Need online map help.

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 07:55 am
I need to find a site that lets you customize your driving directions.
All the sites I have found give you directions , and the directions they give are not the route I want to take.
I have tried breaking down my travel route to see if that would help and it still doesnt give me the results Im looking for.
Is there a site that you can trace the route you want to take and have it give you street names, mileage etc?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,112 • Replies: 36
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 08:49 am
Interesting. Mapquest and Yahoo maps let me break it down -- like, if I want to go a certain way and it's not the way they suggest, I plug in home --- > midway point (intersection, usually), and then separately midway point --- > destination.

That usually works pretty well.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 09:02 am
Yeah. I did that. The only problem I am having is that I dont know any other points between here and Albq that make a shorter drive. Embarrassed
I want to see options for : shortest distance, fastest distance, more stopping points...

I have been slowly working mapquest for all its worth. But I am getting side tracked and not getting the results I want. >sigh<
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 09:05 am
Hmmm.... I think they all assume you want fastest distance.

I'm doing something similar in plotting a drive to Iowa, I just looked at the original route and then played with it -- if I stop off here, how much time does it add? If I go this other way, (home --> Dubuque, Dubuque --> Sioux City), how long does that take? Etc.

Could be that there is a website that fulfills your conditions though, don't know of one but maybe someone else does.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 09:06 am
shewolf, www.randmcnally.com lets you customize your route somewhat. Use the "Plan a Road Trip" option.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 09:07 am
Oooh!
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 09:09 am
If this is something that you will be using again you might want to pick up a program like Microsoft streets and maps. It even allows you to set stop points and gives you local restaurants and attractions for sight seeing. You can set gas prices for approximate cost, and adjust the speed for more accurate time frames.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 09:10 am
ooo.. great suggestion!

That is what I was doing with mapquest.
and somehow.. my planned map trip ended up in Dallas!
0 Replies

ul

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 09:29 am
Right now I am planning a trip. I am using again mapblast.com, which gives me either the shortest or the fastest trip, good directions.
When I tried www.randmcnally.com I got the same route- but I was told that it would take me an hour longer.
Any idea why?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 09:32 am
Different assumptions about how fast you'd drive?

I plugged some stuff into randmcnally but it's not as promising as I'd hoped -- not so much a discovery tool as an organizational tool. (As in, if you know where you want to stop on the way, you can plug that in, but from the preamble I thought it'd like come up with suggestions.)

I'll check out mapblast.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 09:57 am
they also take into account that you will obey the speed limit. Some give a 5+ or 5- mph diffrence to drive time to consider your speed.
i have goen 2 diffrent time assumptions from mapquest with the same direction outline.

Where can I find that program sublime?
Is that something to purchase in Office Depot or someplace like that?
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 10:19 am
My friend gave me my copy, I assume that office depot or maybe even the map section of a book store would have it.

I just got back from Ely, MN and we took the exact route they suggested. MapQuest had us going way out of the way.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 10:23 am
that is what mapquest is giving me. I want to go basically..a straight line from Austin to Albuquerque...
mapquest's suggestion adds almost 5 more hours of driving and a really round about way of getting from point a to point b. Mad
I will look for that software.
Or.. I could just do the old fashioned way.. buy a damn atlas and READ IT.
Laughing
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 10:27 am
I am a fan of the atlas myself, but that program keeps construction and other things like that up to date. Also the restaurant feature is good it even seperates them into categorys.

If you have the time you can buy it online.
http://www.gtpcc.org/gtpcc/streetsandtrips2005.htm
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 10:36 am
Hmm.. going point about the construction..
I know from Santa Rosa to Vaughn there was over a years worth of road construction not too long ago. Mad
that is my favorite route!!! GRRRR
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 10:45 am
I might have spoke too soon, apparently the 2005 version is not being received too well.
link

I have the 2004 version and has worked well but I have only used it a couple times, maybe try Google Maps
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 10:46 am
damn.
Can I just borrow yours??
haha
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 10:48 am
Sure stop on by, oh wait you would need a map program to get here, hmm this is a problem.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 10:52 am
Laughing

if i go by mapquest, .. ill be there in a month.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 10:54 am
check out the google map it is pretty cool, if you type in your address and city you can get a sattelite view of your house.
0 Replies