help please simple present or present continous

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 01:21 am
I had done myself but teacher ask me to check my answer again. what going on?? thanks for helping me :wink:

Read the following sentence carefully and decide if the verb tense is simple present or present continous/progressive.

1.Rachel and Hannah usually come to class early. (Simple Present) ( Present continuous/Progressive)

2. I exercise in class at 8 a.m. every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.(Simple Present) ( Present continuous/Progressive)

3.Rachel and Hannah are coming to class late today!(Simple Present) ( Present continuous/Progressive)

4.I read two different kinds of magazines every week.(Simple Present) ( Present continuous/Progressive)

5.Ethan reads science fiction all the time.(Simple Present) ( Present continuous/Progressive)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,051 • Replies: 4
No top replies

JTT

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 07:52 am
Re: help please simple present or present continous
fireboy89 wrote:
I had done myself but teacher ask me to check my answer again. what going on?? thanks for helping me :wink:

Read the following sentence carefully and decide if the verb tense is simple present or present continous/progressive.

1.Rachel and Hannah usually come to class early. (Simple Present) ( Present continuous/Progressive)

(Simple Present)

2. I exercise in class at 8 a.m. every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.(Simple Present) ( Present continuous/Progressive)

(Simple Present)

3.Rachel and Hannah are coming to class late today!(Simple Present) ( Present continuous/Progressive)

Neither. Present continuous for the future

4.I read two different kinds of magazines every week.(Simple Present) ( Present continuous/Progressive)

(Simple Present)

5.Ethan reads science fiction all the time.(Simple Present) ( Present continuous/Progressive)

(Simple Present)

0 Replies

Wy

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 12:53 pm
JTT, are you sure? The one that stand out to me is No. 5, "Ethan reads..." That sure sounds continuous to me; wouldn't "Ethan is reading..." be a simple present tense?

What does "Present continuous" mean if it doesn't mean "now and ongoing"?
0 Replies

Valpower

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 01:42 pm
Wy wrote:
JTT, are you sure? The one that stand out to me is No. 5, "Ethan reads..." That sure sounds continuous to me; wouldn't "Ethan is reading..." be a simple present tense?

What does "Present continuous" mean if it doesn't mean "now and ongoing"?

Present continuous is used for the following:
A temporary action happening now - Something which is going on right now (but it will stop in the future)
A definite plan for the future - Something we intend to do, usually in the near future

[Edited because I forgot something]
Present simple is used for action that is a habit or describes a state. The confusion arises from the word "continous" which would seem to suggest a habit but actually refers to the fact that the action is currently ongoing or will definitely be ongoing.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 02:18 pm
Ah. Thanks. I don't remember learning these terms in school... but it's been a loooong time!
0 Replies