Harping On Abu Ghraib and Gitmo is Highly Misguided

revel

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2005 06:25 am
Since WW11 there have been rules and laws added to clearly define how we are treat prisoners captured during wars. We have just chosen to ignore them by having obscure definitions and treatment as it suits us.

http://www.abanet.org/irr/hr/winter03/detention.html

Quote:
Despite claiming to respect the Geneva Conventions, the Bush administration has refused to acknowledge the Guantanamo Bay detainees' POW status; instead it has assigned them an obscure legal status. As Secretary of Defense Rumsfeld stated, they are "unlawful combatants . . . technically, unlawful combatants do not have any rights under the Geneva Convention."

This obscure and undefined term has no legal status under the Geneva Conventions but facilitates the administration's claims that the detainees are not protected under the Third 1949 Convention. Even though substantial evidence supports the detainees' POW status, the administration refuses to convene competent tribunals to resolve the question. At the same time, the Bush administration has successfully argued in U.S. courts that U.S. law does not protect the detainees because they are not on U.S. soil. This leaves the detainees in a legal limbo with access to only those protections the administration decides apply.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2005 06:29 am
Tico -

1) I agree, that, if indeed we did know that they were terrorists, they would be terrorists, and certain rights of thiers, perhaps even thier right to life could be suspended.

2) #1 could only be true in the case of Gitmo if we were infallible in our evidence gathering as humans. Because we are not we hold trials to 'prove' within what humans are capable of judging (reasonable doubt must be aside).

2a) We know 2 to be false merely by seeing that some gitmo detainees have been released. This proves that these detainees were not guilty nor could be found guilty in any court of law.

3) Even when arrested, in cases of civil courts and military courts, arrestees are given MORE rights that most not arestees are not given. (Right to trial, free councel, keeping silent, and the like - this differs a bit in the military - but not enough to say that thier rights are suspended).

4) What, in effect the interpretation of 'enemy combatant' has done is suspend all of these rights and claim that by simply arresting these people we have perfect knowledge that they have done something bad enough to warrant detention indefinitely and right suspension.

5) #4 is unamerican, unconstitutional, immoral, and goes beyond any epistemological claim ever before made by an institution in America.

6) #5 is true simply because we are allowing lawyers to make a sophistic style argument that is not interested in the truth - merely advantage.

Brandon:

I think your consistent references to WWII soldiers is off base. I do not remember American citizens being a part of the POW's detained. I do recall treason and sedition charges being leveled against American citizens thus affording them with the Constitutional rights they are deserving as being American's and as our constitution states being human and creatures of God.

I cannot understand your support of this. Furthermore, as a party I do not understand the republican's support of any law, legislation, or policy that in effect suspends all rights as given to them at birth by a creator many of this party not only claims to belive in but are the basis of the laws of America. Atleast the Democrats have the supposed shelter of being the 'godless party'.

Bush, in effect, if you believe as Christians do, and Bush is, has suspended God's laws by not allowing humans to have any rights. These are unalienable - I don't understand why we seem so willing to suspend them. (Hubris?)

Now, before you dismiss me as too dramatic (and I get all carried away) if these detainees are guilty in a military court or civil court - then punish them to the FULLEST. It is time to 'render unto ceasar what is ceasars' one might say. If this person is found guilty by a court that he is guilt of killing others, he may, and perhaps should forfit his life in reparations for this crime(s).

TF
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2005 06:32 am
Revel,

Thanks for the term update. I had been saying enemy combatant - unlawful combatant is what I meant by this.

Jason
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2005 07:37 am
Quote:

ICRC hits back at US Senate report, saying it's part of smear campaign

GENEVA, June 17 (AFP) - The head of the International Committee of the Red Cross hit back at a report by US Republican senators, saying it aimed to discredit the humanitarian organization by spreading false accusations.

The report -- entitled "Are US Interests Disserved by the International Committee of the Red Cross?" -- was published Monday.

While it said the ICRC "deserves praise and recognition" for helping save American lives during two world wars and for delivering relief to hundreds of thousands of people around the world, it also contained a string of charges against the organisation.

The ICRC should be called to account for working against US interests and seeking to boost protection for terrorists, it said.

"The report's purpose appears to be to discredit the ICRC by putting forward false allegations and unsubstantiated accusations," said ICRC president Jakob Kellenberger.

The ICRC is the guardian of the Geneva Conventions on the protection of prisoners of war and civilians hit by conflict.

As such, its staff regularly visit prisoners held by the US military in Iraq, as well as the hundreds of suspected terrorists in custody at the US naval facility in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

Kellenberger and other top ICRC members have also met with senior US officials, including President George W. Bush.

"The US government and the ICRC have good and trustful relations," said Kellenberger.

