@Glennn,
No.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2019 02:07 am
@maxdog,
maxdog wrote:
I don t like it in a catholic country .
So when it's done in other countries than Costa Rica, Liechtenstein, Malta, Monaco, and Vatican (all constitutionally "Catholic countries"), then you don't mind?
Linkat

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2019 04:41 am
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

Did anyone have the little ones coming to your door tonight for treats?

Yes - since my kids are now a little too old for trick or treat - I dressed by little dog up - he has an ewok costume.

We greeted the kids at the door - most of them loved the little doggie. And the pup loved all the attention.

The one thing I love about our neighborhood - we border on a wealthy neighborhood - so the older kids go to that neighborhood figuring bigger and better candy - so we get all the little ones which I love.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2019 05:23 am
It's very hit and miss over here. Some areas do it, others don't. We've not had any for the last 5 or 6 years although in some parts it's popular.

It's just a prelude to the main event anyway.

https://media.timeout.com/images/101717539/630/472/image.jpg

When I was a kid we didn't have pumpkins, my mum used to carve a swede which I hated. Then as a "treat" we could go apple bobbing. Basically filling a bowl with water then floating apples in it.

You had to eat the apple with your hands behind your back.

Trick or treat didn't emerge over here until much later, the late 80s early 90s.
0 Replies

maxdog

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2019 07:31 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Yes I mind where there is the same religion but at least it s not happening infront of me in my country . So yes I m against this feast every where there is christians living . This must to be obvious.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2019 07:34 am
@maxdog,
maxdog wrote:
yes I m against this feast every where there is christians living . This must to be obvious.
Well, not for me since you spoke of "catholic country" (And there are only those few which I mentioned above).
maxdancona

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2019 07:46 am
There is a part Halloween that is joyfully subversive. It is a time when social norms become a little less rigid. The witches and devils that are common are in part a push back on religion.

Halloween is the only time that some people feel comfortable cross-dreaaaing or wearing fiahnets or whatever personal boundary they want to cross.

This challenge to conformity is the real reason people find it objectionable. And to me it is the best part of Halloween.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2019 07:58 am
@Walter Hinteler,
That wouldn't be us.

"Cold is God's way of telling us to burn more Catholics."
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2019 08:07 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Halloween is the only time that some people feel comfortable cross-dreaaaing or wearing fiahnets or whatever personal boundary they want to cross.

So it is spirit week at my daughter's Christian school. Yesterday they had the option of either dressing as a character from a 1994-1995 movie (the year the school first opened) or wear their usual uniform.

My daughter dressed as the American President - wore my suit jacket and slacks and my husband's tie. So I guess she crossed - dressed.

And I remember attending a Halloween party at youth group when I was young - a bit more liberal church so they did have a Halloween party (who knows maybe they called it Harvest Feast - and we just said Halloween as kids) - yeah there was a teen boy that dressed as a very sexy girl with the fishnet stockings - we all found it a hoot.

No one takes this seriously (at least most of us) - it is all in fun.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2019 08:33 am
@Linkat,
Did you go to see Rocky Horror Picture Show when it was still cool and edgy?

My daughter discovered it recently.... but now it just seems quaint. There is a need for subversion.

Linkat

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2019 08:48 am
@maxdancona,
Yeah I did a couple of times. They showed it once on our college campus - with the price of the ticket, it included all the props you needed to participate.

And then again I went into the city to see the movie.

It was fun at the time - but we all grow and sometimes those things we find were fun, do not seem worth the time. But I can understand someone in their 20s enjoying it.

Nothing wrong with it -
maxdancona

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2019 10:38 am
@Linkat,
My point is that society has changed to the point that this movie, one subversive and shocking, is now tame to the point of being quaint. The way I enjoyed that movie is quite different than my daughter's experience.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2019 11:18 am
@maxdancona,
Society certainly has changed.

https://i.imgur.com/lnDjukQ.jpg
Church of San Bernardino, Milan, a small chapel used as an ossuary, 13th century.

https://i.imgur.com/2JyuwKH.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/4oM7ErQ.jpg
A so-called Enclosed Garden (Bentlage Abbey,Germany, 200 preciously decorated relics), altar from around 1500.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2019 11:27 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

My point is that society has changed to the point that this movie, one subversive and shocking, is now tame to the point of being quaint. The way I enjoyed that movie is quite different than my daughter's experience.

I don't remember the show being shocking when I was in college....I am over 50. I just remember it being crazy and fun.
maxdog

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2019 11:48 am
@Walter Hinteler,
It s not obvoius for you that chatolic country should ban hallowen ?
izzythepush

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2019 12:08 pm
@maxdog,
Not as obvious as the spelling of Catholic.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2019 12:18 pm
@farmerman,
A Catholic deanery close to where I live is celebrating just now a holy mass in a cemetery chapel, completely "Mexican style" (besides a line on the poster Wink )

https://i.imgur.com/LaaqXVgl.jpg
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2019 12:31 pm
@Linkat,
Would your parents have taken teenaged you to go see Rocky Horror? Mine neither.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2019 12:36 pm
@maxdancona,
I don't know what point you're making. My parents didn't take me to lots of things when I was a teenager, it didn't stop me going.

I don't know what the fuss is about Rocky Horror, last time I went to see it on a staff outing I stayed in the bar.

Once there I remembered how **** it was and that I'd rather get pissed.

I was on my own for the first half but not the second.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2019 12:39 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Would your parents have taken teenaged you to go see Rocky Horror? Mine neither.

No my parents wouldn't be interested in it - they would have dropped me off to see it - but they probably wouldn't want to watch it.

Same now - I am not interested in seeing it now.

The fun part was acting like a bohemian and throwing stuff at the screen and singing, dancing and yelling at the movie.

It wasn't really the content of the movie.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Hallowen
  3. » Page 5
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/06/2024 at 06:47:32