California earthquake near Osso Buco

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 12:05 am
Osso Buco, tell us how the strong earthquake near your home felt, and the tsunami alert.

BBB

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/14/AR2005061401964_pf.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 711 • Replies: 12
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 02:31 am
I believe Osso is in the Bay Area, around 350 miles from Crescent City, the town nearest the quake. Its possible it was felt in the Bay Area, but reports I've seen say is was only moderately felt in Sacramento. According to THIS, it was pretty much a non-event in Osso's environs.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 02:54 am
B, osso posted here about 25 minutes before you opened this thread, and the tone doesn't transmit concern for the quake...

t, I think she's north even of there, if I recall her commute to San Fran to our Gathering there April before last.

In any event, I'll bet she's gone to bed by now, so we'll have to get her report tomorrow.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 05:40 am
Here's what she said at the time.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/a2k-post1397496.html#1397496
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 06:28 am
That is in osso's neighborhood, though. She's up there in the far north of CA (or, as she says, the "north north"), I believe.

As a CA native, though, that doesn't sound like much of a quake...
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 06:29 am
osso is actually much further north than San Francisco and definitely not very far from Crescent City (as the crow flies). So she would have felt it pretty good if the water hadn't absorbed too much of the shock waves. And yes, where she lives, she is is in danger of any possible tsunami.

I hope you're ok, osso! Talk to us soon!
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 07:44 am
Osso Buco
Osso lives very close to the earthquake epicenter, in Arcata about 15 miles north of Eureka and nearly 300 miles north of San Francisco.

My daughter, who lives inland north of Sacramento, didn't feel the quake.

Massive Tsunami evacuation:

The tsunami siren system in Crescent City was activated at 8:14 p.m. and continued for about 40 minutes, Del Norte County Sheriff Dean Wilson said.

The sheriff's office led the evacuation of about 4,000 people - mostly from Crescent City. Wilson reported some minor traffic accidents but no injuries. He said it was the third evacuation he has taken part of in his 27 years in law enforcement.

"You have a short time frame to deal with it," Wilson said. "We had approximately 20 minutes to evacuate and we cleared out about 4,000 people. There was some disruption of phone service, which hampered the effort. But we had a great response from volunteers, local enforcement and the CHP."

Xiojin Yuan, the owner of the beachfront Hampton Inn and Suites in Crescent City, said police quickly told him to evacuate the guests at the 53-room hotel.

"People evacuated in a really orderly way. The police and firefighters in Crescent City did an excellent job," Yuan said.

He stayed alone at the hotel to make sure no one was left behind. "My car was the only one in the parking lot," he said.

Crescent City was hit by the only known tsunami to cause deaths in the continental United States. Eleven people died and 29 city blocks were washed away there in 1964 by a tsunami spawned by a quake. Four people who were camping on a beach in Newport, Ore., also died in that tsunami.

Some of the evacuees Tuesday were tenants at a senior housing complex, the Surf Apartments. The old Surf Hotel was badly damaged by the 1964 tsunami and was vacant for decades until being rebuilt into senior housing. At least one resident, however, chose not to leave.

"I told them I'd stay with the ship," Jack Wheeldon, 77, told The Daily Triplicate of Crescent City. "I stayed right in my room and watched my movie."

The area hit is where the North American, Pacific Ocean and Juan de Fuca plates converge and has earthquakes of this magnitude about once a decade, said Lucy Jones, the scientist in charge of the U.S. Geological Survey office in Pasadena.

"This is a relatively common event," Jones said. "It's what is called a triple junction where three plates come together."

The USGS reported many aftershocks in northern California in the hours after the initial quake but none were significant.

Even though this earthquake did not lead to a tsunami, Jones warned that one similar to the devastating tsunami that hit Asia last December could happen in California.

"We the potential for an earthquake just like the Sumatra one," she said.

The latest quake was similar in strength to the 6.9-magnitude Loma Prieta quake of 1989 that killed 40 people and caused about $6 billion dollars in structural damage in the Bay Area.

"But unlike Loma Prieta, this was located off shore so the damages were not heavy," Lekic said.

More about the history of the port of Eureka Bay:

http://www.westfalleureka.com/
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 08:23 am
OK - I stand corrected. For some reason, I thought Osso lived around Novato, a Marin County suburb of SF. Arcata is a lot closer to Crescent City. Nothing conclusive here, but I just did a websearch, using Arcata, linked first with the word "earthquake" and then with the word "tsunami", and came up with nothing relevant to yesterday's event. Looks like we gotta wait untill Osso wakes up and drags herself to her computer to learn the real deal.
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 11:32 am
The tsunami alert even reached my home.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 11:50 am
There wasn't any damage from the quake, according to today's paper so I'm thinking Osso is fine.

Mr. B, Mo and I spent the night in Gearhart and were very surprised this morning to learn that the low lying areas of town had supposedly been evacuated last night.

Especially since we were in the "tsunami" zone.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 11:54 am
What me worried? I am in Eureka. I was posting when it happened, forget what thread - prolly under Marriage and Relationships. Heh.

It wasn't particularly strong to me. Remember, I'm from LA, land of lots of tremors.

On the other hand, I haven't been outside yet. Maybe my office is gone...

Will post a bit later on, have to go to work now.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 11:58 am
Just reread this thread a little more closely. First of all, thank you for your concern, folks, I appreciate it.

and second, I'll post a little more about local reaction when I find out what it is... back later.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 12:41 pm
Zip local reaction - it's quiet here at work, a beautiful sunny day.
0 Replies