"The ICRC is not -- and does not feel -- above criticism and is open to constructive dialogue with those who have different opinions. However, dialogue does not appear to be the primary objective of the authors of the (report)."

The ICRC has a longstanding tradition of confidentiality, but extracts from its reports criticizing the treatment of prisoners in Iraq and Guantanamo emerged in the press last year, provoking the ire of US conservatives.

The Senate report claims that the ICRC set out to "inaccurately and unfairly accuse the US of not adhering to the Geneva Conventions."

CONTINUED AT,

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20050617/pl_afp/icrcuscriticism

I came across this article today where the US Senate is criticizing the Red Cross "for working against US interests and seeking to boost protection for terrorists".

Always, why is it always "US interests" that are so important. This theme runs thru a great deal of what America does and it serves as one of the main reasons that people around the world view the US with such disdain.

Every country has its own interests at heart; that's to be expected, but ...

The facts clearly show that the USA is the least altruistic nation in the world among "first world" nations; a large measure of what they provide in aid has, as its motive, base self interest. And yet the constant propaganda goes out touting the USA as a giant when it comes to generosity.

A really interesting portion of this article is to be found in this quote;

"The Senate report claims that the ICRC set out to "inaccurately and unfairly accuse the US of not adhering to the Geneva Conventions."

REALLY? "inaccurately and unfairly" !!

And yet we have this quote from a posting in this thread by Revel which states,

http://www.abanet.org/irr/hr/winter03/detention.html

Quote:

Despite claiming to respect the Geneva Conventions, the Bush administration has refused to acknowledge the Guantanamo Bay detainees' POW status; instead it has assigned them an obscure legal status. [/size]

As Secretary of Defense Rumsfeld stated[/u], they are "unlawful combatants . . . technically, unlawful combatants do not have any rights under the Geneva Convention."

This obscure and undefined term has no legal status under the Geneva Conventions but facilitates the administration's claims that the detainees are not protected under the Third 1949 Convention. Even though substantial evidence supports the detainees' POW status, the administration refuses to convene competent tribunals to resolve the question.

At the same time, the Bush administration has successfully argued in U.S. courts that U.S. law does not protect the detainees because they are not on U.S. soil. This leaves the detainees in a legal limbo with access to only those protections the administration decides apply.

Another very interesting portion of the above article notes that the Red Cross's criticism of an obvious illegal and immoral prison system has provoked provoked "the ire of US conservatives".

That speaks volumes about the veracity of this senate gobbledegook? Just keep that old propaganda machine revved up, keep it spitting out any old nonsense, even when it's blatantly contradictory.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2005 07:50 am
Quote:

Despite claiming to respect the Geneva Conventions, the Bush administration has refused to acknowledge the Guantanamo Bay detainees' POW status; instead it has assigned them an obscure legal status.

They're not POWs; they're terrorists. And Geneva conventions do not apply to terrorists or spies and the like. The normal means of treating spies and terrorists has always been to get any information you can out of them, and then either kill them or somehow use them as trade goods. That's universal; it's always been that way, everywhere. Anything better than that, including the treatment that the AlQuaeda terrorist a$$holes are receiving in Guantanimo, is better than they deserve.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2005 07:53 am
Quote:

The ignorance of one voter in a democracy impairs the security of all - John F Kennedy

How about the ignorance of fifty million voters who actually voted for the gigolo/shyster tandem of Kerry and Edwards?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2005 08:32 am
Here's another prime example of the selfish "us first and last" nonsense that is policy number one. The hypocrisy is so astounding!

See the video at,

http://www.crooksandliars.com/

entitled, "The Bolton Scream".

Watch Bolton get spittle all over his moustache and the desk in front of him.

CAUTION: FLOOR OF THIS THREAD MAY HAVE SOME PARTS COVERED IN SNAKE OIL.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2005 08:45 am
It was hard deciding where to put this, but since most discussions always seem to end up pointing out conservative hypocrisy, this is as good a spot as any, I guess.

Anyway, it's pretty funny.

Quote:
0 Replies

pinchehoto

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2005 09:20 am
thethinkfactory wrote:
pinchehoto wrote:

Justice or Protection?

Ok, Mr. President, let them go. And after you have let go the people that our best intelligence agencies have deemed the most statistically likely to conduct the next attack, you better have a good explaination if they ever do conduct an attack. You are responsible for the lives of you countrymen as well as their liberty.

Damn it sucks to be the leader.

The detainees are not charged with thoughtcrime. They are not charged with anything. This is a military action, not a civil one. Military strategists do not care who *did* attack us as much as they care about who is *going* to attack us.

First point:

Good point. Seems to be damned if you do and damned if you don't. Best point I, personally, have seen thus far.

