8
   

Arsenokoitai - A mistranslation?

 
 
edgarblythe
 
  1  
Sun 20 Oct, 2019 02:44 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Sturgis wrote:



The bible is often nonsense, laced with and dribbling with utter rot!


The bible is Total nonsense.

Even the Song of Songs?

I liken you, my darling, to a mare among Pharaoh’s chariot horses. 10 Your cheeks are beautiful with earrings, your neck with strings of jewels. 11 We will make you earrings of gold, studded with silver.
chai2
 
  1  
Sun 20 Oct, 2019 07:16 pm
@edgarblythe,
Honestly?

Does nothing for me.
Never did.
edgarblythe
 
  1  
Sun 20 Oct, 2019 07:23 pm
@chai2,
Just kidding.
0 Replies
 
InfraBlue
 
  1  
Sun 20 Oct, 2019 09:16 pm
@maxdancona,
For Chai's guy it sure seems like he's hung up on one translation of one word of the Bible, according to the blog page of his that she posted.
0 Replies
 
izzythepush
 
  0  
Mon 21 Oct, 2019 07:31 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I think this is wishful thinking. Why would a Bronze Age theocracy have the same views as a 21st century liberal democracy?



The piece of scripture in question is Paul's letter to the Corinthians.

Paul lived during the Roman Empire. At one point he boasts of being a Roman citizen.

The Bronze Age ended 1200 BCE.

If you'd said Donald Trump was a contemporary of Alfred the Great you wouldn't have been any less wrong.

Stick to physics.
maxdancona
 
  1  
Mon 21 Oct, 2019 10:18 am
@izzythepush,
It seems highly unlikely that the Apostle Paul was woke (in the 21st century sense) on LGBTQ issues. Still, I get your point that applying the Bronze age Hebrew culture of Leviticus with the first century Jewish culture isn't perfecr. However...

1. Paul was a religious Jewish student before becoming a Christian Apostle. He certainly read Leviticus.

2. Paul taught religiously strict gender roles, including abstinence outside of marriage and the submission of women to men. He is not really a hero of modern progressive values.

3. Since most people here dont accept the Bible, this argument seems silly. (Although that never seems to stop either of us.)
izzythepush
 
  0  
Mon 21 Oct, 2019 10:29 am
@maxdancona,
Paul didn't write his letter to the Corinthians during the Bronze Age. That was over 1,200 years previous.

There is nothing else to say on the matter.

I thought you scientists were supposed to like facts.

Someone interested in History might consider that Paul's opinion on homosexuality may be influenced by the behaviour of the Romans. The Romans were very accepting of homosexuality, so rejecting it could be a way of rejecting Roman rule.

In short it could be as much political as it is religious.

0 Replies
 
maxdancona
 
  1  
Mon 21 Oct, 2019 11:33 am
As Carl Sagan said, in science "extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof." I am not the one making extraordinary claims about the Apostle Paul.

It is possible that the Apostle Paul was running the first century equivalent of GSA meetings in secret. There is no way for me to prove otherwise.

The facts we know are

1. Paul was originally a strict follower of the religion that included Leviticus.

2. Paul taught traditional gender rules including abstinence outside of marriage and the submission of women to their husbands.

3. Contemporary religious leaders to Paul, and those in the following centuries said things that would be considers homophobic and offense today.

If you want to still believe that Paul was a progressive thinker on LGBTQ issues... there is nothing I can do to stop you.

In my opinion, this claim is ridiculous.
izzythepush
 
  1  
Mon 21 Oct, 2019 12:29 pm
@maxdancona,
Nobody is making extraordinary claims about anything. People are talking about the meaning of a particular word and you're getting your facts wrong.

You seem to take a very simplistic view of History founded on the assumption that previous generations were always more conservative.

That's what your argument is founded on.

Nobody is saying Paul was remotely progressive regarding LGBT issues. That's a straw man you've just plucked out of your arse because you can't handle being wrong about anything.

