strolling" around and ignored the issue.

PS: I am NOT calling for troop removal. I have CALLED for troop removal months ago.
0 Replies