However, if this was a military action on American citizens Martial Law would have to be enacted and habeus corpus would need to be suspended.

This has not been done - as a president if you are not upholding the constitution, you are not doing your job, you are liable for prosecution, and are against everything this thing we call America stands for. We cannot definitely break the law, do immoral things, and suspend the constitution in order to prevent what might happen.

TF

You are right- the constitution is not being upheld. But you do see that upholding the constitution would mean letting these people free and risking the lives of countless Americans. I love my constitution, but I do not think it was perfectly written and it won't be the first or last time when special circumstances will require us to set it aside. The founding fathers never anticipated us fighting an external/internal armed force that was a non-country. As a president, you are also not doing your job if you are not protecting the interests of the US. I, for one, am extremely interested in NOT being assploded by some terrorist's bomb. It is a question of values- security or liberty. Its real easy to say that I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees, but can you say that you would risk the lives of thousands (including yourself and your family) so that hundreds of strangers wouldn't live on their knees. Ben Franklin was the noblest of noble when he commented on it, but the average voter.... eh, not so much.

And lets not forget that the president's (or any politician's) FIRST job is this-

-to get RE-elected.

Its the nature of the system- another product of the constitution.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2005 09:54 am
dlowan wrote:
Lol - however, you will not be imprisoned until you have either pleaded guilty, or been tried.

Wrong ... I would be incarcerated once I'm caught. The next step, the step missing with those at Gitmo, is that I would be charged with a crime. I might get bail, depending upon whether the magistrate reviewing my case thought I was a flight risk. Of course I'm a stable pillar in my community, so maybe bail might be available to ensure I show up for my trial, which is going to be months away. If I was accused of a serious or complicated murder(s), my trial might be a year away, perhaps more. I would be in jail until my trial if I didn't have bail. Upon my conviction, I would be imprisoned for the length of my prison sentence.

Quote:
That is a truly ridiculous post, Tico, logically and a few other ways.

This statement of yours indicates you are either suffering from another bout of reading incomprehension (an ailment you often seem to contract when reading my posts), or your logical faculties are just strained after a hard week of work in the trenches. See below...

Quote:
Just as a starter you assume the conclusion you are arguing for in your premise.

Whether these people have committed any crime is exactly what is moot.

It would behoove you to recognize that what I'm arguing against is TTF's conclusion, which you will recall was ....

Ticomaya wrote:
thethinkfactory wrote:
To be a terrorist - you have to be tried and convicted.

We only have detainee's right now being treated as terrorists.

TF

Don't be ridiculous ... if I head out right now and rob the McDonald's down the street, I'm a robber. And I'll be a robber whether or not I'm tried and convicted.

We have detainee's right now that might be terrorists who are being treated as terrorists.

I'm not assuming the conclusion is truth ... in other words, I'm not saying if someone is incarcerated and ultimately charged with a crime, that they must be guilty of that crime. But the fact that they have not been convicted does not mean they didn't commit the crime for which they are incarcerated. That appears to have been TTF's conclusion.

My point is that if someone commits a robbery, he is a robber. Similarly, if someone commits an act of terrorism, he is a terrorist. These are facts regardless of whether a court of law has convicted them of those crimes.

TTF would have been accurate had he said: "To be a 'convicted' terrorist, you have to be tried and convicted of terrorism," or something along those lines.

Finally, in the American judicial system you are "considered" innocent until proven guilty in a court of law, but that doesn't mean you ARE innocent. And if acquitted, that doesn't mean you are innocent, only that you were found NOT GUILTY. Michael Jackson may very well be a pedophile, but he was found Not Guilty -- that doesn't mean he's "innocent."

Later, dlowan wrote:
Lol - I shal leave aside that argument - what I was actually arguing was Tico's assumption that all detainees are terrorists.

It certainly now seems "reading incomprehension" is the proper diagnosis. Hopefully after reading the above you now recognize that you did not comprehend what I had previously written.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2005 10:16 am
thethinkfactory wrote:
Tico -

1) I agree, that, if indeed we did know that they were terrorists, they would be terrorists, and certain rights of thiers, perhaps even thier right to life could be suspended.

Agreed, but it goes beyond your statement in a fundamental way: They might be terrorists even if we don't "know" they are terrorists. Much in the way that if I pass you on the street after committing my hypothetical robbery of McD's, I'm a robber even though you don't know it. I agree I'm not a convicted robber, but I am still a robber. I take issue with your claim that these folks must be innocent because they've not been charged or convicted.

Quote:
2) #1 could only be true in the case of Gitmo if we were infallible in our evidence gathering as humans. Because we are not we hold trials to 'prove' within what humans are capable of judging (reasonable doubt must be aside).

Yes we do.