The only one making extraordinary claims is you, placing Paul 1200 years prior to the birth of Christ.
maxdancona
 
  1  
Mon 21 Oct, 2019 04:49 pm
@izzythepush,
1. I dont know which "facts" you think I am getting wrong. You seem to be putting words into my mouth. It would be nice if you quoted.

2. I never said that Paul was around 1200 years ago. I said that he read Leviticus... and that he was a turtle.
maxdancona
 
  1  
Mon 21 Oct, 2019 04:54 pm
Izzy, I realize you came to this thread as my stalker (and as usual every post you made on this thread is focused on me). But I am curious... did you read the original article.

If not, maybe you could go back and read it. I would be interested in knowing your opinion. Do you agree with the writer's thesis?
izzythepush
 
  1  
Tue 22 Oct, 2019 12:50 am
@maxdancona,
Even now it eludes you.

You claimed Paul wrote during the Bronze Age.

That's a huge error.

The Bronze Age ended 1200 years prior to the alleged birth of Christ.

Basic maths means you put Paul at least 1200 years prior to the birth of Christ.

Basic Maths, addition and subtraction, hardly advanced calculus.
0 Replies
 
izzythepush
 
  1  
Tue 22 Oct, 2019 12:53 am
@maxdancona,
I came here like I come to all threads out of interest. And like all threads if something interests me or if someone makes a huge error I will comment.

And they don't get any more huge than the one you've made.

On this thread your posts are a mixture of assumptions and inaccuracies, I can't see anything else apart from the odd straw man.
roger
 
  3  
Tue 22 Oct, 2019 02:18 am
The title gave no clue as to how much fun this thread was going to be.
0 Replies
 
maxdancona
 
  -1  
Tue 22 Oct, 2019 04:06 am
@izzythepush,
Since you are here anyway Izzy... would you care to express your opinion on the topic of the thread? Do you agree with the thesis of the thread or nor? What are your thoughts?
izzythepush
 
  2  
Tue 22 Oct, 2019 05:09 am
@maxdancona,
Paul personifies the Council of Nicea, that was convened under Constantine to make Christianity the official state religion.

It's all about controlling people. Paul codified Christianity in his own image and Constantine ran with it.

I'm not that bothered with what Paul thought, Jesus himself makes no mention of homosexuality.
maxdancona
 
  -1  
Tue 22 Oct, 2019 05:54 am
@izzythepush,
Thank you for (finally) at least mentioning the topic of this thread.
0 Replies
 
izzythepush
 
  3  
Tue 22 Oct, 2019 08:39 am
maxdancona wrote:

It is stalking...


Just looking at your home page Max shows lots of posts on threads I've not responded to.

These ones.

https://able2know.org/topic/536666-1#post-6916150

https://able2know.org/topic/536661-1#post-6915982

https://able2know.org/topic/535741-2#post-6915312

There's also these threads that I have posted on, but not in response to anything you've written.

https://able2know.org/topic/536388-1#post-6915084

https://able2know.org/topic/536574-1#post-6914989

That's the first two pages, and the only other threads are this one and this, where I've only responded to one of your posts and most of my replies have been to the OP.

https://able2know.org/topic/536521-1#post-6914895

In view of the above it's clear you're full of it. If you actually checked up on things before making wild unsubstantiated claims you'd fare much better, honestly.
0 Replies
 
hawkeye10
 
  -3  
Wed 23 Oct, 2019 01:07 am
izzythepush wrote:

You were unable to give your opinion without wrapping it up in false and misleading information.

Your opinion is uninformed and ignorant and essentially of no value.

Stick to physics, I'm not a physicist so I have no way of knowing if you're wrong or not, but it has to be better than the drivel you spout on other threads.


Izzy....always shitting on the speakers who say **** he/she/whatever does not like....never dealing with the argument.

What a joke.
izzythepush
 
  2  
Wed 23 Oct, 2019 01:18 am
@hawkeye10,
You would be on the side of false information as you've never got a thing right in your entire career on A2K.
0 Replies
 
 

 
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 07/26/2021 at 06:32:20