Quote:
2a) We know 2 to be false merely by seeing that some gitmo detainees have been released. This proves that these detainees were not guilty nor could be found guilty in any court of law.

I agree with your first point ... I think your second point must be true, for it would be absurd to release them if a case could be proven.

Quote:
3) Even when arrested, in cases of civil courts and military courts, arrestees are given MORE rights that most not arestees are not given. (Right to trial, free councel, keeping silent, and the like - this differs a bit in the military - but not enough to say that thier rights are suspended).

I'm not sure what you mean by the term "arrestees" in this context. If you are stating that in the case of criminal charges being brought (e.g., my hypothetical trial for robbing McD's) I would receive these right, I agree this is the case as these rights are protected by the US Constitution.

(BTW: an accused is not entitled to "free counsel". Legal representation will be appointed to any individual at risk of having their personal liberty taken away from them, but this appointment of counsel is not "free." I have been "appointed counsel" in the past, and I always got paid, and the State imposes those fees -- reduced of course -- upon the defendant as additional "court costs.")

Quote:
4) What, in effect the interpretation of 'enemy combatant' has done is suspend all of these rights and claim that by simply arresting these people we have perfect knowledge that they have done something bad enough to warrant detention indefinitely and right suspension.

I don't think "perfect knowledge" is the right term. We need to ensure that a review has been conducted to ensure there is probable cause to hold these detainees, until such time as they are either released, or tried.

Quote:
5) #4 is unamerican, unconstitutional, immoral, and goes beyond any epistemological claim ever before made by an institution in America.

And it should not go on any longer than is absolutely necessary.

Quote:
6) #5 is true simply because we are allowing lawyers to make a sophistic style argument that is not interested in the truth - merely advantage.

Well, aside from your characterization of the argument for holding these folks as false, I agree with your statement to a point: The indefinite detention of these folks at Gitmo does not seem to be "interested in the truth," but does seem to be geared towards protecting the interests of the US and its soldiers.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2005 12:45 pm
JTT, that is pretty funny, the post about the fake conservative winning the conservative contest.

What a weird contest to hold forth in all seriousness.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2005 01:15 pm
Test of my nested Quoting skills
Brandon9000 wrote:

engineer wrote:
One key point for me is that Gitmo is not creating progress in the WoT, it is causing us to take hits. Gitmo is a very real liability in the "hearts and minds" part of the war.

Or maybe it's people like you bringing everyone's attention to it that has that effect. It would certainly be possible for us to quietly clean up our act. Having week after week of front page coverage about Abu Ghraib in the "NY Times," but barely a mention when an American hostage is beheaded is probably a big part of what's responsible for causing us to "take hits." They present the American abuses in prisoner interrogation as though they were terribly unusual, whereas the same thing has probably happened in every single war since the dawn of time. Fix the abuses and punish those responsible, but don't assist the enemy in using it for propaganda.

The reason Gitmo is harming our efforts in the WoT is that it is in the press everywhere in the world daily and is used to beat us over the head and to dismiss any positive effort we make. The NYT is the least of our concerns. (I don't read it, but I'd be very surprised if beheadings are not covered in the Times. It is certainly covered extensively on all news outlets I follow, including those overseas.)

Brandon9000 wrote:

engineer wrote:

Just to be clear, beheading hostages is as evil as possible. Anyone who finds that is being done in their name needs to speak up loudly and clearly that they do not condone it.

What is happening in Cuba is being done in my name. I expect my government to treat those in its custody humanely. No luxury suites, but no peeing on them through ventilation ducts either. I really don't care if no government in the history of mankind as met that standard, I expect the US to do so. I expect my government to allow those imprisioned to question their detention at a hearing and to see the evidence against them. I expect this to be done in a reasonable amount of time and those who we cannot build a reasonable case against to go free.

Me too, but what would you say about some American living through the Revolutionary War who showed not the tiniest interest in the war except to criticize American abuse of British prisoners? I would find such a thing very odd, even though I believe that the British prisoners ought to have been treated humanely.

Sure, that would be odd, but that is not an accurate analogy to the situation in Gitmo. If a 1776 patriot came across some soliders abusing prisoners, made them stop, then continued the fight, that is more accurate. Let's handle the situation in Gitmo using the best principle of our country, then get back to the fight.

Brandon9000 wrote:

engineer wrote:
I understand that we may occasionally let a bad guy get away. Better that than holding innocent people without a hearing, without recourse, without contact.

What if such a person assists a chain of events which eventually leads to the release by Al Qaeda of a bioweapon in New York City? I suspect that you will never give a direct answer to this question.

I'll give you a direct answer. Fear does not direct my actions. I have not been so intimidated by the WTC attack that I am willing to give up all rights for security. In the extremely unlikely case that someone who was arrested for jay walking and released kills the President, I'm not going to blame myself and sign away all the freedoms that we enjoy to ensure it doesn't happen again. Likewise, if we have no evidence to hold someone and it later turns out that they participate in a plot to release a bioweapon in NYC, I'm still not going to scream that we should have done differently. Remember, today it is an Arab we arrested far away, tomorrow it is the Arab who lives in your neighborhood. Next year, it's you. Arrest for cause, imprisionment with proof.
Brandon9000 wrote:

engineer wrote:
I know, you don't think any of them are innocent.

It would probably facilitate this discussion if you skimmed my posts before answering them. I said that the innocent ones should be released.

It's one thing to say it, and another to mean it. If you aren't outraged that it's taken three years to hold hearings for these prisoners, I can't see how you mean it. I've voted Republican for president since Reagan, but I didn't vote for Bush last time because he clearly doesn't understand the principles of the Republic. We incarcerated Japanese Americans out of fear in WWII. Everyone looked back and said we did the wrong thing. Fear is driving us that direction again.

Brandon9000 wrote:

engineer wrote:
Show me the evidence, and I'll be with you. Ask me to take your word and I think something is wrong. I expect my government to be completely happy with judicial review of any action they take. To hide prisoners at Gitmo for the express purpose of evading the US courts is wrong...

They ought never to appear in any civil court, only military tribunals. This is military not civil justice. Imagine the chaos and harm to our effort in WW2 if every German and Japanese prisoner of war were able to appear in an American court as though he were suspected of committing a domestic crime. In fact, as far as I know, none of them was granted that right.

I can live with that as long as the tribunals are open. What hurts us in Gitmo is not that we are holding prisoners, it is that we are so secretitive about it.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2005 01:23 pm
gungasnake wrote:

They're not POWs; they're terrorists. And Geneva conventions do not apply to terrorists or spies and the like. The normal means of treating spies and terrorists has always been to get any information you can out of them, and then either kill them or somehow use them as trade goods. That's universal; it's always been that way, everywhere. Anything better than that, including the treatment that the AlQuaeda terrorist a$$holes are receiving in Guantanimo, is better than they deserve.

Actually, they are clearly not terrorists. If they were captured on the battlefield, they are clearly combatants of some sort. It really doesn't matter to me if historically, people have abused, tortured and killed prisoners. I expect us not to do that. Everyone else does it didn't work when I was young, doesn't work for my kids and doesn't work for my government.

gungasnake wrote:
How about the ignorance of fifty million voters who actually voted for the gigolo/shyster tandem of Kerry and Edwards?

We weren't ignorant. While I didn't love Kerry, I knew what I had in Bush and knew I didn't like it. Many of my conservative, Christian relatives felt the same.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2005 01:48 pm
engineer wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

engineer wrote:
One key point for me is that Gitmo is not creating progress in the WoT, it is causing us to take hits. Gitmo is a very real liability in the "hearts and minds" part of the war.

Or maybe it's people like you bringing everyone's attention to it that has that effect. It would certainly be possible for us to quietly clean up our act. Having week after week of front page coverage about Abu Ghraib in the "NY Times," but barely a mention when an American hostage is beheaded is probably a big part of what's responsible for causing us to "take hits." They present the American abuses in prisoner interrogation as though they were terribly unusual, whereas the same thing has probably happened in every single war since the dawn of time. Fix the abuses and punish those responsible, but don't assist the enemy in using it for propaganda.

The reason Gitmo is harming our efforts in the WoT is that it is in the press everywhere in the world daily and is used to beat us over the head and to dismiss any positive effort we make. The NYT is the least of our concerns. (I don't read it, but I'd be very surprised if beheadings are not covered in the Times. It is certainly covered extensively on all news outlets I follow, including those overseas.)

Isn't it funny how beheading civilians, and shooting a wounded man trying to surrender in a helicopter the insurgents downed isn't hurting their war effort? It's a total double standard. And your idea that trumpeting our abuses from the rooftops, and implying, without evidence, that the abuses are on orders from the top, as some liberals do, is not needlessly harmful to the good guys is naive. Furthermore, on the day when the first of the civilian hostages was beheaded on videotape, I looked at the major Web newspapers and found virtually no mention of it, as compared to weeks of front page headlines on Abu Ghraib in the "Times." Most of us agree that the abuses of the prisoners we are holding are intolerable, but (a) making them so prominent as to give the enemy propaganda material, and (b) having no perspective on the fact that our sins are generally tiny compared to theirs, and (c) seeming to have no interest in America except for gleefully screaming out its shortcomings or setbacks, but never showing any form of support, appreciation, or solidarity is a strange form of patriotism. I am not accusing you, specifically, of this. You don't post in the political area enough for me to know.

engineer wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

engineer wrote:

Just to be clear, beheading hostages is as evil as possible. Anyone who finds that is being done in their name needs to speak up loudly and clearly that they do not condone it.

What is happening in Cuba is being done in my name. I expect my government to treat those in its custody humanely. No luxury suites, but no peeing on them through ventilation ducts either. I really don't care if no government in the history of mankind as met that standard, I expect the US to do so. I expect my government to allow those imprisioned to question their detention at a hearing and to see the evidence against them. I expect this to be done in a reasonable amount of time and those who we cannot build a reasonable case against to go free.

Me too, but what would you say about some American living through the Revolutionary War who showed not the tiniest interest in the war except to criticize American abuse of British prisoners? I would find such a thing very odd, even though I believe that the British prisoners ought to have been treated humanely.

Sure, that would be odd, but that is not an accurate analogy to the situation in Gitmo. If a 1776 patriot came across some soliders abusing prisoners, made them stop, then continued the fight, that is more accurate. Let's handle the situation in Gitmo using the best principle of our country, then get back to the fight.

Except the libs here don't say, "back to the fight." In general, what they say is closer to "the demon Bush based his personal crusade on lies and we should pull out now."

engineer wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

engineer wrote:
I understand that we may occasionally let a bad guy get away. Better that than holding innocent people without a hearing, without recourse, without contact.

What if such a person assists a chain of events which eventually leads to the release by Al Qaeda of a bioweapon in New York City? I suspect that you will never give a direct answer to this question.

I'll give you a direct answer. Fear does not direct my actions. I have not been so intimidated by the WTC attack that I am willing to give up all rights for security. In the extremely unlikely case that someone who was arrested for jay walking and released kills the President, I'm not going to blame myself and sign away all the freedoms that we enjoy to ensure it doesn't happen again. Likewise, if we have no evidence to hold someone and it later turns out that they participate in a plot to release a bioweapon in NYC, I'm still not going to scream that we should have done differently. Remember, today it is an Arab we arrested far away, tomorrow it is the Arab who lives in your neighborhood. Next year, it's you. Arrest for cause, imprisionment with proof.

Fear ought to have some input to your decisions when there is something to fear. A person who does not display self-preservation instinct is a fool. Releasing Al Qaeda members could reasonably be expected to have some probability of assisting in Al Qaeda's goals. Their goal appears to be the destruction of our civilization, together with the murder of many of our people. If you release someone captured in a group of Al Qaeda fighting against us on a battlefield, and he then assists in killing a million Americans in one single event, it would indeed be partially your fault. All this talk of evidence is misplaced. No one brought captured Axis soldiers into civil, or usually even military, courtrooms during WW2. We just held them and sometimes questioned them.

engineer wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

engineer wrote:

It would probably facilitate this discussion if you skimmed my posts before answering them. I said that the innocent ones should be released.

It's one thing to say it, and another to mean it. If you aren't outraged that it's taken three years to hold hearings for these prisoners, I can't see how you mean it. I've voted Republican for president since Reagan, but I didn't vote for Bush last time because he clearly doesn't understand the principles of the Republic. We incarcerated Japanese Americans out of fear in WWII. Everyone looked back and said we did the wrong thing. Fear is driving us that direction again.

Well, congratulations on being a better expert on my opinions than I am.

engineer wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

engineer wrote:
Show me the evidence, and I'll be with you. Ask me to take your word and I think something is wrong. I expect my government to be completely happy with judicial review of any action they take. To hide prisoners at Gitmo for the express purpose of evading the US courts is wrong...

They ought never to appear in any civil court, only military tribunals. This is military not civil justice. Imagine the chaos and harm to our effort in WW2 if every German and Japanese prisoner of war were able to appear in an American court as though he were suspected of committing a domestic crime. In fact, as far as I know, none of them was granted that right.

I can live with that as long as the tribunals are open. What hurts us in Gitmo is not that we are holding prisoners, it is that we are so secretitive about it.
I suppose the NY Times had free access to our prisoners in past wars, right?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2005 08:09 pm
Pummeled MP sues Pentagon. Soldier was impersonating unruly Guantanamo detainee in training
David Zucchino, Los Angeles Times

Saturday, June 18, 2005

A U.S. military policeman who was beaten by fellow MPs during a botched training drill at the Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, prison for detainees has sued the Pentagon for $15 million, alleging that the incident violated his constitutional rights.

Spec. Sean Baker, 38, was assaulted in January 2003 after he volunteered to wear an orange jumpsuit and portray an uncooperative detainee. Baker said the MPs, who were told that he was an unruly detainee who had assaulted an American sergeant, inflicted a beating that resulted in a traumatic brain injury.

Baker, a Persian Gulf War veteran who re-enlisted after the Sept. 11 terror attacks, was medically retired in April 2004. He said the assault had left him with seizures, blackouts, headaches, insomnia and psychological problems.

In the lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court in Lexington, Ky., Baker demanded reinstatement in the Army in a position that would accommodate his medical disability. He said the Army put him on medical retirement against his wishes.

"Somebody has to step up to serve, and I still want to serve," Baker said Friday in a telephone interview from his home in Georgetown, Ky.

A Pentagon spokeswoman declined to comment, saying she had not seen the lawsuit and could not discuss pending litigation.

The Pentagon first said that Baker's hospitalization after the training incident was not related to the beating. Later, officials conceded that he had been treated for injuries suffered when a five-man MP "internal reaction force" choked him, slammed his head several times against a concrete floor and sprayed him with pepper gas.

Baker said he had put on the jumpsuit and squeezed under a prison bunk after being told by a lieutenant that he would be portraying an unruly detainee. He said he was assured that MPs conducting the "extraction drill" knew it was a training exercise and that Baker was an American soldier.

As he was being choked and beaten, Baker said, he screamed a code word, "red," and shouted: "I'm a U.S. soldier! I'm a U.S. soldier!" The beating continued, he said, until the jumpsuit was yanked down during the struggle, revealing his military uniform.

No one has been disciplined or punished for the assault, said Baker's attorney, T. Bruce Simpson Jr. Simpson said the Army's Criminal Investigation Division told him last month that it had completed an investigation and had referred it to the Army's legal section for review. A CID spokesman did not respond to a request for comment Friday.

Baker receives $2,350 a month in military disability benefits, plus $1, 000 a month in Social Security, Simpson said.

Separately Friday, the Pentagon announced that a subsidiary of Houston- based Halliburton had been awarded $30 million to build an improved 220-bed prison at Guantanamo.

Kellogg Brown and Root Services Inc. of Arlington, Va., is to build a two- story prison that includes day rooms, exercise areas, medical bays, air conditioning and a security control room, according to the Pentagon. It is to be completed by July 2006.

Sen. Frank Lautenberg, D-N.J., issued a statement criticizing the deal, calling Halliburton the "scandal-plagued former employer of Vice President (Dick) Cheney." Lautenberg has sought hearings into the contracts awarded to Halliburton for work in Iraq.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Source
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2005 08:24 pm
Tico -

I REALLY appreciate you taking the time to answer my post line by line. Well thought out and well answered.

I only have two points:

1) You seem to be making a epistemological claim that terrorists can be terrorists without be convicted as such. We can almost never know who we convict or release ar properly released or imprisoned. It is simply the way we gain knowledge as humans.

However, we have a system of law that is independent from these natural facts AND you seem to admit much of the rest of where I am going so I will forgo repeating myself and preaching to the choir.

2) You have a trust (I am speaking for you so correct me if I am wrong) of this administrations detention of these people that I do not. I am not a conspiracy theorist but I mostly think that this administration does not care for the rules - and as we see in this situation - interprets the law as they see fit - for whatever reason.

No matter what we cannot suspend freedom in the name of freedom. I might sound like a calous prick here - but 9/11 has to partially be viewed as the price of doing business as a free country that has always had more porous borders than other nations. Were we naive - sure (locks on cockpit doors would have been a good start) but the need to ignore international and national law has gone too far and this needs to be corrected.

This, Brandon, is why we should stay focused on gitmo. Shoudl we make politcal hay out of it - no and I hate the politicians that do (and Terry Shiavo, and baseball doping etc etc...).

TF

p.s. I am really enjoying this thread and have been helped see a lot of other sides to this that I had not considered.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 07:12 am
A true challenge to my quoting abilities
Brandon9000 wrote:
engineer wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

engineer wrote:

Isn't it funny how beheading civilians, and shooting a wounded man trying to surrender in a helicopter the insurgents downed isn't hurting their war effort? It's a total double standard. And your idea that trumpeting our abuses from the rooftops, and implying, without evidence, that the abuses are on orders from the top, as some liberals do, is not needlessly harmful to the good guys is naive. Furthermore, on the day when the first of the civilian hostages was beheaded on videotape, I looked at the major Web newspapers and found virtually no mention of it, as compared to weeks of front page headlines on Abu Ghraib in the "Times." Most of us agree that the abuses of the prisoners we are holding are intolerable, but (a) making them so prominent as to give the enemy propaganda material, and (b) having no perspective on the fact that our sins are generally tiny compared to theirs, and (c) seeming to have no interest in America except for gleefully screaming out its shortcomings or setbacks, but never showing any form of support, appreciation, or solidarity is a strange form of patriotism. I am not accusing you, specifically, of this. You don't post in the political area enough for me to know.

In order for beheadings to hurt their war effort, we have to be able to claim the high ground. Keeping prisoners in a secret, off-shore facility (a) gives the enemy propaganda material, (b) allows them to claim that our sins are equal to theirs regardless of reality. Simply close Gitmo, move the prisoners to the US or back to their home countries and allow the Red Cross to visit them like you would POWs and you win. You can ditch this whole issue and go back to the WoT. (c) Pointing out that we are shooting ourselves in the foot by our actions and violating all the principles that grant us the moral high ground world over does not strike me as unpatriotic. You chastise me for "being a better expert on my opinions than I am", but you subscribe unpatriotic motives to anyone who questions what is happening in Gitmo?

Brandon9000 wrote:
engineer wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

engineer wrote:

Except the libs here don't say, "back to the fight." In general, what they say is closer to "the demon Bush based his personal crusade on lies and we should pull out now."

What I am saying it that this is a distraction from the fight and we should close it down, hold open tribunals for those who contest their detention as combatants and let the Red Cross in. I believe this would remove a source of anti-American propaganda at no cost to ourselves.

Brandon9000 wrote:
engineer wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

engineer wrote:

Fear ought to have some input to your decisions when there is something to fear. A person who does not display self-preservation instinct is a fool. Releasing Al Qaeda members could reasonably be expected to have some probability of assisting in Al Qaeda's goals. Their goal appears to be the destruction of our civilization, together with the murder of many of our people. If you release someone captured in a group of Al Qaeda fighting against us on a battlefield, and he then assists in killing a million Americans in one single event, it would indeed be partially your fault.

The reason we have due-process laws is to prevent this line of reasoning. I may fear that my neighbor is going to one day commit a murder. If I have proof, I can have the police act on it. If I don't, I may just be paranoid. If I report my neighbor to the police, they pick him up, but I have no evidence and they let him go, they are not responsible if he later commits murder. If we have evidence that these prisoners were combatants, hold them as such using the principles of the Geneva convention. No on in the world would fault us for that. If we don't, let them go.
Brandon9000 wrote:

All this talk of evidence is misplaced. No one brought captured Axis soldiers into civil, or usually even military, courtrooms during WW2. We just held them and sometimes questioned them.

We've always allowed open access to the American Red Cross and in WWII, there was no doubt that we'd picked up combatants and that they would be treated in accordance with the Geneva Conventions. Many were held in the US and remember their fair treatment.
Brandon9000 wrote:

engineer wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

engineer wrote:

It's one thing to say it, and another to mean it. If you aren't outraged that it's taken three years to hold hearings for these prisoners, I can't see how you mean it. ...

Well, congratulations on being a better expert on my opinions than I am.

I don't believe your postings are consistent with the opinion that you think innocent prisoners should be screened out and released promptly. It sounds to me that you are more in the "they must have done something, so let's just hold them as long as it takes" camp. I think that camp is bad for the WoT and bad for our country. If you are not part of that camp, sorry, I misunderstood your postings.
Brandon9000 wrote:

engineer wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

engineer wrote:

I suppose the NY Times had free access to our prisoners in past wars, right?

NYT, don't know and suspect not since the Geneva Conventions disapprove of prisoners being ridiculed in the press, but the Red Cross, always.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 08:13 am
revel wrote:
JTT, that is pretty funny, the post about the fake conservative winning the conservative contest.

What a weird contest to hold forth in all seriousness.

Ain't that the truth, Revel !!
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 02:34 pm
engineer wrote:

gungasnake wrote:

We weren't ignorant. While I didn't love Kerry, I knew what I had in Bush and knew I didn't like it. Many of my conservative, Christian relatives felt the same.

You know, if I were a man from Mars with no political axes to grind at all and were to come down here and try to figure out that last election, the thing I'd most likely notice about Kerry is that I'd never once seen a picture of him doing any sort of a middle class thing. It's always doing something on a 75' yacht, something or other on a ski resort for the wealthy, leading a pig around on a leash looking for truffles, posing in a tutu, or shooting skeets with a $15000 Barretta over/under type shotgun.

All of that's totally aside from being an outright traitor of course...

And then, the other guy on the ticket is a bonafide member of the trial lawyers' guild and, basically, part of the larger problem. What I mean is, that the dem party is supposed to represent the common man and, yet, the two most major financial pillars of the dem party are now trial lawyers and government workers' unions, i.e. the two interest groups whose interests most directly conflict with those of the ordinary citizen.

How can you stand it? I mean, what are you going to do to try to top that ticket next time around? A Benedict Arnold/Judas Iscariot ticket perhaps??
0 Replies